X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just getting started...

Hello, gentlemen. I found the Ridgid forums by accident about a year ago. Since then, I drop into the plumbing/drain cleaning to catch up on the latest, but haven't posted. I enjoy the subjects and always pick something up from the vast experience here. I started service plumbing/drain cleaning about a year ago. I'm very close to getting my license and starting my own small business. Up til now, I've used the company's equipment. Now, I must decide on what to buy for myself. Most of my limited experience is with beat-up drum machines. Worked with one guy who had his own K60 sectional. I think that will be my first purchase. I'd also like to have a drum machine in the arsenal- for inside use as the only drawback to sectionals I can see is the mess. (Plus the inconvenience of having to add/unlock the sections) No drum to push into while in a customers bath or kitchen. Right now, can't afford a camera, but it is on the short list for future purchase. Any input or advice is much appreciated.

Re: Just getting started...

Buy a
    -k39af with 5/16 x 35 innercore cable
    -k60 with a lot of 7/8 and 5/8 cable
    -either a spartan 100 or ridgid 3800 if you really want a drum machine but this one is a nice to have rather than needed.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      Buy a
      -k39af with 5/16 x 35 innercore cable
      -k60 with a lot of 7/8 and 5/8 cable
      -either a spartan 100 or ridgid 3800 if you really want a drum machine but this one is a nice to have rather than needed.
      agreed, except for the drum. don't have one and don't see a need. i'd rather have a gas powered jetter

steve
      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

what license are you about to get if you have only been plumbing a year?
        Mike
        Clark County Plumbing And Drain
        www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Tuff time to start a business. Read through the business section of the forum, lots of good advice.

Personally I think you should wait until you can get a camera. If your local competition doesn't have one, this will set you apart in a good way. If most do have one and you don't, you will also be set apart but in a negative way.
          I honestly think my business would have failed without a camera. I get a lot of work because of it.

GOOD LUCK! and to the forum. What took you so long to post? We don't bite, well maybe Dunbar. Always approach him in a non aggressive, submissive way, and hold your hand out so he can get a good smell. Try not to show/feel fear. If he smells the fear theres no telling what he might do.
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and advice. To answer your question, I just passed the Master plumbing contractor test in Florida. I've been plumbing five years, but doing service full time for one. Did some sidework, service, and repair the first four, but that was in addition to the massive construction that was going on here. That isn't now... So now everybody wants to be in service. One reason I started plumbing was the dream of one day having my own business. Me, a truck full of parts, and maybe an occaisional helper. I never dreamed of having 10+ trucks, an office, employees, and trying to outbid every other guy trying to capitalize on a booming construction market. Based on the quality of work I've seen(not just in plumbing, either), there should be plenty of work for years to come in service. I will have a 4gpm gas jetter, but I agree 100% about the camera. You really need it for drain cleaning. Had one when I worked for the "Rooter" co. After you clear a blockage for the 2nd time and the customer says, "Why does it keep happening? What's wrong?" "I dunno.. You're guess is as good as mine. Could be a belly. As soon as I get enough cash for a camera, I'll have a better answer!" That just aint gonna cut it..

Comment

One good thing is if you buy used, about 85% of the K60's on Ebay are from Florida.
              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Working...
              X