Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: snake in the main drain

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
    Now that Pete has been welcomed into the fold, does this mean we can't bash RR anymore?
    Oh hell no! away!
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Here is a professional "cleanout". Duckbutter posted this pic. He went in behind roto-rooter.

Comment

Originally posted by CableMaster View Post
        Also about the "just roots" roots are the definitive answer that the line is broken. There is no other way they can get in unless:the line is broken or installed wrong.
        Welcome Pete.

We'll be glad to have your input. You'll have to endure a little hazing due to the general consensus on rr. I sugest you try not to let yourself get lit up; maybe you can change some minds.

I have to disagree with the above statement; roots commonly grow in at the joints in otherwise perfect clay lines.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Now that Pete has been welcomed into the fold, does this mean we can't bash RR anymore?
          I guess Dunbar answered my question

Comment

DUNBAR, You ever hear the saying "the truth is inflammatory " ? Mike Savage
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I guess Dunbar answered my question

The time has cometh! Been waiting for this chance for a loooong time.

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              DUNBAR, You ever hear the saying "the truth is inflammatory " ? Mike Savage

Almost like a rash leading to a raging infection with no known cure!~
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I have to say that I have never got stuck in a perfect line either! Of course it was a soft stoppage cuz the line was perfect!!! Now on to the real world the lines are not perfect roots are in the line and we try to clear them if you have never been stuck then you haven't done enough lines! I was not at the posters job so I don't know exactly what went down but I have been to many jobs where a big franchise sent out a young kid that gets stuck and makes it worse thinking rerverse means remove, which just kinks and coils the snake up because he panics. Then the closet other employee comes out trys to help and they cut the cable saying we have to excavate your line. I hope someone runs a camera down this line and tells us what the problem really is on this thread.
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

If we were snaking a drain where we felt we were going to have a problem we would advise the HO if we destroyed a cable they would be charged for a cable, if the cable broke off in the drain they would have to pay to dig it up. Most opted to have it cameraed to figure out what was going on but others wanted us to keep trying. I can't ever recall charging for a cable and I only broke one cable in 35-years.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

What a great thread!

Welcome to the board Pete...

To Pete: I gotta say my experience with the franchise drain cleaners is a direct contradicition to your statements... A master plumber buddy of mine owns 3 Mr.R franchises in my area and hires um right off the street they get to go on a ride around for a week sometimes 2 to learn the trade once he is fairly comfortable that they will not hurt themselves off they go into the big world with the instruction to call a "Production manager" if they get into something sticky or have a tuff customer.

The only thing that disqualifies a Mr. R drain cleaner is a bad Drivers license or a bad drug test.

We as plumbers assume a certain amount of risk when we send a snake blindly down a line. After you stick a cable is not the time for the customer to learn their options...

None of us are perfect and we must earn an OK living doing what we are doing or we would not be doing it so IMO a stuck cable is the cost of doing business...

Do no harm, go and get your cable at your own expense...

Okie

Comment

I have only gotten one cable really stuck and it was MY FAULT. I was stupid and tried to force the cable through impossibly large roots. I have cleaned many hundreds of mainlines and I can tell you that the chances of getting stuck depend mostly on the operator. An experienced, careful drain-cleaner will most likely never get stuck. However, an inept person can easily get the cable stuck and/or snap it by forcing it, its called operator error.
                      The reason this happened to the OP is most likely because the roto-rooter tech was incompetent.

Comment

So Dunbar, why don't you tell us your true feeling about RR?

The RR in my area is a total ripoff and I really despise them but Pete isn't in my area and maybe his RR is a good one. Maybe before we all jump to conclusions on him, we should wait and see. Just because your company is bad, doesn't make you the same. Me and Carl both worked for ruthless companies but both of us are good people, but bills have to be paid. Let's not prejudge him, wait till he has at least 3 posts.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I know there are good people in prison, but prison isn't for good people.

Amazing that we live states apart with the same named company with the same issues? Not a coincidence, it's a well known pattern that I've come to know through my 20 plus years being a part of this plumbing profession.

I'm not the one doing the bad deeds, I'm just calling them out. He's got 3 posts and depending on his stance...

depends on whether I act like a dumb homeowner and video it all for this internet community and youtube to show you what I put to words is true. A simple clogged drain is all I'll provide, maybe a leaky faucet.

I can probably get that same tech to my house if I take the time to call that victim and look at the receipt.

The above are things I never have to worry about as a tradesman because I act and perform like a reputable businessman everywhere I go.

I can put myself up to the same scrutiny and hold my own knowing I don't defame the trade that provides my livelihood.

Some don't care, but I do in this profession whether I'm piss broke or just get by providing my livelihood.
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

While I too have horror stories regarding RR I'm sure not all franchises (or "techs") are created equal. Consider when we follow up on a RR call it is likely because the HO was unhappy. How many happy HO are there that we don't get called by?

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                              If we were snaking a drain where we felt we were going to have a problem we would advise the HO if we destroyed a cable they would be charged for a cable, if the cable broke off in the drain they would have to pay to dig it up. Most opted to have it cameraed to figure out what was going on but others wanted us to keep trying. I can't ever recall charging for a cable and I only broke one cable in 35-years.

Mark
                              I see that you said that you had not broken a cable.
                              Have you broken many spiral augers?
                              I broke one the other day doing a blocked drain.
                              The drain was on grade and then dropped down a vertical jump up. The only problem was that the bend was broken and missing.
                              What happened was the auger went straight ahead into the clay, got lodge and broke. Not warranty issue just **** happens sometimes.
                              I camered the line and saw that the bend had been smashed and that the dirt on the outside of the pipe was the only thing diverting the sewer down the line.

Simon

Comment

I cant wait to see Roto Rooter in Australia .
                                Dont they cary cameras in their vans?
                                Regards
                                Greg

Comment

Working...
                                X