Reliability of 6' Toilet Augers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reliability of 6' Toilet Augers?

Gotta' say I use the plunger method and haven't blown a ring...yet.

My favorite thing to do walk in, use the owners plunger, and be out of there in less than 30 seconds. Done many times.

J.C.

Comment

My favorite thing to do walk in, use the owners plunger, and be out of there in less than 30 seconds. Done many times.

J.C.

It'sa comin!

Do you charge significantly less to use their plunger, the one they tried relentlessly to open the clog with and do it successfully?

That puts the customer in an insulting position of "you don't even know how to use a plunger" mentality.

I would have to charge less as it would be customary to give in to the idea that I took it to the next level by just using their own plunger.

It's bad enough to stick a closet auger in those messes.....but the plunger just makes poop soup and the smell is atrocious.

And...for the 3rd time for anyone to answer,

HOW are you all using a plunger on these newer toilets????!!!!!!!
      Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 11-20-2008, 12:09 AM.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
        WHy is that cool? You make the owner look stupid. Also you don't know if there is an object in there or not, or if you just knocked the paper loose. And most importantly, you can't make any money on a job when you only are there for 30 seconds. Do you even inspect their plumbing at all? Do you offer to fix anything else while you are there?

That is just really poor service in my opinion.
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post

And...for the 3rd time for anyone to answer,

HOW are you all using a plunger on these newer toilets????!!!!!!!
          we've had low flow toilets since 1990.

there is not 1 toilet that i have not been able to plunge that was a toilet stoppage. once again knowing what you're up against is the difference between failure and success.

if there are young kids in the house, with toys around the bathroom, i know it's most likely a toy.

plunging a toilet is either $7.50 if i'm there for other work or $55 if i'm there just for the toilet.

i always advise the customer to attempt to plunge it before i come out.
          they are always amazed that my plunger can get it done. in fact i was going to have custom engraved plungers made as christmas gift, but at $22. each, i passed.

they called me for a toilet stoppage, i fix it and move on. i don't do a home inspection every time i clean a drain.

i guess i could pull a plunger report and compare it to an auger report and see my numbers.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
            WHy is that cool? You make the owner look stupid. Also you don't know if there is an object in there or not, or if you just knocked the paper loose. And most importantly, you can't make any money on a job when you only are there for 30 seconds. Do you even inspect their plumbing at all? Do you offer to fix anything else while you are there?

That is just really poor service in my opinion.
            I understand your point. And IF I were getting callbacks for the same problem then you could call it poor service I suppose. But I have not had one in situations such as this.

Also, I do offer to look at anything else while I'm there to give them more value for their call.

Finally, I don't think the homeowners/businesses have felt stupid. They usually laugh and shake their head while I'm offering to look at other things while I'm there. Plus they have called back at later times to do other things.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              I understand your point. And IF I were getting callbacks for the same problem then you could call it poor service I suppose. But I have not had one in situations such as this.

Also, I do offer to look at anything else while I'm there to give them more value for their call.

Finally, I don't think the homeowners/businesses have felt stupid. They usually laugh and shake their head while I'm offering to look at other things while I'm there. Plus they have called back at later times to do other things.

J.C.

Ok, sorry for my reaction. The way your original post was worded made it sound like you ran things like some two-bit handyman!

I am the opposite of you. I DON'T want to be out of there in 30 seconds...not at all. On every toilet stoppage, I ask my clients if the toilet clogs a lot. A large majority of times they answer, "yes, that darn toilet clogs all the time!" Then I sell them a Toto Drake or something and they never have the problem again!
              Now, THAT'S WHAT I CALL GOOD SERVICE! The customer never has to deal with a clogged bowl again, and I make real money on the call. Everyone wins.
              Last edited by Service Guy; 11-20-2008, 01:02 AM.
              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

JFUITE, hey are you still there after all of this?
                I'm a plunger guy but Dunbar does a great job of making some good points. Those 3'' wax rings that some guys use on a 4" closet flange can cause more grief than the original stoppage. The only time I blew out wax seals was when I was plunging against main line stoppages without knowing about it. I always use a plunger to clear a bowl before I pull the toilet. In my opinion I agree with those that claim the General auger is the best, I've tried almost every brand at one point in my career and was always impressed with the General. On another note, If you are having repeated toilet stoppages, I would consider the American Standard Cadet or Gerber pressure assist toilets. They are not the quietest things in the world but they will launch everything right into the next neighborhood due to their ability to carry solid waste further than a gravity flush toilet.

Comment

The handle on the ridgid auger will fall off after a a few jobs. I converted mine to a power auger after the handle broke off. I like it much better now

DUNBAR
                  I can plunge the Kohler with no problem. It`s a speed thing to make it work. You have to be careful not to splash but it can be done.
                  http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post

DUNBAR
                    I can plunge the Kohler with no problem. It`s a speed thing to make it work. You have to be careful not to splash but it can be done.

The cimmarron or the toto drake?

I was lazy one day and tried my luck at the plunger on my toilet, my clog instead of walking 57' to the back of my truck,

and I did exactly as you mentioned, it went everywhere and I regretted how much work I made in the cleanup. A closet auger would of kept the contents in the bowl and keep my face away from the poo stew.

That's another crucial point: Using a plunger puts your face to the nastineess a lot more than a closet auger. I'm always leaning back when I'm cranking, far far away from the hazardous waste.

If you've ever plunged and felt that spritz back to your face...it's disgusting especially if floaters are involved, some corn and maybe peanuts!!!!

Comment

You young fellers. Why in my day I went to a wedding and the toilet at the reception hall was stopped up I had no tools they had no plunger but I wasn't about to let that wedding get ruined so I tackled it bare handed just cupped my hands and plunged with them the toilet opened right up saved the day. But my wife figured I should leave and wash up, heck I never even got a beer for my trouble. Another time I was in a hurry had a lot of calls that day and I was at a house with a backed up floor drain. The women said that a plumber told her to call me he said I had the Midas touch when it came to opening drains, I felt the drain and knew the stoppage was just in the trap so I took my hands cupped them and plunged and it went open, the women was shocked and asked how I done it. I just looked at her and said didn't you say that other plumber told you about my touch. yup I thought I could take anything till I had my first son and tried to change his diaper, ugh now that is gross how could anyone change one of those things. I guess it is just the mind set we have

Comment

Originally posted by gtmerkley View Post
                        You young fellers. Why in my day I went to a wedding and the toilet at the reception hall was stopped up I had no tools they had no plunger but I wasn't about to let that wedding get ruined so I tackled it bare handed just cupped my hands and plunged with them the toilet opened right up saved the day. But my wife figured I should leave and wash up, heck I never even got a beer for my trouble. Another time I was in a hurry had a lot of calls that day and I was at a house with a backed up floor drain. The women said that a plumber told her to call me he said I had the Midas touch when it came to opening drains, I felt the drain and knew the stoppage was just in the trap so I took my hands cupped them and plunged and it went open, the women was shocked and asked how I done it. I just looked at her and said didn't you say that other plumber told you about my touch. yup I thought I could take anything till I had my first son and tried to change his diaper, ugh now that is gross how could anyone change one of those things. I guess it is just the mind set we have
                        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

In my experience, you probably already know if it's a main line clog from the customers description over the phone or just turn on the lav and/or tub and watch it gurgle or it's already coming out from underneath.

The General is very hard to get through certain traps. But, General is all I have ever used.

You know how sometimes it's fun to just say "no charge". Well, a plunge job is perfect for that. If a customer has already spent $$$$$$$$ with me this year, I plunge it and go, no charge. It firms up the customer loyalty.

I don't think a customer has ever felt insulted or embarrassed that I could clear it and they couldn't. I just say "experience counts."

But, I usually only use the plunger if the water is clear or almost clear. If it is full of crap, it gets augered. And contrary to popular belief, the sh_t will fly with an auger too.
                          "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by gtmerkley View Post

last week in costa rica i unstopped 2 toilets and fixed 1 tub drain for our group.

all i had was a swiss army knife and the ice tongs from the ice bucket

need i say more

i was the group leader and they knew i was a plumber

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              last week in costa rica i unstopped 2 toilets and fixed 1 tub drain for our group.

all i had was a swiss army knife and the ice tongs from the ice bucket

need i say more

i was the group leader and they knew i was a plumber

rick.
                              Your my kind of guy get it done anyway you have to with whatever you got if you have to. UH have you figured out how to change them dirty dippers yet without puking ? my kids out grown them but what happens when I get grand kids!

Comment

This thread is making me SICK!

BLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGHHHHH!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X