X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy Roots

I cabled a 4" main 60' 5 weeks ago although I did restore flow I explained to the customer I could not guarantee the job due to heavy roots. I did not clean the line and would like advise on how too in the future. My equipement was the k-6200 w/the 5/8 cable. I ran a spade pass first then 3" blades. Advise?

Piper,

When you say heavy roots do you mean a heavy amount of small roots or a few heavy weight roots?

If it felt like you were hitting several bad spots while cabling I would think twice about putting your equipment in again. Its a good way to tear it up. Since you were able to get it open I would suggest renting a camera if you do not own one and checking out the inside of the pipe. have the customer there to see what you see, its better in person than on tape. If there are several bad spots in line your customer might be better off with a new sewer.

If it was only one bad spot with a lot of roots there then you might consider using a locater and just repairing the section that is bad. It was generally my rule of thumb when dealing with a back hoe that once you have a crew and equipment on site it doesnt cost much more to go ahead and replace the whole line(if it was not an extremely long one). Most customers are usually very agreeable to this line of thinking. The key is to always be on the up and up with them.

Root killers might buy your customer a little time if they need to budget for their costs. Copper sulfide is the only active ingredient I've ever known to actually work. As long as that is whats listed in any product it will work.

Plumber Rick might have more suggestions as he has been involved with this line of the trade much more recently than I.
    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

PIPER, IT'S DIFFICULT TO TELL WHAT IS WRONG IN A SEWER YOU DON'T HAVE ANY TRACK RECORD ON. IF THE SEWER WERE TO TALK AND TELL YOU WHERE THE PROBLEM WAS THEN IT WOULD BE MUCH EASIER TO CLEAN.
      I HAVE RUN CAMERAS INTO SEWERS THAT WERE CLEARED JUST DAYS BEFORE. NOTICE I DIDN'T SAY "CLEANED". IF THE SEWER IS CLAY AND DOESN'T INCORPORATE A MISSION STYLE BAND IT'S GOING TO HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO HAVE ROOTS AT MANY JOINTS.
      I'VE OWNED CAMERAS LONGER THAN RIDGID PUT THEIR HANDS INTO IT. I CAN TELL YOU THAT THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE DOING DRAIN CLEANING ARE NOT CLEANING DRAINS. THEY ARE MERELY CLEARING A HOLE THROUGH THE STOPPAGE. SO THE QUESTION IS? ARE YOU USING THE PROPER COMBINATION OF CABLE AND CUTTERS. DO YOU KNOW WHERE THE STOPPAGE IS? DO YOU KNOW WHERE ALL OF THE OTHER SOON TO BE STOPPAGES ARE. DOY YOU SNAKE ALL THE WAY OUT TO THE CITY MAIN. ARE YOU CAPABLE OF CLEANING A 6'' LATERAL THROUGH A 4'' CLEANOUT?
      MAYBE ALL OF THESE ISSUES DON'T APPLY TO YOUR SITUATION. BUT FROM MY EXPERIENCE, 90% OF DRAIN CLEANING IS EXERCISE. 10% IS CLEANING. YOUR NOT GOING TO MAKE THE PIPE SPOTLESS IN MOST CASES. BUT YOU WANT TO NOT ONLY CLEAR THE STOPPAGE, YOU WANT TO OPEN THE LINE UP TO THE MAXIMUM. HOW DO YOU KNOW IF THIS WAS ACCOMPLISHED. YOU DON'T. UNLESS YOU CAMERA THE LINE TO KNOW. MOST CUSTOMERS ARE NOT GOING TO PAY FOR THIS TO BE DONE. I CAMERA LINES FOR MANY OTHER PLUMBING COMPANIES AND FOR MY OWN CUSTOMERS. ONCE CAMERED I THEN KNOW THE PROBLEM SPOTS AND THE TOTAL DISTANCE TO THE CITY MAIN. I MAKE A RECORD OF THESE SPOTS AND THEN CONCENTRATE MY CLEANING AT THESE SPOTS. RECAMERA THE LINE AND THEN I CAN SAY THE LINE IS CLEAN. SOMETIMES I NEED TO JET THE LINE TO ACCOMPLISH THIS. GREASE AND DIRT ARE THE MAIN JETTER ISSUES. I CAN CUT AND CLEAN ROOTS WITH MAY TRAILER JETTER. I USE A $800. WARTHOG NOZZLE WITH A SLOW CONTROLLED ROTATION. THIS IS GOOD WHEN TRYING TO CLEAN A LARGER LINE THROUGH A SMALLER CLEANOUT. UNLIKE A CABLE WITH BLADES WATER JETS DO THE CLEANING AND WILL EXPAND TO CLEAN THE LARGER PIPE. I DO HAVE EXPANDING CUTTERS FOR 4'' - 6'' PIPE. I TYPICALLY WON'T USE THOSE UNLESS I'VE CAMERED THE LINE FIRST. VERY EXPENSIVE CUTTERS AND VERY HARD ON 90 DEGREE TURNS.
      SO TO SUM UP YOUR ORIGINAL QUESTION. I CAN'T GUARANTEE A JOB WITHOUT KNOWING I'VE DONE MY BEST. SURE SOME COMPANIES WILL GIVE YOU A 6 MONTH GUARANTEE, BUT THAT IS ALREADY INCORPORATED INTO THEIR PRICE. THEY CAN AFFORD TO COME BACK A FEW TIMES IF NEEDED.

Comment

PLUMBER, I THINK WE BOTH ANSWERED THE ORIGINAL POST AT THE SAME TIME. DIDN'T SEE YOURS UNTIL I ALREADY POSTED. YOU GIVE SOME VERY GOOD ADVISE. I ALWAYS GIVE A NARRATED TAPE TO THE CUSTOMER WHEN FINISHED. I ALWAYS ATTEMPT TO HAVE THE CUSTOMER THERE WHEN I CAMERA, TO HELP EXPLAIN WHAT THEY ARE LOOKING AT. TYPICALLY BEFORE THE PIPE IS IN NEED OF REPLACEMENT THE CUSTOMER WILL HAVE A TRACK RECORD OF PROBLEMS. IF IT'S MY PERSONAL CUSTOMER, I'LL HAVE A COMPUTER RECORD OF ALL OF MY CLEANINGS AND NOTES I'VE WRITTEN ON MY INVOICES.
        YOU DON'T VISIT THE DOCTOR FOR THE FIRST TIME AND RECOMMENDS SURGERY. I WOULD GET A SECOND OR THIRD OPINION. I ALWAYS AM AMASED AT THE CUSTOMERS THAT TELL ME THEY HAD THEIR SEWER CAMERED, BUT DON'T HAVE A VIDEO TAPE. THE TAPE COST ONLY $1.00
        OR THE ONES THAT DO HAVE A TAPE, THERE IS NO INFORMATION ON IT. NO NARRATION, FOOTAGE, MARKS ON THE PROPERTY. WHAT GOOD IS IT. MOST COMPANIES USE THEIR CAMERA TO SELL JOBS TO PEOPLE WHO DON'T KNOW THE FIRST THING ABOUT A SEWER. NO LESS RIGHT FROM WRONG. I USE MY CAMERA TO DIAGNOSE THE PROBLEM AND THEN COME UP WITH A SOLUTION. MOST OF THE TIME I SEE THE LINE NEEDS A GOOD CLEANING, OR A PROPERLY PLACED CLEANOUT. YOU WOULD BE AMASED AT A BEFORE AND AFTER VIDEO OF MINE.
        I ALSO OWN BOTH PIPE BURSTING (TRENCHLESS) AND PIPE RELINING EQUIPTMENT. THIS DOESN'T GET USED UNTIL ALL ELSE FAILS. ONCE AGAIN I DON'T SELL UNNECESSARY WORK UNTIL ALL ELSE FAILS. I'M NOT ON COMISSION. I DON'T EVEN ADVERTISE. ALL OF MY WORK IS FROM REFERRALS OF SATISFIED CUSTOMERS AND OTHER CONTRACTORS.
        ALL I CAN TELL YOU IS EVERY SEWER I PUT A CAMERA INTO HAS SOME SORT OF ISSUE. ROOTS, STANDING WATER, OFFSETS, CRACKS. JUST TO NAME A FEW. THAT DOESN'T MEAN EVERY SEWER NEEDS FIXING. MOST IN FACT WORK JUST FINE. IF THERE WAS NO CAMERA. NO ONE WOULD EVEN KNOW THERE WAS AN ISSUE.

Comment

Working...
        X