X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snake in the main drain

Roto rooter came to my house and got the snake stuck. They cut it off and left it there. Are they liable for removing it, or is it my headache?

Re: snake in the main drain

Free gift with every purchase. Sweet.

Have you called them and spoke to someone ?

Comment

I bet it was a drum cable

Wouldn't have happened with a k-60
      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

They are liable. Unless you signed a waiver claiming otherwise. Next time don't call a national franchise, its like hiring Mcdonald's to make your thanksgiving dinner. Next time, call a reliable plumber/drain-cleaner like me.
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by donwitness View Post
          Roto rooter came to my house and got the snake stuck. They cut it off and left it there. Are they liable for removing it, or is it my headache?
          This should really be in the drain cleaning forum.

Gray area. A stuck cable means there is something more than a straightforward clog here... possibly just roots if this is the main line for the house, which they should have been prepared for. Possibly something more, like a broken or separated line. I'd not feel at fault for getting stuck in a broken line. Main thing I'd blame them for is not staying with it and resolving the problem, though you may have had something to do with that depending on how the conversation went.

Wildly inappropriate cable for what they are doing, or a really poor choice of how to go about getting the equipment to the problem would I think be their fault if that is what's been done. What size and material is the line? What diameter and style of cable? What length of cable in line? What was the access point?

Call them up and talk with them and see. Judge their attitude and see if you want them back anyway. Understand, unless something very stupid has been done you do not have a straightforward clog, and should not expect it to be removed without some time and hassle and therefore some expense.

Regardless, it's got to come out, and the original problem needs to be resolved. There are a couple guys here in your area I think; you might want to contact one of them if you can't get any help from the company who got it stuck.

I'd get it to drain if I could, then run a camera and see what's got ahold of it and what can be done about it. If you can't get drainage, then it's just got to come out of there somehow, by backhoe if neccessary, before much else can be done.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

If the line is bad thats your problem (the line) The broken cable is their problem period whether it was already weak or too small of size or a broken line he forced it and got it stuck Tell them to get their cable out of your line.
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Chances are *fair* that your sewer is bad.But there is a fighting chance that it was only bad roots and the tech had no clue how to deal with it.RR runs Ridgid drum machines 11/16 cables.They will hire anyone that can buy a van.Purchase van=drain cleaner.
              I am in the neighborhood and have a camera.Is it draining at all? Seeping?
              What part of town are you in?After the dry summer we have had here the roots have been aggressive!

Comment

OK Folks first time poster to this Board. First let me say that we do not hire just anybody with a van. Second our employees go through extensive training and most do not make it. They do not buy a van unless we feel they are going to complete training.
                As for the cable stuck in the line, we can not accept responsibility for any issues that exist with the line. I am from the East Coast not from your area so I can not speak for that location but If our techs get stuck in a line, a manager is called and every possible option is used to try and clear or remove it. Then as a last resort we offer to excavate it. I have never had a cable stuck in a perfect sewer line in my 22 years of being in the business. It is unfortunate that it is in there, but there was a problem to begin with before the tech started or you would not have had to call. Also about the "just roots" roots are the definitive answer that the line is broken. There is no other way they can get in unless:the line is broken or installed wrong.
                Drum Machines are very good machine's I personally prefer open basket but I am "Old School"
                Please call the office and ask to speak with a production manager and explain what had happened.We are about the customer now and always have been.
                Pete
                Roto Rooter Production manager

Comment

Welcome to the forum Pete
                  ________
                  Buy Herbalaire Vaporizer
                  Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:19 PM.
                  Mike

Comment

HI Pete I am new here too about 2 weeks posting. The guys here are great. hope to here more from you. George

Comment

Originally posted by CableMaster View Post
                      OK Folks first time poster to this Board. First let me say that we do not hire just anybody with a van. Second our employees go through extensive training and most do not make it. They do not buy a van unless we feel they are going to complete training.
                      As for the cable stuck in the line, we can not accept responsibility for any issues that exist with the line. I am from the East Coast not from your area so I can not speak for that location but If our techs get stuck in a line, a manager is called and every possible option is used to try and clear or remove it. Then as a last resort we offer to excavate it. I have never had a cable stuck in a perfect sewer line in my 22 years of being in the business. It is unfortunate that it is in there, but there was a problem to begin with before the tech started or you would not have had to call. Also about the "just roots" roots are the definitive answer that the line is broken. There is no other way they can get in unless:the line is broken or installed wrong.
                      Drum Machines are very good machine's I personally prefer open basket but I am "Old School"
                      Please call the office and ask to speak with a production manager and explain what had happened.We are about the customer now and always have been.
                      Pete

Pete, sorry if I offended. I worked for a franchise for awhile (Mr.R), and I know some of them can be very professional. Here's the problem at the one where I worked and I have heard this same story from many others who worked at one, or hired one:
                      Owner starts franchise, gets good techs, starts out great. Company succeeds with good techs, onner makes money. Owner gets greedy, starts hiring young, idiots with no experience and things go downhill from there. I quit along with all the other good techs. Now franchise owner has compnany full of inexperienced morons. They charge more than anyone in town, yet they have snot-nosed kids with no experience working there.

I know not all franchise owners are like that, but unfortunately MANY are. The rooter companies in particular have developed a bad reputation over the years, with so many franchise owners that do things like I described above. So I mean no disprespect to you personally. I was simply making a generalization. I don't like franchises as I have experienced them. I know one ex-franchise-owner (not RR) who absolutely hated his money-sucking franchise and is doing much better now that he is out.

Maybe you will be a better example than I have experienced thus far.
                      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Now that Pete has been welcomed into the fold, does this mean we can't bash RR anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by CableMaster View Post
                          Pete

Oh wow, game on.

Well Pete, Let me tell you how your workers under your signature line treat the good citizens in my area:

Last week, I get a call from a lady calling for another, solely because of some advertising I do on my high school alumni website. She calls upset, concerned that the plumber just cleared the drain and is demanding $3200 to fix the pipe and it has to be done TODAY to get that price which the tech said was cheap given the work.

He indicated some type of bladder would be installed which would only last ten years would fix the problem, short of tearing down a deck.

Roto Rooter has been to this property numerous times to clear the obstruction, always soft matter clogs and this time "all of a sudden" that the line was collapsed and drain cleaning wouldn't work to keep it open.

The property owner mentioned that a camera guy came out to inspect the drain but did not, would not show her the video inspection of the condition of the pipe. The camera guy came and went without notifying the customer of the actual condition of the piping.

Apparently the tech is more of a salesman than a plumber as the woman was upset when she called, stating this guy was making statement to the following:

"Having 3 women here doesn't help matters much in regards to toilet paper usage." ???

Nice. Make a woman feel bad for being a woman, is that how you close a sale? Guilt the customer based on their s/e/x and obligate the problem onto them so you hook the fish?

The guy apparently by the actions told by the female customer stated that he wouldn't get up from the table in her home when she instantly objected to the $3000+ cost and the guy acted like it should happen without second thinking.

Is your company hurting that bad these days? Has to be, anyone running on a national level right now is hurting due to shrinkage of the # of calls and apparently your techs have changed gears again to follow the ritual oh so known to your kind,

"Get in, Get out, Charge as much as you can because you're never coming back."

One thing is for sure; if the lady would of given me permission to come over that very next day and I pulled roots back on my cable? I would of had your "tech" by the balls and the customer would of demanded her money back. If I wanted to save the world and baby seals, I would of camera'd the drain to find out you probably cabled the drain just enough to open it. Speculation? Of course.

But the track record of your guys trying to pound the highest 30% commission based on how much you can charge to the customer on those "free estimates" you tote to get the customer to commit to on spot,

is down right vulgar.

10 of your "techs" could show up at a job, 10 different prices given the greediness of who's at the door to rape a checkbook.

Funny as hell you joined a forum to save face for a customer that apparently you've screwed, left holding the bag.

It's the same old "We do things right, we'll blame everything but our inexperienced "techs". Roots? Oh that's a drain problem. Just leave the cable there, we're done here! Can't make any money on this job!

The majority of your "techs" have much of nothing more than a driver's license, and if you could get away with not having those, you'd probably do it to save on that expense as well. These guys randomly send me resumes, if you call it that and I'm thinking...how can you work that many years and not be licensed? Big gaping holes in the track record.

Stick around here as you'll be the punching bag to my almost weekly words that come from my new customers you create by hammering it home in ripping the customer off.

You're the only company running with a stock market index, it got that way by intentional profiteering at the expense of customer that impulse buy.

And you make sure that the trained "techs" do everything possible to close that sale...just because their's commission to be made at the highest number for the task done.

Stick around and don't be a one time poster, let alone come back with a million excuses why your "techs" think more of patch than a fix in most cases.

You're grouped into this mindset because you've earned it solely by the BBB reports you carry in every state.

BBB processed a total of 48 complaint(s) about this business in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total 48 complaint(s) closed in the last 36 months, 18 were closed in the last 12 months.

These complaints concerned: 1 regarding Advertising Issues 1 regarding Advertising Issues
                          4 regarding Billing or Collection Issues 4 regarding Billing or Collection Issues
                          2 regarding Customer Services Issues 2 regarding Customer Services Issues
                          1 regarding Guarantee Or Warranty Issues 1 regarding Guarantee Or Warranty Issues
                          1 regarding Product Issues 1 regarding Product Issues
                          1 regarding Refund Or Exchange Issues 1 regarding Refund Or Exchange Issues
                          16 regarding Repair Issues 16 regarding Repair Issues
                          22 regarding Service Issues 22 regarding Service Issues

These complaints were closed as:
                          7 Administratively Closed 5 Administratively Closed 2 BBB determined that despite the company’s reasonable effort to address complaint issues, the consumer remained dissatisfied.

AND I'M NOT GOING TO BUY THE BS "DUE TO OUR HIGH CALL VOLUME"

There's a whole forum of plumbers in this forum that own their own businesses and don't have as many reports between all of them over twenty years....and yours is a 3 year window,

not counting those who just took it on the chin and didn't report the improper work practices.

I gotta go; turbo dogs is on.
                          Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 11-16-2008, 12:22 PM.
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Don witness , I am not a drain expert,but I know fair and square. Wouldn't leave a customer with less then They had ! And being square ,You must tell the next Drain co.
                            The broken snake is in the line! Take lots of pictures, have the next drain Co document the broken snake, GO TO SMALL CLAIMS COURT ! Oh ,welcome Cable Master
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X