What else do you use your camera for.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What else do you use your camera for.

We did a chimney inspection today. The homeowner had been told by a chimney cleaning company they needed to have a liner installed for 25000. It did not sit well with her so she called a mason who called us to do an inspection. It was 48 feet from grade to the top of the chimney so we used a bucket truck for safe access. All three of the flues look great and after review with the mason it was determined that the liner was not needed. Just another way to make a dollar.
    Attached Files

Re: What else do you use your camera for.

Time for the homeowners to be making a "ripoff" report for the chimney-lining company. That is just thievery what they tried to do. That would be like me cleaning a soft stoppage out of a schedule 40 pvc sewerline without serious problems and telling the homeowner they need a new sewer.

Nice how you found a new niche $$$ Highland! Good work!
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandS&D View Post
      We did a chimney inspection today. The homeowner had been told by a chimney cleaning company they needed to have a liner installed for 25000. It did not sit well with her so she called a mason who called us to do an inspection. It was 48 feet from grade to the top of the chimney so we used a bucket truck for safe access. All three of the flues look great and after review with the mason it was determined that the liner was not needed. Just another way to make a dollar.
      Nice, Now thats a purple cow right there

Excellent, yea , many masons try to replace the liners all day long......

Comment

I don't know if anyone recalls but a while back I was doing some inspections of 4" TW conduit for an Electrical Expert.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          I don't know if anyone recalls but a while back I was doing some inspections of 4" TW conduit for an Electrical Expert.

Mark

That's another good idea.

There is so many things you can do with that camera

Did you have a post?

Comment

Smart Home Owner.............

They should now send the bill to the Chimney Lining Company and expect a written apology, for their bogus inspection.

$25,000.00 for a new liner, that sure seems to be a high priced job. But maybe not in your area....

Now the question is, why was that company there to begin with. Why would the HO give a Chimney Liner Company a jingle, was water getting into the home or maybe some smoke????

Or we're they hired to clean the chimney out, for their yearly cleaning?
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
              Smart Home Owner.............

They should now send the bill to the Chimney Lining Company and expect a written apology, for their bogus inspection.

$25,000.00 for a new liner, that sure seems to be a high priced job. But maybe not in your area....

Now the question is, why was that company there to begin with. Why would the HO give a Chimney Liner Company a jingle, was water getting into the home or maybe some smoke????

Or we're they hired to clean the chimney out, for their yearly cleaning?
              The chimney company was called out because they were getting water when it rained in a second floor fire place. The chimney co told them its to cold to do a masonary repair so it need to be lined. Sounds like a scam to me being it needed nothing. We have had a big problem in our area with chimney co scams from stuffing rags in the flue to unneeded masonary work. I am not saying all chimney Companies are bad, I know there are reputable companies out there. There are no chimney caps which is why the water was getting into the flue.

Comment

Thats kind of what I figured, but the do/can make metal chimney caps. I'm sure most of us know this and at least the HO was smart enough to make a phone call or 2, elsewhere....
                Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
                  That's another good idea.

There is so many things you can do with that camera

Did you have a post?

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...hlight=conduit

It went off topic but it still was a fun Thread. The late plumbdog was involved in the Thread and I always enjoy reading his old posts.

Mark

Comment

What else do I use my camera for ?

checking the sofa for loose change

Comment

Originally posted by stokefire7 View Post
                      What else do I use my camera for ?

checking the sofa for loose change
                      That's a good idea. I am always losing my remotes in the Sofa; if I get the Micro Seesnake I want for Christmas, I can check there without having to move the sofa.

Comment

We have on a regular basis used the camera to identify and locate bad spots in underground electric, cable and telephone conduits. After the installation they are damaged by another contractor working on site and not realized until they go to pull the wire. Its no different than a pipe inspection, just another reason to solicit electrical contractors.

Comment

I've seen on the news where a plumbers used to get a camera to get a cat out of a drain and bridge/pier inspectors were using the camera to inspect pilings.
                          Last edited by gear junkie; 12-09-2008, 01:20 AM. Reason: to make sense for others
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I believe someone posted a link earlier this year where they used a SeeSnake to rescue puppies under a modular building.

Mark

Comment

I've used it to check solder joints to make sure they've wrapped around properly.

I currently don't know where my camera is right now at the present moment.
                              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                              X