X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The plunger that saved thanksgiving

my last call before thanksgiving was to clear a stopped up kitchen sink drain.

the referral customer was visiting from boston and doesn't own a disposal. so when she decided to dispose of the veggie peelings, she had no idea that you can't stuff it in and turn it on

she managed to plug up just the disposal side and not the strainer side.

the sink drains through a common 2 part waste divertor 1.5'' tee.

i get there to find the plunger in the sink and water standing in the disposal side.

just a straight 1' run to the tee.

grab my vice grips to clamp off the 7/8'' dishwasher air gap hose from the disposal. this allows me to use my "grapefruit" plunger to open the stoppage at the tee and allow the sink to drain.

remove my vice grips, test both sides and the dishwasher and off to install joey's new oven just in time for turkey

knowing how to use the plunger and vice grips is what got me through in seconds and home faster than joey could call and ask when i'm coming home

happy plunging tomorrow

rick.
    phoebe it is

Re: The plunger that saved thanksgiving

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    my last call before thanksgiving was to clear a stopped up kitchen sink drain.

the referral customer was visiting from boston and doesn't own a disposal. so when she decided to dispose of the veggie peelings, she had no idea that you can't stuff it in and turn it on

she managed to plug up just the disposal side and not the strainer side.

the sink drains through a common 2 part waste divertor 1.5'' tee.

i get there to find the plunger in the sink and water standing in the disposal side.

just a straight 1' run to the tee.

grab my vice grips to clamp off the 7/8'' dishwasher air gap hose from the disposal. this allows me to use my "grapefruit" plunger to open the stoppage at the tee and allow the sink to drain.

remove my vice grips, test both sides and the dishwasher and off to install joey's new oven just in time for turkey

knowing how to use the plunger and vice grips is what got me through in seconds and home faster than joey could call and ask when i'm coming home

happy plunging tomorrow

rick.
    HACK!

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Just kidding, you guy have a nice time with your families Thursday and Friday.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

90 day warranty

happy customer

$55. thrilled customer

i guess i could have sold her a c/o and a snaking and ruined her holiday visit

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          Just kidding, you guy have a nice time with your families Thursday and Friday.

Mark
          you know why i'm going early to joey's brother house

to assemble the new turkey oiless fryer

but first need to finish the oven install

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, my last call of the day was similar. The drain-baffle was so packed though that I had to disassemble it to get all the junk out. I also replaced their kitchen sprayer while I was there. Oh no, a sale! They were so thankful that I presented that opportunity to them.
            I charged well more than double what you did, and the couple thanked me profusely for showing up so fast. The wife asked for a handful of business cards and told me that I was now their plumber forever!

Making people happy, and making money in sales go hand in hand.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Disposal stoppages are where I use my plunger a lot. Actually, that is about the only place I use one!

Rick, good luck with your oven install. And have a great Thanksgiving! Fried turkey is amazing, I wish we were doing that this year.
              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I rarely....should say never use a plunger on a sink because those compression ferrules will have a tendency to leak shortly thereafter.

You can effectively clean that piping when removed because what you'll find is a scaling on that disposer arm that's causing the waste matter to hang up most times, along with the baffled tee that has crud buildup over the years.

Taking it apart will send you to the bathtub or outdoor hose faucet to spray it clean or just replace it all to save the effort of cleaning.

Tubular piping under a sink is never designed for pressurizing whatsoever, just gravity type drainage.

Just a slight backup can cause those compression ferrules to leak, let alone vigorous plunging.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Eeeuuuwww!!!! you put that nasty toilet plunger in her kitchen sink?

90 warranty? excellent! you'll be back there before Christmas fixing leaks and trying to unclog the vent that's full of food debris

Obviously, you've never had a trap blow off doing that

Did you check the discharge hose between the clamp and disposer for goop?

The plunger is my last choice...not my first
                  Last edited by plumberscrack; 11-27-2008, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

90 warranty? excellent! you'll be back there before Christmas fixing leaks and trying to unclog the vent that's full of food debris

Excellent...
                    I love GOOD conflict.

He has two hanging on the backdoor of the truck.I don't know if they are both used for cross contamination.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

do you really think i put the toilet plunger in the sink?
                      that's why i carry 2. thanks adam

it didn't leak when i left, why would it start now? there are only 2 slip joint connections that were affected. vent doesn't come into play, air gap was pinched off and disposal and dishwasher was tested prior to leaving
                      plus i schooled the owner and owners sister in the proper use of a disposal

trap was never part of the stoppage. only the branch of the diverter tee and slip joint of the disposal.

stuck my finger in thereand test run the dishwasher and cleaned out the air gap of food from their attempts

i guess i could have bailed out all the water into the other compartment and disconnected the tail piece from the disposal and tee, reached in there and grabbed some veggies and prayed the disposal connection was not rotted

i made the right choice

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Whatever Rick

It's the day before Thanksgiving and you were the hero just by being lazy

I would never second guess your methods. If it works for you and the customer that's all that matters, right?

You need to post a pic of this now famous Grapefruit Plunger

Comment

90 day warranty

happy customer

$55. thrilled customer

i guess i could have sold her a c/o and a snaking and ruined her holiday visit

rick.
                          WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! Didn't you learn anything from your Best friend Leonard Jack. You LOST MONEY! YOU PAID THEM TO DO THE JOB! You said it yourself. Leonard Jack and his company are the "real deal".

No debate here. JC is getting hungry. JC wants to go see friends and family. JC wants turkey & football. Then JC will go to Bourbon Bob's and shoot BB guns.

Happy Thanksgiving!

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! Didn't you learn anything from your Best friend Leonard Jack. You LOST MONEY! YOU PAID THEM TO DO THE JOB! You said it yourself. Leonard Jack and his company are the "real deal".

No debate here. JC is getting hungry. JC wants to go see friends and family. JC wants turkey & football. Then JC will go to Bourbon Bob's and shoot BB guns.

Happy Thanksgiving!

J.C.
                            right and wrong

leonard would have done it for $45, but then crawled under their house with a camera and taken pictures

i did it in minutes and didn't take pictures or had to crawl
                            but i did write a novel about it

truthfully, leonard is the real deal. he does what he preaches

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

right and wrong

leonard would have done it for $45, but then crawled under their house with a camera and taken pictures

i did it in minutes and didn't take pictures or had to crawl
                              but i did write a novel about it

truthfully, leonard is the real deal. he does what he preaches

rick.
                              You don't have to tell me anything. I believe he does EXACTLY WHAT HE PREACHES.

Alot of old people have canceled checks for thou$ands to prove it.

JC needs a biscuit.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X