X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plastic vs copper dwv

they might as well call rankin inlet hack town.

got a new hack up here.

he told one of my customers copper dwv greases up faster than plastic.

the hack was refering to a commercial kitchen drain on a 3 compartment sink that had had the abs drain broken several times because the staff was kicking 5 gal buckets under the sink.

i told the manager that the plumbing code specified copper drains in all commercial establishments. it also states that in the fire code.

my question is; have any of you guys ever heard of copper pipe greasing up faster than plastic?

Vince

i installed the copper dwv but ended up installing a 3/4 copper idiot pipe to stop the staff from kicking the buckets under the sink, yes they cracked the basket strainer

Re: plastic vs copper dwv

I wish I was there so you could see the look on my face and my response to the manager when he told us this.

Comment

I wish the 3 of us were there so We could put some red wings up the plumbers clean out.
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

The copper pipe is antibacterial.Cleanest waste pipes you'll find.Consider every time you do a residential kitchen sink waste line the stoppage will be past the copper in the dirt where it often transitions to cast.

Comment

Jay Mpls it has been my experience that the reason you get the blockage at any transition ( the material of the pipe does not matter) is because

you have a change in pipe size that is a natural collector of gunk and or I have never seen a clean transition ( There is always a gap or a ridge of some kind that starts the problems)

I do agree that copper is a better DWV material simply because I have yet to see a piece of 70 year old PVC

Okie

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            I wish I was there so you could see the look on my face and my response to the manager when he told us this.

dirty,

i would have been rolling on the ground if i didn't get so angry. but i bit my tongue.

i think the thing that annoys me the most is that these hacks that come here think we dumb as ptarmigans, our dumbest bird. believe me, we got alot of dumb birds if you wanna compare people to birds up here.

i don't know if they are just testing me or what. i could care less.

like many of my fellow plumber brothers (yes, unfortunatly even us plumbers are only human and not created equally), i take great pride in my trade and i don't like misleading people that just pull so-called knowledge right out of the air. oh but i do so enjoy calling them on it.

i consider myself very fortunate to have gotten into the plumbing trade. absolutely no regrets. it's been a learning curve since day one. that was many, many freeze ups ago.

i must say dirty and my fellow sanitary technicans, i finally have found a spot in this world that i can have an (in)sane conversation with people that actually laugh at the sh!tty things in life.

thank you

Vince

this is the same hack that turned his nose up at cleaning and repairing a grease trap, easiest $150 i ever made a$$ho

Comment

Working...
            X