X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unwound cable?

Has anyone ever unwound there stuck cable by running too long in reverse?

Pictures?

J.C.

Re: Unwound cable?

Yesterday I managed to send a 7/8" open wind cable the wrong way up an exterior cleanout (back into the house) I only went 6-8' in when it did not feel right....

I looked at the way the cable was going into the cleanout and figuered out what I had done...

I went to pull back and she would not budge...

Not sure how to explain this but by the feel of the cable my instinct was that I had threaded into something so I decided to reverse and see what would happen sure enough I had threaded the cable onto something or there was a lip or corner of some kind... It would only come out in reverse so I had to "unscrew" to retrieve the cable.

I'm sure this happens with all cables but alot more common on open wind due to it's design.

Once a cable starts flipping or turns back on itself it would only be luck that reverse would do anything for you IMO.

Okie

Comment

actually my secret weapon cable/ leader has to be run in reverse to grab.

never had an issue

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        actually my secret weapon cable/ leader has to be run in reverse to grab.

never had an issue

rick.
        Why would you need a reverse auger grabber? I mean what situations would that be the right thing to use to get the job done properly or gain an advantage?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

i've posted many times that the original auger cutter has a weak point in the connection to the coupler. broke off 4 in 1 day

the auger i use now is a 12' section of 7/8'' cable that i heated the end, and bent it out. oil cooled it, sharpened the hook and it's the best auger i have.

plus i can bend a 45 in the cable end to clean from 2'' - 4'' with that bend.

when the sawtooth/ spiral saw can't get it, the reverse auger will.

the cable has to be run in reverse direction to grab. never had an issue

i also have a 2' section with the other coupling end. still needs to be run in reverse.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            Has anyone ever unwound there stuck cable by running too long in reverse?

Pictures?

J.C.
            Yes I have and many times when I couldn`t clear a sewer with the cable in forward I put it in reverse and it cleared it uesing a funnel auger or sharktooth cutter.

Tony

Comment

I think some are misunderstanding my original question. It's stated in manuals to NEVER run the cable in reverse except to get it unstuck. Just for a few seconds.

They make it seem that going with the wind of the cable you could unwind it and have an unwound bunch of metal.

Has anyone ever unwound their cable?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

You will bend the cable in reverse but not unwind it. Actually I think the danger of running in reverse for long periods is that it will chinese handcuff you, meaning it will coil up in the drain and the more you pull the harder it will be stuck. But truth be told I have had some drains that I only could get cleared by running in reverse but I am very careful when I do it.
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

honestly, i think the bigger issue is with drum machines.

running in reverse with a cable that is caught will cause the cable in the drum to start to coil in the drum.

normally the cable is hugging the outer walls of the drum. reverse will cause it to ball up and ride the inner circle of the drum.

too long and it gets twisted inside the drum.

i too run my sectional in reverse many times.

like afm stated, i use the spiral root saw. in forward it cuts, and reverse it grabs with the open hook. best of both worlds.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

I used an eel for about 30 years you run it in forward to go in and reverse to get it out. I never unwound one but if you had big roots on it would turn the ball of roots the other way and wedged you in, by taking it out the same way you put it in the root mass stays small and wont wedge you in.But if you run a drum in reverse to long the cable will twist in the drum and can flip in the drum.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      i've posted many times that the original auger cutter has a weak point in the connection to the coupler. broke off 4 in 1 day

the auger i use now is a 12' section of 7/8'' cable that i heated the end, and bent it out. oil cooled it, sharpened the hook and it's the best auger i have.

plus i can bend a 45 in the cable end to clean from 2'' - 4'' with that bend.

when the sawtooth/ spiral saw can't get it, the reverse auger will.

the cable has to be run in reverse direction to grab. never had an issue

i also have a 2' section with the other coupling end. still needs to be run in reverse.

rick.
                      Patent your secret weapon and then show us pics
                      YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by HouseOfAtlas View Post
                        Patent your secret weapon and then show us pics
                        nothing to patent

there have been many pictures posted with my k-60 and its cutters.

i think ben might be trying this now

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

I did make 2-3' Rick augers but I never run into roots like Rick and Steve where I would need this. I have my own g-17 cutter that cut through hedges very quickly but I haven't gotten a real good chance to test the waters yet on heavy roots.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                          X