Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do you KNOW you cleared a drain?

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
    You would never know unless you did a camera, and had a video.
    Love Your Aviator ,being a Sharks Fan. Can You tell Us about it????
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Some Day Plumbing View Post
      When I get to the job I get the home owner to fill up the bath and after I think that I have got the blockage, before I pack up I get the home owner to let the bath go and listen through the clear out as to the noise it makes.
      You can usually here if it sounds okay or if it makes a gurgling sound it would still be blocked.

I actually does two things, firstly to wash the roots away ( baths here hold about 400 litres) and secondly so that you can here if the drain sounds okay.

Simon
      here's a couple of ideas to add to your's.

#1- fill up the clothes washer and every sink. discharge everything at same time. maximum flow. maximum fixture unit discharge.

#2- you could also discharge a garden hose at full throttle to see if the line cleared. hot water might help too.

cameras are starting to become popular up here. we get crushed sewer services from frost heaving.

the gov't over here videos all sewer mains to identify problem areas.

i really like the idea of the camera because it allows you and the customer to literally go inside the pipe. a picture could be worth a $1000 + job.

the company i worked for in montreal wouldn't under any circumstances guarantee tree root jobs.

just some thoughts

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
        Love Your Aviator ,being a Sharks Fan. Can You tell Us about it????
        I found the Avatar on Liveleak.com

I always flush paper...at least a roll.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          With just a cable you are not clearing a drain 100% you are clearing a stoppage. You should test the drain to make sure it flows and recommend additional work needed if it backs up again.

Mark
          BOMP. wrong answer.
          You cannot clear a drain 100% with a cable,
          If you have no idea what you are doing!
          I give 6 months warrenty on all my drains with a written clause
          that it is void from abuse.Tampons grease,food etc.
          I can get double cutters down an 1 1/2 line.Plus I work with a bend on the end of my cable.Plastic is a no brainer unless it's loaded with grease.
          For main lines around here the lines are 4" into 6" clay.My camera proves me right each time I cable a main.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
            BOMP. wrong answer.
            With just a cable you are not clearing a drain 100%
            Mark
            Why is Mark wrong for saying the same thing you are
            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

When I get to the job I get the home owner to fill up the bath and after I think that I have got the blockage, before I pack up I get the home owner to let the bath go and listen through the clear out as to the noise it makes.
              You can usually here if it sounds okay or if it makes a gurgling sound it would still be blocked.

I actually does two things, firstly to wash the roots away ( baths here hold about 400 litres) and secondly so that you can here if the drain sounds okay.

Simon
              That is what I do and I thought I had patent it, but all jokes aside if you don`t camera the drain you have just unblocked then you have not cleaned it properly and all you are doing is kidding yourselves and robbing your client.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                That is what I do and I thought I had patent it, but all jokes aside if you don`t camera the drain you have just unblocked then you have not cleaned it properly and all you are doing is kidding yourselves and robbing your client.

Tony
                So you camera every line that you clean?
                YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

With just a cable you are not clearing a drain 100% you are clearing a stoppage.
                  Mark
                  Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
                  BOMP. wrong answer.
                  If you have no idea what you are doing!
                  Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                  Why is Mark wrong for saying the same thing you are
                  I think the point Jay was trying to make is Mark has no idea what he's doing

And I think we all know the answer to that

That's what I got from his post

Comment

Originally posted by houseofatlas View Post
                    so you camera every line that you clean?
                    good question
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by HouseOfAtlas View Post
                      So you camera every line that you clean?

I do now, why do you think I spent all that money for a seesnake its there to do the job properly and to make money, I`m not running a charity I give the client the option when clearing a sewer and every time they want me to camera it, we have been in a drought for over ten years here in Melbourne and the tree roots are in nearly every earthanware (clay) sewerage pipe and they are blocking up on average every six to twelve months and they want a solution to fix them for good.

Tony

Comment

Agree you don't know for CERTAIN unless you camera.

I charge significantly extra for the camera, and I don't think it called for in most cases. Occaisionally the behavior of the drain will make me want to camera. If I get that feeling, I camera. If all I see is a clean pipe, no camera charge; it's just peace of mind for me that I've done a good job, and I can eat a little time. Comebacks are rare for me, and they almost always get the camera, and I pay a lot of attention to what I am pulling back to see if I feel justified in charging. Benefit of the doubt goes to the customer if I have no evidence.

In your case, you describe the water going down slowly. That would be a red flag for me. A simple clog will cut loose all at once. If I suspect cat litter and it behaved as you describe, I'd be worried I just spread it around in the pipe. Also if it is cat litter it is likely not just in the area where you popped the clog, it is likely all through the system.

Anything granular, cat litter, sand, coffee grounds, etc, (also and especially grease) is best addressed by jetting. If I am stuck using a cable in these situations I flush a TON of water though it while rotating the cable once I've got it flowing. But I prefer to jet.
                        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post

Tony
                          When I first started using the camera I would put the camera down after I had used the cutter down the drain and I could not see any roots,just a nice clean pipe, so now the technique is after I have gotten ride of the water I will put the camera in.

Another time that I will use the camera is when the customer has phoned for a blocked drain and I get there and the drain is not full of water and the home doesn't have enough water pressure/ volume to fill up the drain. Then I will use the camera to check out the line rather than leave only to get a call later to go back.

I was always taught that unless it is blocked than you can't clear it.

What do you mean that you are robbing the client unless to camera the line?
                          As you pointed out we are not running a charity. So how do you upsell the camera cost?

If I have trouble clearing the drain than I would strongly advise in using a camera, if it is an easy clear I usually wouldn't camera it.

The only fault in my story is if the blockage goes but then there could be a further blockage down the line waiting to clog in 4-6 weeks.

Simon

Comment

When I first started using the camera I would put the camera down after I had used the cutter down the drain and I could not see any roots,just a nice clean pipe, so now the technique is after I have gotten ride of the water I will put the camera in.

Another time that I will use the camera is when the customer has phoned for a blocked drain and I get there and the drain is not full of water and the home doesn't have enough water pressure/ volume to fill up the drain. Then I will use the camera to check out the line rather than leave only to get a call later to go back.

I was always taught that unless it is blocked than you can't clear it.

What do you mean that you are robbing the client unless to camera the line?
                            As you pointed out we are not running a charity. So how do you upsell the camera cost?

If I have trouble clearing the drain than I would strongly advise in using a camera, if it is an easy clear I usually wouldn't camera it.

The only fault in my story is if the blockage goes but then there could be a further blockage down the line waiting to clog in 4-6 weeks.

Simon
                            We all have our own methods of clearing blocked sewers I use my trusted KM-1500 which has been refurbished our the years I normally put the funnel auger down first and then the my trusted 75mm sharktooth cutter but never the 100mm sharktooth cutter until I got the camera as with my luck it would get stuck and there is nothing worse than a broken cable trying to retrive it as I couldn`t be sure the pipe was not broken or some other obstuction was in the sewerage pipe.
                            But now I clear the blockage get rid of the water put the camera down see the problem and have the confidence to put the 100 sharktooth cutter down which strips the roots away giving the sewerage pipe its full bore clearance again.
                            When I first got my camera I asked the forum members how do they sell the camera and was given plenty of advice but the strange thing is you don`t have to sell it, I just mention I have one and after I have cleared the blockage the client wants to know what the problem as it is becoming to frequent between blockages and before I know it the camera is down the sewer and we are both looking at the problem and what to do to prevent it happening again or in the near future.

Tony

Comment

This is a tough situation.

#1 I let the customer know that there is a difference between clearing and cleaning.

Cleaning is when I will jet and camera behind the jet.
                              Clearing is when I open the line and run another piece of cable after I clear stoppage.

As for stack stoppages or stoppages that are not on the most bottom floor I will always let the customer know that this is not the most common stoppages and if it happens again I would recommend using the camera.

If the customer does not wish to use the camera then I may just camera the line at my expense so I can figure out what the heck is going on here. Sometimes I have found things in the pipe acting like a check valve and every time I run it it opens and then it will close back up.

Comment

When I was a poorer plumber I would zippstrip a rag to the cable and use a grease blade that would pick up some of the left overs aka cat litter.

Comment

Working...
                                X