X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable cleaning - Need help guys!!

Since this forum has the best and most knowledgable guys in the Plumbing and Drain Cleaning world, I'd thought I'd get everyone's opinion about this debacle

I actually wrote about this in another post, but now my problem is cleaning my cable. There was a second floor 3" PVC line was clogged solid. I didn't smell Drain-O or it didn't burn my skin when I had to transfer water from the toilet to a bucket, but I asked the customer, they said they used it.

So after I clear the drain with my K60 (7/8" cable) and start pulling back my cable, there is a bunch of crap on it. I couldn't tell if it was diarrhea or food! It was probably a mixture of both. Yummy! I tried using the water supply connector to spray off the junk but it didn't get all of it off. I couldn't use the outside faucets because they were winterized already.

Anyways, that night, I tried cleaning my cable with the garden hose at my dad's house and with a good spray gun on the end. Well, it's cold now and this is about a week later, but now my cable has rust stains all over! Maybe I'm overreacting, but is there something I should soak my cable in so it doesn't deteriorate any more after every job? Should I lay out my cable on the street after every main drain call and use some product on it to clean it up real good?

I would appreciate any help on this subject. Thanks again, guys!!
    YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Re: Cable cleaning - Need help guys!!

I don't take care of my cable nearly as well as some say I should. In fact a few weeks ago I found two sections behind my shed in the tall grass (almost found them with the mower). They've been sitting there all summer. I did use a bit of snake oil on the ends to keep things moving freely but other then that they are fine.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

get most of the loose gunk off, wash them in fresh (pressure) water, use a degreaser if necessary, and oil 'em down. i usually use WD-40.

moderate care means a longer life. a little sudrace rust, IMHO, won't hurt a thing. i usually check the attaching pins to make sure they have good travel and spring return.

steve
      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Make sure you spray your cables off with a hose after each use and I would suggest that you apply RIDGID Rust Inhibitor.

See the link below for more information.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Cable-Rust-Inhibitor/
        Renee

Product Manager

RIDGID Drain Cleaning

Comment

I do almost zero cable maintenance. I don't think I go through any more cables than anyone else. Mostly if I wreck a cable, it's from overtorquing it doing something I really out to have a bigger cable for but am too lazy to go get.

If I trip over a can of wd-40 and the van door is open and the snake is right there, I might squirt some in the drum. Mostly to keep the little dried up flakes of rust (which I think are mostly off the inside of the drum, not from the cable anyway) stuck to the cable so they don't fly all over as I'm feeding it out.

The easiest cleaning method I think is to run a bunch of water in the line after you've popped the clog while rotating the machine and wiping off with a rag as you pull back.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
            The easiest cleaning method I think is to run a bunch of water in the line after you've popped the clog while rotating the machine and wiping off with a rag as you pull back.
            Yeah, that is what I usually do but this bathroom didn't have a shower or tub and the sinks drained into another stack and didn't tie in until after the clog. I should of used the water closet supply line but of course I was talking to the homeowner and wasn't thinking at the time

I hate it when I miss little things like that.
            YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

kitchen grease is the worst and most difficult to clean. also it's acidic.

i will use oil or wd40 on the male/ pin connectors to keep them from sticking. then a quick spray on the cables in the cage.

i find that sectionals are much easier to keep clean and last longer. the tight wind on a drum cable is much harder to clean and if it's innercore, the inner core can rust to the outer cable.

with sectionals, the pin connector is the only real thing that needs lubing.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Man, I'm destroying my oldest cable that I had for my 100 drum and it pains me to know I've been so rough with it.

One kink a couple weeks ago because I was slow to react,

the other two yesterday because I thought I could double back the cable in a 2" line to catch the reverse sweep of the tee. Dumbass!
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

The easiest way to clean a cable is to clean it as you're snaking out a line. Run water as your cleaning, if going through a closet bend, put a 20" riser on the angle stop for a water supply. In your case, just get the cable in the cage and toss the whole thing in the dishwasher...........just kidding, don't do this. But seriously, take it to a car wash and spray it down with their pressure washer and spray wd40 afterwards. Don't worry about the surface rust, 1st time you go through a C/I line, it'll all be gone
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                    In your case, just get the cable in the cage and toss the whole thing in the dishwasher...........just kidding, don't do this.
                    Are you making fun of me? I was going to do this with Rick's milkshake cable. As long as there are no dishes in there with it, why not?
                    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

I would never poke fun at you. Something about where waste goes and my clean dishes doesn't seem right.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

On a drum machine oiling the cable is not only good for the cable but also the feeder and it makes it coil in the drum easier.
                        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          I would never poke fun at you. Something about where waste goes and my clean dishes doesn't seem right.
                          I have an antibacterial rinse cycle with a stainless tub. Maybe it was just my available choices. To me, this sounded way better than my hubby drinking from a waste infested cutter and oily cable.

He took your side
                          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by renee View Post
                            make sure you spray your cables off with a hose after each use and i would suggest that you apply ridgid rust inhibitor.

See the link below for more information.

http://www.ridgid.com/tools/cable-rust-inhibitor/
                            spam

hahahahaha
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                              I have an antibacterial rinse cycle with a stainless tub. Maybe it was just my available choices. To me, this sounded way better than my hubby drinking from a waste infested cutter and oily cable.

He took your side
                              where do you think the chocolate in the milkshake came from

plus it's a diet shake 48 hours later

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X