X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anther blocked 2" PCV kitchen line.

This run was about 25'. Found it slightly backpitched before it enters the 3" line. I did try to clear it with the K50, no luck. Figured if I could clear it, then I could remedy the pitch issue. NOPE, gotta cut it out...YUK.

I have seen this before, usually a hangar comes loose, then the clogging starts. By the time it blocks completely, the whole line is full. I have not reached the point where I will just cut the line out w/o rodding. Rodding is still better than cutting out.

Re: Anther blocked 2" PCV kitchen line.

What kinda cutter did you use on it?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

That's why you didn't clear it. Try the 4 bladed or spiral saw cutter next time.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Bulb auger. I use these as a pusher when they get bound up with debris. Especially in a pipe with a belly or backpitched.

Comment

If a line is completely blocked...several feet, how is this going to break it? Sorry, I should say clear it of debris.

Comment

You should have used a 4-bladed cutter, and then once its ground up, use a plunger to knock it through. Bulb augers are not a good for grease.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

We are talking about 20 years of built up food. Or for however long the line became backpitched. It is just a slurry, blocking the pipe. This clog did not happen overnight. Head pressure certainly would not push all the food out. Heck, thinking now, I should have wrapped a sock on the head and pushed everything out! Whoops, then I would be rodding the main.

Comment

It doesn't matter anyway, the line was backpitched and needed to be replaced regardless of wether you cleared it or not.

Here's my trick on kitchen grease clogs:
                After I cable the drain with a 4-balde cutter (or a paddle-head, spade-head, etc., something that will 'drill' through and churn up the grease) Then I fill up the kitchen sink all the way to the top...most times after chewing the grease with the cutter-head, the weigth of all that water will be enough to push the grease through...GLUG! If not a few plunges usually does the trick.
                Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Had a overhead drain yesterday that had a high spot right after the clean out, when I tried to put in water it just came back out without pushing the stuff out. I hooked a bladder to the end of a water hose made sure there was no other place the water could come out and turned it on it pushed the cut up mush out. The pipe went through walls and floor joists and under other pipes. It looked like a roller coaster up and down, finished with carpeted floor and the pipe had five 45 elbows in it.Bladders help if they work but can make a mess if they don't but sometimes there the only way.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                    It doesn't matter anyway, the line was backpitched and needed to be replaced regardless of wether you cleared it or not.

Here's my trick on kitchen grease clogs:
                    After I cable the drain with a 4-balde cutter (or a paddle-head, spade-head, etc., something that will 'drill' through and churn up the grease) Then I fill up the kitchen sink all the way to the top...most times after chewing the grease with the cutter-head, the weigth of all that water will be enough to push the grease through...GLUG! If not a few plunges usually does the trick.
                    You ARE right...either way, the problem must be corrected. Thanks so much for the input guys, and now I go out with some new ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                      If a line is completely blocked...several feet, how is this going to break it? Sorry, I should say clear it of debris.
                      The thing with sludge is you want to blend or liquify it so it'll wash out. The bulb auger is too streamlined to do this. The spiral blade actually works really well in this case. Another thing I do is bend my cable at the tip to provide more whipping action which will clean the pipe better. If this is a straight run with an outside CO, I would use the 7/8 cable.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Just jet the thing. I'm gonna have to buy a digital vcr and have a h.o. film me next one I do. It's a kitchen sink! It's grease and food! Just jet it... 30-45 min 100% clean, paid, and out. So it's got a belly and ought to be fixed, so what??!!!! It's cost vs. benefit. Your backpitched line worked for 10+ years. I jet it and get it clean it will work for 10+ more. YOU, the h.o. decide if you want to pay me to come clean it every so often or pay me to break out the drywall, cabinets, tile, etc. and fix it and then pay to put it all back.
                        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                          Just jet the thing. I'm gonna have to buy a digital vcr and have a h.o. film me next one I do. It's a kitchen sink! It's grease and food! Just jet it... 30-45 min 100% clean, paid, and out. So it's got a belly and ought to be fixed, so what??!!!! It's cost vs. benefit. Your backpitched line worked for 10+ years. I jet it and get it clean it will work for 10+ more. YOU, the h.o. decide if you want to pay me to come clean it every so often or pay me to break out the drywall, cabinets, tile, etc. and fix it and then pay to put it all back.
                          I am a plumber, I fix things.

I cut it out, 15' capped each end. 95% blockage throughout the whole line. Corrected the backpitched spot. 90 day warranty on any clogging. etc etc.

Comment

Figured if I could clear it, then I could remedy the pitch issue.

Rodding is still better than cutting out.
                            I am a plumber, I fix things.

I cut it out

OK, you wanna go there, I'll go there.

I am a drain cleaner. I fix the problems plumbers leave behind
                            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                              OK, you wanna go there, I'll go there.

I am a drain cleaner. I fix the problems plumbers leave behind

Comment

Working...
                              X