Drill for retrieving stuck cable

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill for retrieving stuck cable

Any preference on what type of drill to use when retrieving a stuck cable? I don't know if there is a chuck that will hold the 7/8" cable, so I guess I would just need one for 3/8" or 5/16" cable.

Thanks in advance.
    YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Re: Drill for retrieving stuck cable

Can you give a little more information ? how meany cables are in the line. did you drill it in and cant get it out? did you use a drain cleaning machine or just a drill attachment ? is the connecter still in tact or is it broke ? do you think it is tree roots or something other that has it stuck?. If it is in tack and you think it is stuck in roots, send a small arrow down the line to cut the roots away from the head this may get it out.dont worry about getting the two wrapped up I never had this happen with the bigger cable. what kind of clean out are you going through a floor drain or cleanouts ? if you used a k 60 can you get a 1500 with 7/8" jaws or in a pinch go rent a bigger machine and put a cable retriever head on. Sometimes I can take a cable that I run in with a Ridgid machine and just give it a few jerks and it will come out. If I get stuck with a Ridgid I will hook an eel mod C to it and tighten the clutch tight and it will come out. Good Luck

Comment

unless you want to cut the cable short, you will need a k-38/39 with the keyless chuck. this will allow you to load all the excess cable into the drum and grip it close to the drain.

nothing like trying to use a drill motor with 10' of 5/16'' cable still sticking out of the drain

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Nothing is stuck . I meant for future reference
        YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

I have always repaired a broken cable with a core splice and jump back in the game.
          So with a short peice of cable sticking out....Drill?
          Angle drill??What to use and not get killed!
          I like the thought in a pinch just to get it spinning and hopefully broke loose if a tech over torqued it and snapped the cable (BANG!! )

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            unless you want to cut the cable short, you will need a k-38/39 with the keyless chuck. this will allow you to load all the excess cable into the drum and grip it close to the drain.

nothing like trying to use a drill motor with 10' of 5/16'' cable still sticking out of the drain

rick.
            I have the K39-AF with the feed on it which has worked well for cleaning drains but maybe I need one with a chuck. When the guy was using the drill to take out the cable, I was using my hands to guide the cable out of the drain while trying to wipe it clean. If I was by myself, I probably would of cut the cable little by little while taking it out with a drill.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Using a drill on a "stuck" 7/8 or comparable sized cable could be good reading in the disaster hall of fame. One of my specialties was pulling broken or stuck cables from our guys or other shops out of sewer lines. I never really got worried if it was a Gorlitz machine as they are so under powered that it did not take much to get it into trouble. A good Gorlitz operator however would know the feel of his machine and be less prone to getting stuck verses the lesser experienced trainees that get pushed into a truck by other employers. If the stuck cable and machine were still at the residence then I would lock up the drive and pull the machine back so that the stuck cable was super tight, then I would turn the drum by hand to add aditional torque to the stuck cable. Finally I would shove a tile probe through the cage to keep the drum from spinning and help keep the stuck machine in place. If I was called out after the stuck cable had been cut off and left hanging out of a cleanout, then I would need some assistance. I made a special pair of vise grip pliers that I had welded extended pieces of metal on to. By extendind the length of the pliers I could have my assistant pull up on the stuck cable as hard as he could and then I would lock it up with the modified vise grips. Using a standard pair of vise grips could potentially allow them to get sucked into the clean out making a bad situation worse. Useing a spear or better yet a small specially bent up leader with a blank end on it I would work the line slowly tearing into the root impacted cutter. We all know that feeling we get when we clear a tough stoppage but watching a stuck cable "JUMP" in a line is even better. Note that you will get wound up on a stuck cable that is loose and floppy in a lineso make sure it is tight.

Comment

where were you when i got stuck right next door to my parents house?

i tried everything for hours and to this day, it's still in the line trouble free.

that was a good 4-5 years ago.

want to come out and meet me there

i'll make you a shake

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Just a thought. i enjoy fabbing up devices as a welder. My drain cleaning experiences is modest. How about a cable locking device with an eye to a cum along. This could be tied off to a tree. No tree, use an earth auger screwed in to the soil to winch off.

http://www.gemplers.com/product//113...30-tree-anchor

About $20 might be usefull !
                  Last edited by toolaholic; 11-23-2008, 01:17 PM.
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Interesting idea but I have seen many guys hook a stuck cable on to their bumper and start pulling. If the cable does not snap, there's a good chance you'll be splitting the riser to the clean out or ripping up a fitting below ground. It's all about finesse when your stuck.

Comment

Working...
                    X