X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen drains - Which machine?

What machines do you guys like to use on kitchen drains?

Rick has convinced me to buy 5/8" cable for the K60 for smaller drains.

There have been many kitchen drains where my 3/8" IC cable had a tough time going down the drain (PVC or ABS drain) and even a harder time coming back up. Maybe it was bad plumbing and long sweep 90s weren't used but either way, it was a chore and it wasn't due to a bad blockage.

The K39 seems to work well, but I don't know if it actually does a GREAT job of cleaning the drain. It has cleared blockages, but I have yet to hit a drain that is packed solid with spaghetti or potatoes. Combine that situation with bad plumbing and you are going to have a fun time.

Something about using the K60 (or the k50) with 5/8" cable and a 1" 4 blade cutter just sounds right

EDIT: I would hate for this to turn into a drum vs. sectional debate, but just curious on what machine you like and if there is a reason why, let us know
    Last edited by HouseOfAtlas; 11-28-2008, 12:38 PM.
    YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Re: Kitchen drains - Which machine?

My favorite for a kitchen is the K-50 with 5/8" cable.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Spartan 81 with 1/4" open hook 35' or 50' with the end bent.

It corkscrews down most basket strainers, I can fill both sides of the sink to use the water as both a gauge and hydropressure to remove the obstruction.

The water backup lets you know where that clog is, and you can pull that cable back and forth in that area till you pop the clog.

Once it's open, hot water follow-up with Dawn dish detergent, the concentrated blue stuff that's used for major spills on expressways and the like. This cleans the cable before you even pull it back into the drum. Yaaaaaaay!

Notice, I never mentioned a plunger. A sink full of wastewater or chemicals in the line is a horrible situation when tubular piping connections break free from doing something it was never intended for.

Can't go top down on center outlet wastes or specific strainers.

Mytana sells a powerfeed for my 81 but it's going to make that assembly heavy...I need to go to the drawing board to figure out a plan.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I had almost forgot you can also run 5/16" or 3/8" with a K-50 if you want to use the canisters. The K-50 has always been one of my favorite all-round machines.

Mark

Comment

K-50 with 5/8s is my 1st choice. the 3/8s drum is a possibility even though it doesn't seem to have the oomph of the 5/8 sectional. i've used my K-39 where i couldn't make the turns (5/8) in a sink with good luck. read: 85% of the time.

each job has it's own issues and solutions

steve
          In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

So far I'm having great luck with 3/8s non innercore . I get it through medium sweep 90's with no trouble. It is ruff going through galvanized 90s but with a small single blade I can usually get through them. I do have to put a small bend in the end of the cable to help around fittings. I have used a K50 twice on galvanized and that was a pain maybe harder then the 3/8s, but I bet it would be great on pvc. Some time I should take a picture of my sink machine. I bet I'm running the biggest machine for 1.5 pipe than anybody. It just saves room on the van that way

Comment

K39AF. General Wire I95 with 5/8".

J.C.

Comment

K-380 with 3/8" IC cable. The auto-feed is awesome, it makes it much easier to maneuver tight bends. I cleaned 50 feet of 1.5" galvanized tonight with tight bends, it was hard to get past the first tee, but after that it wasn't too bad because of the auto-feed.

If I didn't have the auto-feed, it would be way too much back-breaking work to try and force the 3/8" innercore cable down a tight 1.5" galvanized line. I cleared the line with only one pass, in all drains I like to use as big a cable and cutting-head as possible, so it scours the pipe better.
                Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  K39AF. General Wire I95 with 5/8".

J.C.
                  very similar to the k-60. i also have a general route 66. a little stronger than the i95.

remember that a kitchen sink is the nastiest drain in the entire house to clean properly.

a jetter is the best choice if you have an outside c/o. without a c/o the jetter will back wash until it clear the line.

the open wind of a sectional will create a continuous corkscrew affect on the pipe and gunk.

running a 1/4''/ 5/16'' cable through a basket strainer is not cleaning the drain

it's clearing the stoppage. cleaning requires cutters that move and break the stoppage.

it's common sense

i hope we all know that.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    very similar to the k-60. i also have a general route 66. a little stronger than the i95.

remember that a kitchen sink is the nastiest drain in the entire house to clean properly.

a jetter is the best choice if you have an outside c/o. without a c/o the jetter will back wash until it clear the line.

the open wind of a sectional will create a continuous corkscrew affect on the pipe and gunk.

running a 1/4''/ 5/16'' cable through a basket strainer is not cleaning the drain

it's clearing the stoppage. cleaning requires cutters that move and break the stoppage.

it's common sense

i hope we all know that.

rick.
                    How much cleaning do you find a grapefruit plunger will do?

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

Mark

Give him hell mark!
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

Mark
                        i was waiting for someone to ask that question

i just figured it would have been someone else.

i'll give you an example, not that you need it but for the ones that do

next time you're at dinner and someone is choking on their food

do you perform the heimlick? and pop that wad of food back out

or do you grab the steak knife and dig out that piece of steak that didn't go down

remember that the plunger is used when the diverter tee is plugged due to misuse of the disposal by the homeowner.

simple problem with simple solutions

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

I think cleaning/clearing is all relative to the stoppage at hand. Many times a kitchen clog is caused by ground up food and not grease. In this case, a 5/16 IC cable works great. If the lined was packed with grease, then my choice would be a 5/8 sectional cable w/ a4 bladed cutter.

A jetter is the only way to truly clean a line but there is some diminshing return. I can buy a k50 with everything for 500. A jetter to do the same pipe will cost between 900-1200. Does the jetter work twice as well? Does the pipe truely get 50% cleaner with a jetter than a sectional? A sectional will clean a grease clogged line pretty darn well and more than well enough to give a guarantee(within reason).
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            i was waiting for someone to ask that question

i just figured it would have been someone else.

i'll give you an example, not that you need it but for the ones that do

next time you're at dinner and someone is choking on their food

do you perform the heimlick? and pop that wad of food back out

or do you grab the steak knife and dig out that piece of steak that didn't go down

remember that the plunger is used when the diverter tee is plugged due to misuse of the disposal by the homeowner.

simple problem with simple solutions

rick.
                            Actually that is a great example to have used. When I was spending a lot of time out on the Alaskan Tundra I took a bunch of "Wilderness Medical" classes. This one guest speaker kept telling us how to do emergency treatment which required opening the body cavity. The owner of the class was having fits and kept asking him not to teach us that advance training. The doctor kept saying if it was going to be 10-days until the plane came back our partner would surely be dead. I always regretted never using all of that training I had. Hence the short answer is heck yeah I would go for the steak knife without a thought.

Mark

Comment

mark, funny as i took a similar class too

when the heimlich doesn't work, out comes the swiss army knife

remind me not to choke in your presence

chances are it's just the cherry and not the shake

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X