X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid what the h@##

i just bought a new 3/8" cable for my k-380 2 weeks ago. i've used it 3 times and today cleaning out a lav drain the cable snapped right behind the head. and you know why i replaced my last cable it snapped in the same place. it wouldnt be such a big deal except, crawling under a house and cutting out drain line to find head, not being able to find a replacement tip for it therfore paying 200 and some odd $ to replace the entire cable, and my favorite having two drain cleans scheduled and having to cancel the second one because your cable broke and than waiting a week for a new cable to come in
    so is there a replacement tip for the k-380? and what is a better cable to use?
    Mike
    Clark County Plumbing And Drain
    www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Re: Ridgid what the h@##

I order my stuff from tony at cable center and some times it comes the same day,or the next day at the latest and there farther away then the company is. Don't ask me how they do it. But I always brake my head off right when I am about to take it out, must be the bind I don't know what else it could be.

Comment

do they make a repair tip for them? or do i have to buy the entire cable?
      Mike

Comment

I get parts for my machines from north state supply,the part # for the 3/8 repair end is rg91037.It is a weld on tip that is made from a bigger piece of cable,a little grinding is nedded to make it fit.I hope this helps.

Comment

You cant use a regular welder it will weaken the cable temper and it will break right off, they silver solder the ends on at the factory but you can use a wet cloth on the weld site to absorb the heat I tried the one you screw over the cable end and it came right off try the one that screws in to the inside of the cable then tack weld or silver solder.

Comment

I use mig welder to tack it in place.I've never had it break at the end after I weld it.It helps to spread the last loop on the new end with a small chisel ,it makes it easier to get it to thread on to the cable.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill View Post
              I use mig welder to tack it in place.I've never had it break at the end after I weld it.It helps to spread the last loop on the new end with a small chisel ,it makes it easier to get it to thread on to the cable.
              do you have a part number for the thread in connector for 3/8" cable
              Mike

Comment

Come on Ridgid!!
                It's been a while since I've heard multiple people complain of a weakness in your cable, but here it is again.
                I have had no product complaints with my current equipment, but their customer service SUCKS so I will no longer do business with them again.
                When it is time to buy more cable I'd like to buy from Ridigid, but every time I hear multiple people complain of a cable problem it makes me wonder. Cutting corners will NOT save you money. I (and I'm sure others) am more than willing to pay more for a product I can trust. Your tag line is "we build reputations" and I for one do NOT want to be the guy who's known for faulty equipment because YOUR product failed.
                Every time you send out a substandard product it leaves a lasting impression.
                CABLE, whether sectional or drum, is the heart of the machine and to have a cable fail due to inferior design/craftsmanship is NOT what we want.
                INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                  Come on Ridgid!!
                  It's been a while since I've heard multiple people complain of a weakness in your cable, but here it is again.
                  I have had no product complaints with my current equipment, but their customer service SUCKS so I will no longer do business with them again.
                  When it is time to buy more cable I'd like to buy from Ridigid, but every time I hear multiple people complain of a cable problem it makes me wonder. Cutting corners will NOT save you money. I (and I'm sure others) am more than willing to pay more for a product I can trust. Your tag line is "we build reputations" and I for one do NOT want to be the guy who's known for faulty equipment because YOUR product failed.
                  Every time you send out a substandard product it leaves a lasting impression.
                  CABLE, whether sectional or drum, is the heart of the machine and to have a cable fail due to inferior design/craftsmanship is NOT what we want.
                  not to mention times are tough right now we "as plumbers and business owners" need to set ourselves apart from the other guys. i give a person a quote on a relatively easy drain clean and 5 minutes into it im telling the customer i have to cut a hole in there wall to get my cable head out but not to worry you wont have to pay for it. so my very little profit went to me losing money and a customer because i look like i dont know what im doing. all because a piss poor weld on a very expensive cable
                  Mike

Comment

Yesterday I had a job where the customer was right there watching everything I was doing. It was pretty embarrassing when the cable was all kinked up and I had to run in reverse because the heat switch kicked the power off running in forward

Comment

Just wanted you to know I am not ignoring you guys... just waiting for monday when I can have Renee take a look.

Josh

Comment

I don't tack weld; I've been just fine with a good cleaning and red loctite. I use the ends that the cable threads over. I seldom run in reverse as I use the threaded stud for bits. This usually gives up long before the loctite will in reverse. If you use a more positive attachment system for the bits and run in reverse, you may have different results than me. I suspect heat from welding is cooking your cable and making it brittle.
                        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Reynolds makes a steel tubing for bicycle frames called 853 specifically designed to be welded (tig) w/o a HAZ. Might be interesting for Ridgid folks to look into an alloy with similar properties for a cable?
                          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                            I don't tack weld; I've been just fine with a good cleaning and red loctite. I use the ends that the cable threads over. I seldom run in reverse as I use the threaded stud for bits. This usually gives up long before the loctite will in reverse. If you use a more positive attachment system for the bits and run in reverse, you may have different results than me. I suspect heat from welding is cooking your cable and making it brittle.
                            the only weld on my cables are from the factory, loctites a good idea
                            Mike

Comment

I just want to know who makes the Cables for Ridgid
                              I wont buy any other cables but Ridgid but I would just like to know who the real mfg. is
                              http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X