X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sectional Drum

My understanding of why Ridgid used the K-1500 with a block of wood was to showcase the awesome power of the machine not because you would ever run into one in the drain. They did however, use wooden dowels when they demo'd the Jetter as they were trying to replicate a root.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I use my sectional cart and it goes well for me. Everything goes in 1 trip. The cart is also used to load water heaters as well. I think of a sectional like a dremel, high speed, low torque to cut. It floats my boat.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        My understanding of why Ridgid used the K-1500 with a block of wood was to showcase the awesome power of the machine not because you would ever run into one in the drain. They did however, use wooden dowels when they demo'd the Jetter as they were trying to replicate a root.

Mark
        We don't hear enough about the K-1500 here. Is there anyone out there who uses a K-1500 on a frequent basis? I never see any threads about it. I have never used one, but it sure looks like an amazing root-cutting machine.
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Wow! The sectional vs. drum debate is one that will live forever. Starting a business soon, I hope to have both. In my limited experience, I ran into a few older drains that really needed to be done from the roof. From below, I just couldn't get a cable to turn down the T instead of heading up a vent. The company I worked for didn't want us on rooves as a policy, and I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to get a drum up on a roof. Guy I worked with had a K60. Perfect for the roof! I gotta say it does make sense to have a drum inside a customers home. It's bad enough when that filthy cable is coming back and going into a drum. That said, I've heard of many success stories with the K60 in particular. I realize that this is a Ridgid forum, and that Rick loves the K60, but does anyone here have strong opinions about Ridgids drums vs. Spartan, General, or even Gorlitz? Company I worked for had some old beat up Generals. That 7500 does look sweet for sewers..

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
            We don't hear enough about the K-1500 here. Is there anyone out there who uses a K-1500 on a frequent basis? I never see any threads about it. I have never used one, but it sure looks like an amazing root-cutting machine.
            I use to use my K-500 and KM-1500 on stuff everyone else had to walk on. My best was when a subdivision was flooding due to a 20" culvert pipe which was packed solid with mud and sand from a mud slide. The line was about 300' long and without it the water was going through the homes instead of around them. Another company had been there all day and the PM company called me at closing. It took several hours with the KM -1500 and a fire hose connected to a fire hydrant but we got it. From there we went to another sub division where the same company had the same problem in a smaller line and we cleared that one as well.

The PM took forever to pay us and didn't call back until the following year when the same thing happened and their "regular" company couldn't get it again. I told the PM thanks but no thanks and suggested he hire a backhoe to help his plumber.

I've also used the 1.25 machines for concrete removal at the studios and stuff like that.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
              Carl,

For 10 years, the K1500 was all I used on main stoppages. We have both the upright and laid down version. I prefer the upright.

TBO, I hated it but if you want a Root Gobbler this is it. Due to the infrequency of main line backups she had to stay back at the shop. 3 cages of 1-1/4" cable, the machine, toolbox and guide tube was just too much room to give up on the truck. I rarely encounter roots that AllClear and Rick seem to find. Most mainline backups are soft stoppages easily cleared now with a K60 through a 3" floor drain.

With the 1500 you have to pull a toilet. It's been so long since I've seen a cleanout here I almost forgot what they look like.

I got the 1500 stuck once on a root mass that was impossible to dig up. So I hooked the second machine in tandom to break through. Try that with any drum machine

Comment

I carry both a 7500 and a 1500 in my van if it is roots I'll use the 7500. for mush most times I just put a few 1 1/4" cables on the front of my 3/4" 7500 cable and use this to auger out the mush. I can get the cable down and back faster with the 1500 but I use the 7500 more because of ease of use. Yes I am the one around here every plumber calls after they cant get it open with there sec. cable machines or there drum machines. I find that it is a lack of experience more then the lack of machine is the reason that they can not get it open. They only get a machine to get the job of replacing the line since all I do is clean lines they know if I say it needs replacing that I'm not trying to rip them off because I would just lose money but I would lose just as much if it stopped up ever few months and I told them it didn't need replacing. What the argument seems to me to be is we are all drilling in deferent areas. I deal with roots and tide laundry soap about 50/50 that's the reason I carry a drum and a sec. in some places I can see where someone would prefer one over the other in sand a small jetter might be all you need. I cant take sides I need them both I carry 3 drums and 3 sec. with me all the time along with a jetter and 12 deferent sizes of cable.Some of the stuff I carry my dad had and is older then me. I may only need it every five years but when I need it I got to have it. I guess its the same with the drum or the sec. machine if you need one or the other you got to have it.

Comment

I've also used the 1.25 machines for concrete removal at the studios and stuff like that.
                  What attachments were you using?
                  Kenneth Collier
                  Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
                  Jackson, MS 39206
                  (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
                  drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                    Carl,

For 10 years, the K1500 was all I used on main stoppages. We have both the upright and laid down version. I prefer the upright.

TBO, I hated it but if you want a Root Gobbler this is it. Due to the infrequency of main line backups she had to stay back at the shop. 3 cages of 1-1/4" cable, the machine, toolbox and guide tube was just too much room to give up on the truck. I rarely encounter roots that AllClear and Rick seem to find. Most mainline backups are soft stoppages easily cleared now with a K60 through a 3" floor drain.

With the 1500 you have to pull a toilet. It's been so long since I've seen a cleanout here I almost forgot what they look like.

I got the 1500 stuck once on a root mass that was impossible to dig up. So I hooked the second machine in tandom to break through. Try that with any drum machine
                    Two machines in series,beats the dickens,out of two pipe wrenches,sweating and profanity(?) Were you operating both clutches youself or did you have help? I am glad you posted this tip.Thanks.
                    Kenneth Collier
                    Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
                    Jackson, MS 39206
                    (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
                    drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by drainman881999 View Post
                      What attachments were you using?
                      A little bit of everything but mostly a 4-blade cutter and a chain-knocker.

Mark

Comment

Thanks Mark.
                        Kenneth Collier
                        Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
                        Jackson, MS 39206
                        (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
                        drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by drainman881999 View Post
                          Two machines in series,beats the dickens,out of two pipe wrenches,sweating and profanity(?) Were you operating both clutches youself or did you have help? I am glad you posted this tip.Thanks.
                          Actually I was scared to death of what might happen

The first machine was binding up but wasn't completely stuck. I had a second operator on the other machine and we were certain that it would snap the cable. I even wore a helmet just in case.

I'm sure this goes against every drain machine safety guide but it worked

When you are desperate, you're mind will conjure up all kinds of fantastic ideas

Kids, don't try this at home

Comment

Thanks Plumberscrack,I might try this one day just for the heck of it.IT WILL be at one of my houses,before trying at a customers.
                            Kenneth Collier
                            Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
                            Jackson, MS 39206
                            (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
                            drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Mike and Bill told me that they did the same thing on a real long run running 2 1500's in tandem. Maybe if they stopped working so much and came on the forum they could elaborate. Whatever happened to priorities?
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

We once had a Quadra-Plex drum machine with 500' of 3/4 on it. When I hit the stoppage there was no power left because of the weight and friction of the cable. I backed out of the stoppage and took a running start this time spinning the drum by hand and got the stoppage.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X