X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you jet, or cable?

Got a call from a customer from years ago up in Ohio. Told me that Duke Energy (local gas and electric company) that they were doing local inspections of the drain systems to see if their gas lines might of penetrated the sewer laterals.

Well, this fellow told me that the guy with the camera stated that his line was clogged, couldn't get the camera far down the line, and that "You should hire a plumber to drain clean the line, but only 30 feet out."

What?!!?!?!

I'm thinking that the Duke Energy guy feels that possibly, possibly that their gas line has penetrated the sewer lateral and that is what is causing the backup.

If you all remember, a few years ago a plumbing company was rodding a drain and broke through a gas line that was bored through the sewer lateral, in Ohio, and Duke Energy made the mistake and "BOOM!"

Well, I don't have a jetter, and I don't want to go boom just because I was hungry for a buck.

What would you do?

I'm thinking of taking a pass, letting someone jet it as I don't want to take a chance if Duke energy is cautiously telling me not to go the full bore.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: Would you jet, or cable?

Take the pass if you don't have a jetter.
    OR; Give a quick tutorial on how to operate your machine to the Duke Energy guy and tell him you'll be waiting down the street while he snakes it.

I remember a story about a gas line being bored through a sewer main then snaked. You're right, BOOM!!!
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

i'd pass on tht one, if it was me. too much risk, especially with a company that seems to have a bad track record

steve
      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I think I saw something in this months Cleaner mag about gas lines plowed in to sewer lines
        I would say "IF" you don't have the right equipment to do the job safely, pass on it.
        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

I'm going to........told the guy to find someone with a jetter and camera.

Hey now that the election is over......got any nude pics of Sarah Palin?

My bottom lip started to quiver when McCain gave his concession speech and they panned right to her in closeup, knowing she was about to start crying.

She found out how hard the public can really be.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
            I'm going to........told the guy to find someone with a jetter and camera.

Hey now that the election is over......got any nude pics of Sarah Palin?

My bottom lip started to quiver when McCain gave his concession speech and they panned right to her in closeup, knowing she was about to start crying.

She found out how hard the public can really be.
            I don't particularly like Sara Palin. Her politics are too extreme for me, and she just seems, well...kind of dumb. But WOW, she really is an absolutely gorgeous woman!
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Fox News reported today that McCain staffers are beginning to talk about Palin - she didn't know what countries are in NAFTA, and she didn't know that Africa was a continent. Oh, that good ol' home schoolin' sure is useful, you betcha!

Comment

Yes I'd take a run at Sara Palin! For your sewer debate.Mark off 30' on a cable and go in with a singe blade or perhaps a sand auger head to get drainage then once it's draining chase your camera down to get the real scoop.Did you do this job yet? Git er done?In the Southwest metro area here I did a life from a hole where a spot repair was being done,20' in I hit what I thought was a root mass.Pulled the cable back send in the camera and I see lots of light! I had peeled the cover off of the hot side of a 440 volt underground electrical line trenched through the clay tile.
                    Last edited by Jay Mpls; 11-06-2008, 05:28 PM. Reason: KaNt spel.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
                      Yes I'd take a run at Sara Palin! For your sewer debate.Mark off 30' on a cable and go in with a singe blade or perhaps a sand auger head to get drainage then once it's draining chase your camera down to get the real scoop.Did you do this job yet? Git er done?In the Southwest metro area here I did a life from a hole where a spot repair was being done,20' in I hit what I thought was a root mass.Pulled the cable back send in the camera and I see lots of light! I had peeled the cover off of the hot side of a 440 volt underground electrical line trenched through the clay tile.
                      Holy crap! That is pretty scary! I can't even imagine! Where was this done? This just goes to show that a camera inspection is almost a must.

A friend of mine said that before a house can sell in Saint Paul or Minneapolis, a sewer inspection MUST be done. Do you know if that's true?
                      YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
                        I would be doing a Curley, "Gggnnnyyyaaa, woobooobooobooop, Moe, what is it?"

Comment

Around here utility locates are free. The 30' is a guess by someone else and I wouldn't trust it. If this was a real concern and I didn't have a jetter and camera, I'd have the gas line located then snake out just that far with a tiny bit on a flexy leader. Probably I'd do just what you did and pass it off to someone with the right equipment, or maybe use it as the excuse to finally buy the equipment.
                          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Thing on this is the gas guy told the homeowner his line was clogged.
                            If it was clogged the owner would have known that already right?
                            2. If it was clogged the camera wouldn't see much anyway.
                            Sounds like the gas guy hit a bend he couldn't get a round and proclaimed a clog.
                            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

It seems that they always go through the sewer line when they do trench less install. I hit what felt was a root or bad place in the line but I looked the yard over before I drilled I did see a maple tree but I also saw a new gas line, so I used a bulb auger and when I hit the clog and made no head way I got a bad feeling and quite and told them what I thought about the gas line going through the line. Well they didn't believe me so I told them to call the gas co. to dig at the spot If it wasn't a gas line I would come back with out charge and clean it. They called the gas co. and they found the gas line in the middle of the sewer line. Drilling a line is done not with your eyes, you use feel and sound and see in your mind what the head is doing and what your running in to. Yea we all need the money right now, but we got to know when it is going to cost us more to do the job then to do it. If you get the jetter or bulb head stuck even if they don't have to call a clean up crew to scrape you up so they have something to burie you probable will still lose money.

Comment

Working...
                              X