Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: snake in the main drain

Simon
    Post a photo of that job you were telling us about that broke the head.
    Regards
    Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Some Day Plumbing View Post
      I see that you said that you had not broken a cable.
      Have you broken many spiral augers?
      I broke one the other day doing a blocked drain.
      The drain was on grade and then dropped down a vertical jump up. The only problem was that the bend was broken and missing.
      What happened was the auger went straight ahead into the clay, got lodge and broke. Not warranty issue just **** happens sometimes.
      I camered the line and saw that the bend had been smashed and that the dirt on the outside of the pipe was the only thing diverting the sewer down the line.

Simon
      Did You repair the line??
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

In the past 40 some years and as meany thousands of drains I cleaned I broke or got stuck maybe 15 or 20 cables and of that maybe 7 I couldn't get out with the retrieving head or working with it those old round saw cutters were bad if you had a off joint or roots since I started using the C shaped cutters I haven't had much problem getting stuck. It depends on where your at, here we have a lot of quick sand and clay tile so some times your head will come out to the top of the yard and the folks have hit it with a shovel thinking it was a snake after them. But I have seen people rent machines and try to put the biggest cutter on that came with it for the first pass and get caught in a root mass. We don't have RR around here so I cant throw any stones, but we do have a lot of plumbing co. that put the last guy to get hired on drain cleaning and they try to get out as fast as they can, or use a sink line machine with a half in. cable on a 6 in. main line and if it don't open they tell them it has to be dug, and they need a new toilet and bath tub and the roof don't look so good they just have a machine so they can get there foot in the door. I have been called to meany of these drains to see if I can get them open or get there stuck cable out most times I could but a few did need replacing. All I do is clean drains so if I say it needs replacing they know I am not trying to rip them off.

Comment

Originally posted by Some Day Plumbing View Post
          I see that you said that you had not broken a cable.
          Have you broken many spiral augers?
          I broke one the other day doing a blocked drain.
          The drain was on grade and then dropped down a vertical jump up. The only problem was that the bend was broken and missing.
          What happened was the auger went straight ahead into the clay, got lodge and broke. Not warranty issue just **** happens sometimes.
          I camered the line and saw that the bend had been smashed and that the dirt on the outside of the pipe was the only thing diverting the sewer down the line.

Simon

The H/O wishes for me to quote to fix the broken pipe but I suspect that the reason that the pipe is broken is that there was a blocked drain there previously and because there was a 87 deg bend that the drain machine smashed the bend.
          I think that I need to camera the line down the jump up after I expose the broken pipe.

Pictures of inside the pipe.
          Attached Files

Comment

So this is ANOTHER case where the original poster never returns...I to have been called to a broken cable left in a sewer line by a MAJOR rodding company.

Comment

Working...
            X