X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clean outs that you cant get to

I had a call to night the customer had a toilet stopped up. I got there found the toilet clogged and went to the basement to find the clean out. I found it inside a very nice looking cabinet half way up the wall just big enough to hide the clean out, There was no room to reach in with a wrench to take it off and even if I did there was no way to get a bucket under there to catch the backed up water.Need less to say I had to abandon that nice clean out and dig down out side and cut in to the pipe to clean it out.More time and more money, last night I saw one behind a wall so it was hid. I keep running in to this more and more,On some I have to take down part of the wall some times the cost of getting to the clean out is more then the cleaning.What do they think the clean out is for?. I have had calls from old customers that have good clean outs but they have so much stuff piled up that it takes longer to clear a spot then to clean the drain. I am thinking that I will start going to clubs and speaking about how to save money when you call a repair man I think it would be good advertisement and help the home owners save some money,

Re: clean outs that you cant get to

I'd just pull a toilet if there's much to do with accessing a cleanout.

It sucks, but it works and floor drains if not backed up to the big picture won't clear the obstruction.

Next customer that tells me "Well the last guy only charged this much" is going to wear my forearm and take dive down a set of steps.

I'm not going to tolerate miscommunication anymore.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

this is why ridgid invented the k-60

as long as there is a roof vent that i can access, i don't need to pull the toilet.

older homes had 4'' vents and newer ones are 2''. now if the roof is steep or more than 2 stories, then i pull the toilet or dig.

very few basements here.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I couldn't get close to the toilet the hall and bathroom was to small to get my equipment to and there was no roof vent it was a home made plumbing job. Around here the home owners when they put in indoor plumbing would get a case or two of beer and some pipe and call some family and friends over for a pipe and beer party.

Comment

rick!

Did you just get paid for sayin' that?

Maybe I start tag lining my sentences with "300 threading machine" and start watching the fedex trucks to show up.

You need to see the homes here; 8/12, 10/12, 12/12 pitched roofs that you almost need a crane to work off of.

I don't understand why it is such a craze on these homes but some of them are more roof than house the way they chop them up in a million ways.

Type in 11092 Triple Crown blvd Richwood Kentucky 41091 in Google maps
          and look at some of these homes.

I guess a boom truck would work.

Comment

you get rain and snow

we get sun and rays

i guess i can answer every drain cleaning question with propress

but then that wouldn't be correct.

the k-60 has been all i say it is and more

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Mine really needs to be "ridgid sewer camera"

What was I thinking, 300 threading machine??~!

That would weigh a lot and require a lot of work.

The camera however would look good under my christmas tree.

Comment

I don't know what code you're under but ipc does specifially state clearance around a cleanout. If your customer's plumbing is not to code, that's not your fault and your pay should be compensated as such. I do have add ons for inaccessible cleanouts.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I don't have a K-60, But do all My threading on a 12" pitch roof , does that count ?????
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                    Next customer that tells me "Well the last guy only charged this much"...
                    Great comebacks for that saying....

"Why didn't you call him back if he was such a great deal?" If the customer says they couldn't get ahold of him, say, "Well, he might be out of business because he didn't charge enough to stay in business."

"Well the last customer said that I don't charge enough! I guess they realize quality workmanship when they see it."

"Tradesmen that are masters in their field of work are usually in high demand, which usually comes with a higher price tag, just like other professions."

Just a few off the top of my head.
                    YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Working...
                    X