PW Conversion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PW Conversion

5gpm you should be able to get off most hose bibs. The whole reason I have stayed with 5-6 gpm is that is the limit you can run w/o a tank off most supplies. I don't have room in the van for a separate tank, and have done well enough with 5-6gpm in the size lines I do (generally nothing bigger than 6") that I've not seen the need to pull a trailer around to get the extra capacity. It'd be nice to have, but just not worth pulling the thing around all the time for the few jobs I really want it.

No reason to hassle a trailer for 5gpm; you can fit that in a truck or van. If you are going to pull a trailer, make it 12gpm or bigger. Then you can do city mains, culverts, etc.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Smaller hose will not cut down your gpm, but it will raise the pressure needed to push it all to the nozzle instead of bypassing. You may have trouble with only a 3kpsi machine. I typically run 2500-3000 at the pump, ~300' of 1/4" hose. I don't run an unloader; just control pressure by reducing flow by reducing rpm with the throttle. If I run full rpm (and therefore full flow) with a good supply on a 5.5 gpm machine, ~300' of 1/4", and a warthog with .035's in the sides and the front blanked off, I make nearly 5000psi. Your equip will survive some overpressure, but I doubt this much. I rarely run over 3kpsi though... only when tearing roots or in a hurry to cut ice.

The advantages of smaller hose are:
      cheaper
      more compact
      higher pressure rating
      negotiates bends more easily
      easier to wrestle

Bigger hose makes less backpressure at higher flows, and if all you do are straight runs might be better for you as you can run full flow w/o making too much pressure for your equipment.

I do a lot of runs in lines in condo buildings with a lot of bends, so being able to make those turns is good for me.
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

running without an unloader is scary. i hope you have a relief valve.

how do you stop the flow of water when you start or finish?

a foot valve, ball valve or spray gun is a must.

typically i use a ball valve on my jumper hoses and a foot valve to the jetter hose. the foot valve is just as good as a pulsation valve. plus it frees up both your hands.

1/4'' with 5gpm is no problem. 300+ feet will cut down your pressure to the nozzle.

i have hoses from 50' to 400'. i use the hose that is best suited for the job at hand. the jumper hose is either a 50' or 100' hose.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Hey Rick,

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          running without an unloader is scary. i hope you have a relief valve. I do but I'm sure it's undersized... too much of a tiny little junky button not to be.

how do you stop the flow of water when you start or finish? Ball valve on the inlet

a foot valve, ball valve or spray gun is a must.

typically i use a ball valve on my jumper hoses and a foot valve to the jetter hose. the foot valve is just as good as a pulsation valve. plus it frees up both your hands.

1/4'' with 5gpm is no problem. 300+ feet will cut down your pressure to the nozzle.

i have hoses from 50' to 400'. i use the hose that is best suited for the job at hand. the jumper hose is either a 50' or 100' hose.

rick.

Comment

Working...
          X