X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drop Head auger

Do many of you guys use the drop head augers to go down a right angle inspection shafts?
    I have been caught a couple times of not being able to clean a shaft as I couldnt get my k1500 around the 90 even with trap leader on.
    Regards
    Greg

Re: Drop Head auger

I only use the drop head on small 1/4" cables never tried bigger never needed to.
    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I did not know they make a drop head for the 1500. I have one for the k50 though, mainly because sometimes you cannot see which way it goes...up the vent or down the drain.

Comment

i've got and use a drop head on my 5/8 cable (K-50) but not on anything else. it takes some work, but you can make it go downhill. sometimes a real PITA but it can be done

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I only use em on 5/16 cable and half the time I forget I got em. I would say "IF" you know how to work the cable you really dont need em
          http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

They don't make one for the bigger cable. I thought of making one from a ujoint from a motorcycle for going down a closet bend with a spiral bit. Gave up on that because going in reverse and down a vent is easier. I sometimes run into a vertical cleanout with a santee on it's back and I use a curb key to guide it down the right way.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thanks guys for info.
              Most of my drain problems with tree roots are from them being clay pipes with rubber joining rings.
              Where the house connects to sewer main it usually drops down 1-2 metres and they put in the inspection openings with a concrete cover clay caps next to the connection and this is where most of the roots come in.
              Hardly ever is this point brought to surface to make it easy to clean(DAM IT).
              Dropping down around this causes some grief.
              I have previously made a universal joint to do this with some success but I think it jumps around to much and does not pierce/cut the roots at times.
              Regards
              Greg

Comment

I have read some posts previously from Rick and he doesn't like the drop head auger as I think from memory that he has broken them and has had the misfortune of trying to recover the auger.

I find that in your position that as long as you don't go through a DT (trap for the overseas viewers) that you can feel the auger hit the back of the square junction. When if feel this sometimes I pull the cable back 200mm and loop about 400mm more cable and try and force the cable down the line in a single action. If I have no joy that way then I will try it in reverse. It tends to work well if you can do it in a single action. I don't know why it works in reverse but it does. The same action can be used to get around DT's without a trap leader. I usually only use the trap leader on PVC traps.

Simon

Comment

Simon
                  Do use the k1500 and trap leader around plastic DTs as I only go around these with my jetter.
                  Cheers
                  Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Plumber Greg View Post
                    Simon
                    Do use the k1500 and trap leader around plastic DTs as I only go around these with my jetter.
                    Cheers
                    Greg
                    Yes I use the trap leader and K1500 with a plastic trap.
                    You push the auger or cutter to the bottom of the trap and feed out more cable then you need and push really hard and it usually goes around, sometimes you may need to do it in reverse.

I would tend to look for an IO as it is too slow to send down a heap of cables through a trap as you need to use the machine to retrieve the cables.

Simon

Comment

Thanks for info alot of guys I know dont like going around the new dts .
                      I am always after a io if I can get one.
                      Cheers
                      Greg

Comment

i only use the drop head on the 5/8 k-50 when i need too. too easy to break them off´.

sometimes running in reverse will get it down.
                        rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                        X