Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Problem blockage Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Problem blockage

    Mainline blockage, there is a 4" clean-out behind the house, it is on septic and is a short run. I run a retrieving auger on a 3/4 cable and pull out the hub of a wax ring. The line is still blocked, run the cable again hit a wall, can't pass it,change to cutter head and same thing it will not pass. There was a test plug in the clean-out, the kind with the butterfly nut that tightens the two washers. The washer that goes to the inside of the pipe is missing, thats what I think is lodged in a fitting causing the blockage. I got some nylon string and tied it to a magnet (25lb), taped the sides so it won't grab to the sides of the cast iron pipe, but its not going in all the way. The next plan is to attach it to my cable and push it to the washer and pull it out. I can't access the line from the septic tank and if this doesn't work, may have to dig up the line cut the pipe and push up towards the clean out. I suspect a poured concrete coupler, which would pose a problem. I'll get back on this tomorrow, the house is vacant, but is a weekend rental. Any other ideas?
    The Other Rick

  • #2
    Re: Problem blockage

    Is the tank full? When you pull the lid, can you push your camera upstream to see the blockage?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Problem blockage

      Gear,

      With my micro seasnake I can see the terracotta 90 that I can't reach, water filled to the bottom of it, thus, no access to it. If I can attach the magnet to my cable and push it to the washer, I think I can pull it out. Anyway that is the plan for tomorrow. The laundry room was an addition and put right next to the lid. The clean out drops into a slab and there are a couple of fittings before the blockage. The hole I was able to dig has some concrete that may be a poured coupler, very little access to pipe without getting the jack hammer out. Will post pics tomorrow.
      The Other Rick

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Problem blockage

        Originally posted by rick1643 View Post
        Mainline blockage, there is a 4" clean-out behind the house, it is on septic and is a short run. I run a retrieving auger on a 3/4 cable and pull out the hub of a wax ring. The line is still blocked, run the cable again hit a wall, can't pass it,change to cutter head and same thing it will not pass. There was a test plug in the clean-out, the kind with the butterfly nut that tightens the two washers. The washer that goes to the inside of the pipe is missing, thats what I think is lodged in a fitting causing the blockage. I got some nylon string and tied it to a magnet (25lb), taped the sides so it won't grab to the sides of the cast iron pipe, but its not going in all the way. The next plan is to attach it to my cable and push it to the washer and pull it out. I can't access the line from the septic tank and if this doesn't work, may have to dig up the line cut the pipe and push up towards the clean out. I suspect a poured concrete coupler, which would pose a problem. I'll get back on this tomorrow, the house is vacant, but is a weekend rental. Any other ideas?
        I'm sure you know what you're doing Rick but is it possible that the cleanout is directing the cable into the house? I've seen a few cleanouts installed that way on septics. I guess the plumber thought that the run to the tank is short and straight that it didn't need to be rodded so they installed the cleanout to face the house where the stoppage is most likely to occur. The horn from the wax ring and unable to get pass a "wall" tells me you bumping into a toilet.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Problem blockage

          Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          I'm sure you know what you're doing Rick but is it possible that the cleanout is directing the cable into the house? I've seen a few cleanouts installed that way on septics. I guess the plumber thought that the run to the tank is short and straight that it didn't need to be rodded so they installed the cleanout to face the house where the stoppage is most likely to occur. The horn from the wax ring and unable to get pass a "wall" tells me you bumping into a toilet.
          GREAT POINT , You may have retrieved the horn Yourself from the toilet !! Maybe pull the toilet and rod from there.
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Problem blockage

            Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            I'm sure you know what you're doing Rick but is it possible that the cleanout is directing the cable into the house? I've seen a few cleanouts installed that way on septics. I guess the plumber thought that the run to the tank is short and straight that it didn't need to be rodded so they installed the cleanout to face the house where the stoppage is most likely to occur. The horn from the wax ring and unable to get pass a "wall" tells me you bumping into a toilet.
            BRILLIANT PC. I think you nailed it!

            I was wondering how the he11 a wax ring would end up in the line.
            I was thinking along the lines of him hitting the baffle but I think you've got it.
            Where were you during the River Birch investigation?
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Problem blockage

              Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              I'm sure you know what you're doing Rick but is it possible that the cleanout is directing the cable into the house? I've seen a few cleanouts installed that way on septics. I guess the plumber thought that the run to the tank is short and straight that it didn't need to be rodded so they installed the cleanout to face the house where the stoppage is most likely to occur. The horn from the wax ring and unable to get pass a "wall" tells me you bumping into a toilet.
              Thats not it, I can see the line going into the house, the cable is going towards the septic tank
              The Other Rick

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Problem blockage

                Originally posted by rick1643 View Post
                Thats not it, I can see the line going into the house, the cable is going towards the septic tank
                Please delete this ^^^ post so everyone still thinks I'm a Superstar

                What's that new SeeSnake tell you? or are you still trying not to get it wet?

                Too mirky to see anything with the camera?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Problem blockage

                  Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                  Please delete this ^^^ post so everyone still thinks I'm a Superstar

                  What's that new SeeSnake tell you? or are you still trying not to get it wet?

                  Too mirky to see anything with the camera?
                  Thats why I walked away yesterday, to give it time to drain down so I could put a camera in it
                  The Other Rick

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Problem blockage

                    Rick, why can't you go uptream from the septic tank to see the blockage? What am I missing?
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Problem blockage

                      why cant you go up from the tank?

                      distance to blockage from cleanout? approximatly the distance to the tank? or obviously less?

                      agree with someone else; pull the lid (if possible....is this why you cant go up fom tank? buried? old stupid tank with no access over inlet?) and get a look at the tank
                      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Problem blockage

                        I pulled the lid to the septic tank yesterday, couldn't even see the inlet without my micro seasnake let alone reach it. Anyway, problem solved. Used gorilla tape to attach magnet on the cable and went fishing, got it down to the washer and pulled it out. Homeowner also wanted the toilet reset because in the recently remodeled bathroom the flooring guy reset the toilet and it was leaking at the base. Pull the toilet and the cast iron closet flange is broken, so he used lags on a slab and siliconed the base to hold toilet. The wax ring had a horn on it, so the one in the line must have been from the old ring. I put a repair ring on the flange, new bolts, new wax ring, set it and sealed it. Job done, everything cool. Thanks for the suggestions guys.
                        The Other Rick

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Problem blockage

                          Good to solve this one , Rick. For the life of Me, how does a washer from a dollar plug cause a blockage ????? And why wouldn't it get pushed into the tank,by repeated rodding ???? This is a 4" line, right?
                          Just trying to learn here.
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Problem blockage

                            Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                            Good to solve this one , Rick. For the life of Me, how does a washer from a dollar plug cause a blockage ????? And why wouldn't it get pushed into the tank,by repeated rodding ???? This is a 4" line, right?
                            Just trying to learn here.
                            I don't know what to tell you Tool, thats what I pulled out with the magnet, then followed it with a cutter, flushed all the lines and tested. I should have put my camera in but I didn't have it with me and the homeowner didn't want the added expense. And just the thought of putting my brand new camera in that filthy hole...Yuck!!
                            The Other Rick

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Problem blockage

                              Good Job Rick.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X