X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PW Conversion

Been reading the boards for a couple weeks now trying to educate myself a little more on drain cleaning. I see most are geared towards residential/light commercial. I want to adventure into providing service for commercial/light industrial/institutional. I have experience in industrial drain cleaning but am not geared to jump right out and purchase hi end equipment to clean the 8"+ drains. Figured I'd start a little smaller.

Anyways my first of many questions is in regards to converting a Power Washer to a jetter. I have a hot water skid mounted power washer. Does 3kpsi at 5.2gpm. (rated) I figure this can be converted and should handle up to 4" lines if I'm not mistaken. Just not sure how to go about converting and the type of material needed to convert. I want to convert properly not backyard rigging it. If you no what I mean. I was hoping with the amount of knowledge on these boards that I could get some decent and intelligent responses.

Also am figuring I'll get a few pieces of ridgid equipment like k-39,k-400, k-60 to start as well for the smaller jobs that I'll be called upon. So any help is appreciated and welcomed.

Thanks
    Jim

Re: PW Conversion

lose the burner, you don't need it... probably doesn't hurt you though, just a space eater

get a long hose (I like parker's 518c-4; I use 1/4" and think it about perfect, others will tell you I am crazy and you simply must have 3/8" or 1/2".... if they are right how I can still be in business I don't know)

and some nozzles, most importantly a 3/8" warthog from stone age (they can spec orifice size for your machine's capabilities)

presto! it's a jetter!
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Sorry Ace!
      I have learned from you bro but when you go to 1/4 line you cut down on your GPM and hurt the pump. But this is only on a higher gpm pump then 5.
      Note I said 5 which is what the poster says he has. 1/4 makes good pressure to feed itself but lacks the gpm to stomp it away. First you do the gpm test with no nozzle then you check your gpm with your selected nozzle to see how it is flowing.
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Well, there is no test like experience, and I know 5gpm and 1/4" hose behind a 3/8 warthog works nicely on 4" and can be made to work in larger with care. And if it hurts a pump, it can't hurt it much as the I have three, one with ~9 years, one with ~6 years, one with one year, all running strong on original pumps.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Like I said over 5 GPM it makes a difference, right at 5 and under you can use the smaller line but I wonder have you used 3/8 line? Did 3/8 not work for you? And by the way a 5gpm pump is kinda rare as most are 4. I have a 5gpm unit and a 4 and that extra 1 gallon seems to make a difference when cleaning. On my 12 gpm pump I was using 3/8 then switched to 1/2 and it really made a huge difference. You ready for winter Ace?
          Last edited by Cuda; 11-11-2008, 10:35 AM.
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

Lose the burner? Thought in some situations hot water would clean better. My rig is set up on a 16' open trailer so space is not an issue.

I was wondering whether to go 1/4" or 3/8". How much difference will 3/8" be in performance compared to 1/4" with a 5gpm pump? Also how much hose to start with? I was thinking no less than 500'. Overkill?

Any suggestions on where to look for the material needed to convert?

Thanks
            Jim

Comment

Originally posted by JimNC View Post
              Thanks for the responses.

Lose the burner? Thought in some situations hot water would clean better. My rig is set up on a 16' open trailer so space is not an issue.

I was wondering whether to go 1/4" or 3/8". How much difference will 3/8" be in performance compared to 1/4" with a 5gpm pump? Also how much hose to start with? I was thinking no less than 500'. Overkill?

Any suggestions on where to look for the material needed to convert?

Thanks
              Jim
              I would want both sizes so you can do 1 1/2" and 2" lines also. If I had to buy just one I would get the 3/8 line . As for the length it depends where your jobs will be? How long is the average run to the sewer? For me 200' is fine in the city. Also too much hose can give you friction loss so just buy for your intended use and later buy more!
              I would also recommend a foot switch and a good hose reel with it's own shut off valve as well.
              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                I would also recommend a foot switch and a good hose reel with it's own shut off valve as well.
                I agree with Cuda a foot switch is a must have as well as the reel. Have it set up so you can run your main jet hose into the foot switch and then the reel.

Comment

where is a good place to buy the hose and reel and foot switch i see alot of places online but it scares me buying from them without a refference first.
                  Mike
                  Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                  www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Originally posted by haycad View Post
                    where is a good place to buy the hose and reel and foot switch i see alot of places online but it scares me buying from them without a refference first.

This is where I got most of my parts for a PW conversion:

http://www.pressure-washer-parts.com/default.htm

Service isn't great but if you know what you are looking for, no worries.

Comment

Originally posted by haycad View Post
                      I have bought from these guys good prices fast shipping
                      http://www.pwmall.com/website/N2ZECH...ATMASTERID=644
                      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

A long hose is nice as the nozzle end takes the brunt of the wear and when it gets beat up you can trim it back and recrimp and still have a useable length. 500' is long long long... has some advantages as you get a price break at carton lengths, which for the parker hose I buy happen to be 500'.

If you go with a portable reel as others have suggested, I wouldn't want to lug 500' in and out. Maybe 150' on the reel and 150 to get to it. Foot switches sound nice but I've never had one and don't feel a need. Actualy shying away from them as you then need an unloader as well... more complexity, more expense, more things to break, and I'm worried it's one of those things you think you don't need til you've had it, then you could never stand to go back. Lord knows I've had to bolt for the van to shut her down more than once.

If you go with 1/4", you will likely find 500' too long as your machine is 3kpsi and you will lose a lot of that pressure to the hose and there won't be much left at the nozzle. I buy about 350' as less than 250' I start running into problems getting to where I want to go. Not that I am doing 250' lines very often, but I often have 50-100' laying on the ground getting from the van to the cleanout. 350' leaves me room to trim 50' off it twice and the flip it end for end once... 4 hoses for the price of one.

The burner will be nice on grease, my rigs ride in the back of the van so space much more of a issue for me. I wouldn't lug a trailer around if it got me less than 12gpm, but everyone's situation is different. I do a lot of work in condo buildings and need to be able to negotiate underground parking. Also its freezes here every night for about 8 mo and most days for about 5 mo, so that's one more thing that has to have a warm bed. May not be an issue for you.

I use ts2020 pump on one machine, think the other is a 5050 or something, both geared to run around 5.5 gpm at 2500rpm engine. The newest jetter I had built with an AR direct drive pump that I think is 5.5 or 6. Kicks butt on space savings allowing me to cram more junk in the van and be more crowded than ever.

Winter has been here for 10 days Cuda; snowed election night and a few times since and that has stuck. Snowing right now. First real snow a couple weeks before that but it didn't stick. Not that I am ready. I can tell its back though as the people must be in town; I've picked up from 2-3k a week back to 5. I know better than to get worried during the seasonal slowdown, but I did anyway this year. Now I'm running under the gun as I slacked on ordering spares and making repairs to save $.

Comment

Was thinking of a mounted reel instead of portable. PW'er has an unloader, K-7 to be exact. If no foot switch then ball valve? Thought foot valve would make it a little easier especially when running solo sometimes.

I will stick with the 1/4" to start and go with 300' instead of the 500'. Guess I need to check temp rating on jetter hose when using burner.

Have a couple options I been contemplating on whether to use open trailer or back of my Dodge. Also have a 6x10 enclosed trailer I could set up. Not sure, I'll decide later. I currently have a 525gal tank on trailer but thinking of going to 125-200. Any suggestions?

Would like to see some pics of the connections at the pump to see how to convert pump to jet action.

Thanks
                          Jim

Comment

A few things If you have the unloader valve already go with the foot switch. From a safety stand point you can control the jet from where the reel hose will be entering a line, running up stairs from a basement or going down a ladder to get back to the truck to shut down a jet is dangerous. My reel has 200ft of hose which is about the maximum for our laterals. If you have a 500 gallon tank leave it, nothing says you have to fill it up all the way. You never know, when you get a tough job not close to water having the extra will be worth it. That is if the vehicle towing the trailer can handle the weight.

Comment

Originally posted by JimNC View Post
                              Was thinking of a mounted reel instead of portable. PW'er has an unloader, K-7 to be exact. If no foot switch then ball valve? Thought foot valve would make it a little easier especially when running solo sometimes.

I will stick with the 1/4" to start and go with 300' instead of the 500'. Guess I need to check temp rating on jetter hose when using burner.

Have a couple options I been contemplating on whether to use open trailer or back of my Dodge. Also have a 6x10 enclosed trailer I could set up. Not sure, I'll decide later. I currently have a 525gal tank on trailer but thinking of going to 125-200. Any suggestions?

Would like to see some pics of the connections at the pump to see how to convert pump to jet action.

Thanks
                              Jim
                              I need the foot valve because when I get stuck I tap the hell out of it and need both my hands on the line to twist to get it unstuck. One more thing on your current PW It is 5 gpm but what size pw hose does it have right now? Probably 3/8 so thats how you get your current rating be a bummer to get 1/4 and have it cut down your gpm to less then the stock 5.
                              I am in seattle so I use and enclosed trailer for rain and to stop thieves.
                              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Working...
                              X