Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cant explain

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
    I never charged an emergency fee. Then I started noticing all the so called emergencies that started last week etc...
    I now charge a $50 fee for after 5:00 and weekends. If it truly is an emergency I usually waive this fee. I figure if I have to be inconvenienced because the HO can not be inconvenienced then they should be happy to pay for it and some are but most are more then happy to wait till normal business hrs.
    I agree with you. We do have a night and holiday charge but the rates are adjustable. Depending on the problem and the person = the rate. We are not into taking advantage of people in need. We are in this business to help people not hurt them. Most people are more than happy to wait until normal business hours. A happy customer will bring in more work, an unhappy customer will bring you nothing and possibly keep work from you.

Comment

I too agree. It's one thing for someone to get home from work at 6o and find their sewer clogged. It's a whole nother story when someone calls at 6:00 to say they they have been clogged for the last three days or 1 of their two toilets are clogged and they can't wait.
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I got a call last year on Christmas morning you got to come my kitchen sink is stopped up. I wouldn't have gone for anything less then a toilet but it was my doctor I got to take care of him. One year on new years day I got a call you got to come my toilet is backed up. After I got everything working and had everything wrapped up he says it wasn't an emergency I just figured if you didn't have anything to do you could do it to day I told him You should have told me that before you put in an emergency call. My bill is double on holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by gtmerkley View Post
          My bill is double on holidays.
          This should be a law or something LOL! If it's an emergency that can't wait until morning or the next business day and their life is in shambles until you fix their problem, prices are doubled, even tripled.

Of course, my prices doubled might be another company's regular rates.
          Last edited by HouseOfAtlas; 12-02-2008, 09:53 PM.
          YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by jay mpls View Post
            i have gone to clear kitchen lines,seen the discolored basket strainer and the empty bottle of drain devil and had customers deny they put any chemicals in the line.
            Or the guy calling at 10:30 on a sunday night with an emergency leak that he has been trying to fix since noon.

yes used to get those too,
            about 5-6pm on fri. Of long weekend when
            ever body wants to get off,
            they say the union guys have been working on this all day or last 2 days
            our maintenance people had to get off
            at 5 pm and this is a emergency ! !
            JERRYMAC
            E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
            CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
            FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
            SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

THIS WAS FOR MAIN SEWER LINES AT RESD, PROPERTIES
              AS WELL AS COMMC, IND'S. WORK

ALSO WATER HEATERS AND BOILER CALLS

OF COURSE MY DOUBLE TIME WAS NOT WHAT THEY WOULD GET FOR SAME WORK,

ONE TIME ON ONE OF THESE LATE NITE CALLS
              ON A BOILER WE HAD TO REBUILD THE BURNERS ON AND FINISHED ABOUT 11:30 PM
              GO TO FIND MGR. TO GET PAYED BUT HE WAS TOO BUSY WITH HIS CUSTOMERS,
              SO I BROKE OUR HOURLY RATES DOWN TO BY THE MINUTE AND INFORMED THE HOSTESS
              TO PASS TO MGR,
              SUDDENLY HE COULD NOT GET THE BILL PAID AND US OUT OF THERE FAST ENOUGH
              JERRYMAC
              E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
              CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
              FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
              SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

I got a call about 5:00 one night from a restaurant from another cleaner. He was having no luck getting a local restaurant so he called in a big city plumber to do the job, he figured us small town guys weren't good enough I got to the job and the driller had been there since 5:00 that morning the urinal and sink would not drain when he went through the sink he said it went the wrong way so he pulled a urinal and it run toward the sink he then cut the pipe in the ceiling and run it that way, it run toward the sink again after 12 hours he called his boss his boss knew us and told him to give us a call. I took the 3800 stuck it in the urinal and he hollered it is doing the same thing that it done for me it is heading for the sink I just let it head to the sink it went past where the sink was tied in and in 15 minutes it was open and I was packing up to leave I knew he felt bad I tried to console him telling him I was just use to how the plumbers around here did things like that. It didn't make him any happier his company was the one that put it in. (oh man) after that they subcontracted the job to us when they had a call down here.

Comment

This is just slightly left of topic; apologies.

gt, I found your original post spot on. You can explain until you are blue in the face, with the proverbial 8x10 color glossies with the circles and the arrows no less, and they just don't get it. I've found a couple of things to say that seem to work for some situations, I'm sure you and others have as well. One thing I've really noticed; for some reason, if you put a camera in the line and let them watch the screen, they stop. I don't know why. They rarely understand what they are seeing, if there is anything to see at all. I think the ooh ahh factor just wows them into silence.

Here is the really interesting thing I have noticed, more about myself and my brain than anything else, and I wonder if anyone else has noticed it. As I do the job, the thinking and understanding process is a non-verbal process. I find I am faster, better, more effective, and think more clearly about the job if I don't have anyone I am explaining to. If I have to explain what I am doing and why while I am doing it, I am apt to be distracted and miss something. If I have to explain, my brain feels like it is switching gears; it is a definite clunk and grind of mental metal when I pull up and begin to put it into words for someone, then a clunk back over and a reorientation when I have satisfied them and go back to work. I have found it dangerous, reckless, to work and speak at the same time. Usually when I screw up and go back and analyze how it happened, there was some talking and working involved at some point. Wonder if this is a left brain/right brain thing.
                  Last edited by Ace Sewer; 12-05-2008, 01:54 PM.
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                    This is just slightly left of topic; apologies.

gt, I found your original post spot on. You can explain until you are blue in the face, with the proverbial 8x10 color glossies with the circles and the arrows no less, and they just don't get it. I've found a couple of things to say that seem to work for some situations, I'm sure you and others have as well. One thing I've really noticed; for some reason, if you put a camera in the line and let them watch the screen, they stop. I don't know why. They rarely understand what they are seeing, if there is anything to see at all. I think the ooh ahh factor just wows them into silence.

Here is the really interesting thing I have noticed, more about myself and my brain than anything else, and I wonder if anyone else has noticed it. As I do the job, the thinking and understanding process is a non-verbal process. I find I am faster, better, more effective, and think more clearly about the job if I don't have anyone I am explaining to. If I have to explain what I am doing and why while I am doing it, I am apt to be distracted and miss something. If I have to explain, my brain feels like it is switching gears; it is a definite clunk and grind of mental metal when I pull up and begin to put it into words for someone, then a clunk back over and a reorientation when I have satisfied them and go back to work. I have found it dangerous, reckless, to work and speak at the same time. Usually when I screw up and go back and analyze how it happened, there was some talking and working involved at some point. Wonder if this is a left brain/right brain thing.
                    Oh man can I relate. The first couple years seemed like every job was my first job for a long time because of having to explain simple things like "Because water runs downhill...Ma'am. You do not want open that c/o inside the house" and so on . Constantly feeling like I needed to hold the customers hand and explain every little detail as I did it. Nowadays, the Q and A session and any discussion happens BEFORE a single tool comes out of the truck, except maybe the flashlight. If they persist in intentionally slowing the job, by inquiring about things after the fact, I ignore them until I get to a point that I can answer. On a couple occasions, I've straight out walked off the job. That isn't the norm though and neither were the people. That said, normal people know concentration is needed working with machinery or dangerous tools and don't interrupt. Idle chit chat is different and something customers expect. I love to just shoot the breeze while I'm working, doesn't require much thought or distraction. But when people want me to take the time explain in detail why I'm using a certain procedure or when it takes longer to explain the job than to complete it, I draw the line and cut em off.
                    There's also those people that just never shut up and all you can do the whole time in reply is say "uh huh", "okie dokie", "you bet", "you don't say?" and "ok".

Or what about this one: "Can you explain everything that you told me to my husband?" DOH!
                    Last edited by Twicepipes; 12-05-2008, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gtmerkley View Post
                      I got a call about 5:00 one night from a restaurant from another cleaner. He was having no luck getting a local restaurant so he called in a big city plumber to do the job, he figured us small town guys weren't good enough I got to the job and the driller had been there since 5:00 that morning the urinal and sink would not drain when he went through the sink he said it went the wrong way so he pulled a urinal and it run toward the sink he then cut the pipe in the ceiling and run it that way, it run toward the sink again after 12 hours he called his boss his boss knew us and told him to give us a call. I took the 3800 stuck it in the urinal and he hollered it is doing the same thing that it done for me it is heading for the sink I just let it head to the sink it went past where the sink was tied in and in 15 minutes it was open and I was packing up to leave I knew he felt bad I tried to console him telling him I was just use to how the plumbers around here did things like that. It didn't make him any happier his company was the one that put it in. (oh man) after that they subcontracted the job to us when they had a call down here.
                      You should have used his machine,Then got Him a Cup of Coffee.Friends for life.
                      Kenneth Collier
                      Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
                      Jackson, MS 39206
                      (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
                      drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                        It's like talking on the cell phone and driving. It messes up your reaction time, awareness, etc. I think they have even done studies on this.
                        YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Working...
                        X