Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Drain Cleaning Class?

Hey Guys!

We are looking at offering classes like you mentioned above. What topics would you find most valuable?

Drain Cleaning
    Locating
    Camera Inspection
    Jetting
    All of the Above

Thanks for your feedback
    Renee

Product Manager

RIDGID Drain Cleaning

Re: Drain/Sewer Cleaning Class 101

Originally posted by Renee View Post
    Hey Guys!

We are looking at offering classes like you mentioned above. What topics would you find most valuable?

Drain Cleaning
    Locating
    Camera Inspection
    Jetting
    All of the Above

Thanks for your feedback
    I am very encouraged to read this. I believe the answer should be all of the above. Is this something that would be held at the factory? It seems the school house and the grass area next to the school house would be a perfect place to set up some real world scenarios.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I agree with Mark, all of the above is a great idea Renee. If I worked for Ridgid, this would be an area where I would want to participate for sure.

This will improve our trade and keep people safe on the job. I hope the training will include all the small tips and tricks that are so important when cleaning and inspecting drains. Also repair and maintenance techniques as would be important.

Many of those tips and tricks are posted all over this forum. To make all that a curriculum would be amazing.

Hands on is the best way to learn this stuff.
      www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Originally posted by jrsaltz View Post
        I know Spartan used to do this years ago but if I know Spartan, it was to further promote their products as well.

Yes. It was intentional for sales I'm sure. I believe it cost my boss $400 at the time for me to spend a friday watching sectional guys shaking their heads and jumping from the dowel rod explosions.

And to knock a drum product for a second,

I STILL don't know how you can effectively use one of those power vee's, the drum canister attached to a drill to effectively clear a drain without having some serious upper body strength, going any type of distance.

I literally need a 3rd hand to be the carrier so I can two hand the cable, direct it down the drain. I don't see the logic in that machine but of course they have power fed models now. Still, it hits an obstruction it's going to push it back while the other hand is pushing in.

Who are you teaching on this site? $500.00 is a good deal for that amount of time....are you taking them on calls? Little shop time?

Make sure you teach them how to locate and pinpoint access points when clearning drains. I catch myself to this day getting lazy at times trying to hit the clog from an easier access point following where the clog is, just from a farther distance because of a fixture removal or a access point that might lead into turmoil.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by Renee View Post
          Hey Guys!

Drain Cleaning
          Locating
          Camera Inspection
          Jetting
          All of the Above

Thanks for your feedback
          All of the above. You can never learn too much.
          Camera inspection should include camera repairs/diagnostics that can be done in house rather then sending out. Maybe even retermenating.

Health Hazards in drain cleaning. Recommended shots etc..
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Re: Ridgid Drain Cleaning Class?

Fantastic Idea!!!

All of the above

What would be the chances of scheduling an all of the above school session in conjunction with the next Ridgid Round-up

I want to go and this would push me into a plumbing frenzy!!!

Would be an easier sell to my loving wife as well

Okie

Comment

All of the above of course but I'd like to focus on the locating and jetting aspect of it. This where I have the least expierience.

Maybe some more hands-on stuff than just demonstrations with the jetters that we had at the Roundup. I'd like to see how well these electric jetters perform on 1-1/2" and 2" lines.

Plus, using a high pressure hose to blast stuff is just so much damn fun

Comment

All of the above! In conjunction with phcc trade show on west coast??

wookie

Comment

I'm hoping this year they will not be scheduled the same week or I will have to miss another PHCC-GLAA Show.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

you know i would never miss an opportunity to get my hands dirty

the roundup would be a great opportunity to revisit the factory

you know we just need an excuse to come back

i'll teach k-60, 101

dunbar and allclear don't be late or i'll make you stay after class and make me a milkshake

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Rick shouldn't teach the K-60, because he doesn't use the rear guide-hose. We don't want him spreading his unsafe habits.
                      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I agree with Rick that the roundup should be given the beta class. After all, who would be a better test subject than us. As far as what to teach, the book "professional sewer and drain cleaner handbook" should be a good outline to follow.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

The only knock I see is that some of the people attending would be the most qualified to teach.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                            Rick shouldn't teach the K-60, because he doesn't use the rear guide-hose. We don't want him spreading his unsafe habits.
                            This is where the term "simulated" will be widely used. "I'm showing my favorite machine, the impressionator, we're going to simulate the rear guide hose for this demonstration. It's off right now to show the cable spinning at a high rpm, much higher than a drum machine which is why it's better than a drum machine........(tangent continues)."
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I am just bustin' chops Rick! You'd be a great K-60 instructor.
                              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Working...
                              X