Sectional Drum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sectional Drum

If there was a drum with an internal design of a labyrinth type layout, it might work.
    YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
      the exact reason i use sectionals. i don't need to get hurt to learn anything. smarter not harder

steve

You got that backwards.

No drain cleaner is going to tell me they can execute clearing a drain from start to finish INCLUDING cleanup in the time a drum machine can task the job.

12 years using sectionals

6 years using drums

I've accomplished more with the drum machines than I've ever with a sectional. After a while you get tired of carrying tires/cages of cables. How many trips to the truck? I can do it in 1.

Customers have asked me before, "Why is your equipment in pieces?" and "I hope you don't plan on using that inside my house"

For a machine that you have to piece together to work, been there done that won't come back. It's part of the reason my shoulders elbows and hands are slowly deteriorating from so much handling of the cable.

Remember folks, drum machines are on wheels. If you can't handle the up and down a few steps, you're in the wrong profession. And, there's stair climbers for that equipment that you can make easy work.

Not all jobs are basement jobs, thank goodness. I smirk when I pull the machine off with my lift gate on the truck, walk it into the garage and bang open the drain from the cleanout, never once carrying it, feeling the weight. Then it's watching the cable and the machine doing all the work.

I've graduated to better; no one will convince me otherwise.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

if it works for you then more power to you.

as far as how fast.. it's the quality of the work not the speed involved.

to quote you, "I've graduated to better; no one will convince me otherwise." then your mind is made up and again more power to you.

so it takes me a few minutes more to hook/unhook my sectionals. BFD. it works for me. more power ro me.

just my $.02 before taxes

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

i've never given a drain job away that i couldn't get open.

but i've done plenty of drain jobs for lots of other plumbers/ drain guys that couldn't get it with their drums.

i have lots of invoices to prove it

and i'm not talking from 1 company, but several co's that sub me out. not to mention the dozens and dozens that i've done that others have failed.

when it can't be done, i do it. i do it with my sectionals

once again a sectional will do everything a drum will do.

but a drum can't do 1/2 of what a sectional can do.

don't believe me?

ask fred ponds ceo of the ridge tool co

top that endorsement drummers

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            i've never given a drain job away that i couldn't get open.

but i've done plenty of drain jobs for lots of other plumbers/ drain guys that couldn't get it with their drums.

i have lots of invoices to prove it

and i'm not talking from 1 company, but several co's that sub me out. not to mention the dozens and dozens that i've done that others have failed.

when it can't be done, i do it. i do it with my sectionals

once again a sectional will do everything a drum will do.

but a drum can't do 1/2 of what a sectional can do.

don't believe me?

rick.
            Would you have not gotten the jobs done the others failed at with your drum machine?

J.C.

Comment

[quote=PLUMBER RICK;

rick.[/quote]

You're getting paid to say that........and..........

You've mentioned the phrase "K-60" 1,335,492 times on this site, which borderlines unhealthy obsession UNLESS, you're getting paid to mention it.

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
                if it works for you then more power to you.

as far as how fast.. it's the quality of the work not the speed involved.

to quote you, "I've graduated to better; no one will convince me otherwise." then your mind is made up and again more power to you.

so it takes me a few minutes more to hook/unhook my sectionals. BFD. it works for me. more power ro me.

just my $.02 before taxes

steve

Yes, 12 years of dragging those cables, the baskets, the constant taking the gloves off and on to put the cables together, the constant cutting hair off the cables, the constant hosing the cables off outside the drain, the horrible smell of the cable because it can grab everything in an open wind, the constant having to watch the cable on the back side so it doesn't wrap something important up in it, the hit roots well give me 15 minutes so I clean the cable and do it again trick, the I need more cables out at the truck since the clog is at 90 feet, the

"I gotta pull all this ****ing cable back out because the machine won't do it, and I have to break those 15' sections back down and load those cages back up, one by one....

and less we not forget, "I gotta lay tarps everywhere because these cables are going to be horrible when I pull them out of this ****-ladened sewer. Eewww-yuck!

I'm getting tired of seeing these clean cable pictures on here when I know god damn well that there's 40 nasty drains to every one clear water backup.

and you run water and it clogs up again? Grab all those cables and slowly section them together and do it again, but the clog is a long ways away and the machine doesn't have a round handle that you can just push 2" and let it feed itself all the way out, all the way back.

I come up to the roundup next year, that board is getting moved out to 32 feet, not 40". I want to see the effectiveness of a machine without the torque bundled an arm's throw from the equipment.
                Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 11-28-2008, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  Would you have not gotten the jobs done the others failed at with your drum machine?

J.C.
                  some yes and some no.

the sectional has the advantage to go where drums can't go.

plus a 3/4'' innercore drum cable is no match for a 1.25'' innercore sectional cable.

how do i know

because before i retired my drums, i carried the sectional in the truck with the drums.

if the drum couldn't get it, the sectional did.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                    You're getting paid to say that........and..........

You've mentioned the phrase "K-60" 1,335,492 times on this site, which borderlines unhealthy obsession UNLESS, you're getting paid to mention it.

if i was, i'd be a rich man, not having to work

i love to work

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      if i was, i'd be a rich man, not having to work

i love to work

rick.

So do I, but I walk with a limp, and live to see the next drain, the next clog, the next fresh ink on the paycheck.

Comment

I come up to the roundup next year, that board is getting moved out to 32 feet, not 40". I want to see the effectiveness of a machine without the torque bundled an arm's throw from the equipment.

dunbar, not sure how much money you feel like losing

but i will bet as much as you feel like loosing, that the sectional will cut that board before your drum will.

i know that everyone at the first roundup will be glad to take your money.

not everyone was a sectional guy either.

save your money up since that week off with joey cost me a fortune. i would love it if you end up sponsoring my week off

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Noooo rick.

I'm not talking about speed, I'm talking about changing the way the game is played.

Let's move the board to 32' and let's see how well the ridgid drum works against the sectional in the way it binds down and digs. That's all we are looking for in these matters.

Root ripping power. That's what's in the drain.

I didn't mention my equipment because I know Ridgid makes a drum machine very comparable to the Spartan, and I'd like to be able to at least not get shot at while I'm there.

When's the last time you found a board completely perpendicular to the pipe rick?

How about randomly sized wood dowels drilled at all angles throughout a 10' section of pipe where the attachment has to grab it, stops the blade and relies on the force of the machine to tackle the obstruction from afar?

That's where that wind up torque without the scare tactics really takes on the meaning of effective clearing of an obstruction.

I've managed with both and remember when I said that when I released the forward gear on the sectional.....and the cable would furiously vibrate the tension back? That's a hard obstruction that it wouldn't pass through because if I went any harder with it, it's going to jump back out of the drain the moment you don't two hand that cable to control the momentum.

I've walked this path, I know where it leads. I wouldn't make this up because they were trying times I didn't appreciate.

Comment

I've always said it is important to have both types of machines on the truck as they both have their advantages. However, my go-to machines for the really tough drains is always a sectional.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

let me re-quote you what you just stated for the next roundup.

your words, not mine.

save your pennies, 1 week at the roundup and lost wages doesn't come cheap.

so you up for it? or changing the original offer

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

That's it, I'm printing this thread.

And before you try to twist my words back at me,

When was the last time you've found a board in the drain, perpendicular and a brand new board at that.......?

Hello?

Hello anyone here?

Heeeeeeeeloooooooooooo????

You don't like my random dowel idea......put in the pipe just like a root intrusion, except harder and more realistic to what's commonly found in the drain?

When we did the spartan game for training, they'd drill the pipe and put all different sized dowels and when the machine would torque down on that cable and deliver its strength to the attachment, it sounded like an explosion when the dowels broke, scaring the crap out of the sectional guys because they had never heard that before.Name:  12aeca9e0dd8b6d254cafa28bd9f99e1.gif
Views: 1
Size:  7.8 KB
                                Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 11-28-2008, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X