X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3/8" IC Ridgid cable coupler snapped.

This 3/8" innercore Ridgid cable-end is only 3 months old, I found the welding came apart where the front-end of the cable joins the snap-coupler. I don't know why this happened, is it fixable, will I need a welder to fix it properly? Why did this happen? Defective?

Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Re: 3/8" IC Ridgid cable coupler snapped.

Too bad you can't just cut it off and screw a new cable end in. Then again I don't use inner-core or ridgid cable so I'm of no help.

Comment

Maybe because your an Animal

I read your threads you mad man you ---

J/K ...maybe its defective , should not have busted that fast....

Percentage Error?

Comment

The rest of the cable is completely fine. Just the very tip where the cutting heads snap-on broke off. I HATE TO REPLACE A 75' CABLE THAT IS ONLY 3 MONTHS OLD, JUST BECAUSE 1 INCH OF IT BROKE OFF!!! There must be a way I can get a new end for it, but I am having trouble finding the part number.

Comment

Looks like not enough penetration in the weld to me. I would try for a replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
            The rest of the cable is completely fine. Just the very tip where the cutting heads snap-on broke off. I HATE TO REPLACE A 75' CABLE THAT IS ONLY 3 MONTHS OLD, JUST BECAUSE 1 INCH OF IT BROKE OFF!!! There must be a way I can get a new end for it, but I am having trouble finding the part number.

Warranty or replacement....That has to be a defect.....

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandS&D View Post
              Looks like not enough penetration in the weld to me. I would try for a replacement.
              Looks that way to me too.

Comment

Possibly ran through acid downstream that you were unaware of and didn't get rinsed thoroughly?

Comment

I did run it through some draino last week. But I rinsed the heck out of it immediately afterward in the customer's driveway. There is almost no rusting spots anywhere on the cable.
                  It must be the drain-o. I should start charging the entire cost of a cable on any call where there are chemicals used.

Comment

Originally posted by Twicepipes View Post
                    Possibly ran through acid downstream that you were unaware of and didn't get rinsed thoroughly?

Acid.......wow , that would be some serious acid to melt the tip off

Is that even possible Carl?

I would not think so, To me it looks like a simple "percentage error" and thats the way it works in production, you will always have a percentage error, and today your # came up.

I have not bought a machine like that myself , but I am sure if you file a warranty / replacement claim you are going to be fine, I mean Ridgid is not who they are because they suck, they are who they are because they stand behind there tools.

Now if that was a "harbor freight" machine, I would say your screwed, but being that the machine is made by Ridgid your in good hands I would say.

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                    I did run it through some draino last week. But I rinsed the heck out of it immediately afterward in the customer's driveway. There is almost no rusting spots anywhere on the cable.
                    It must be the drain-o. I should start charging the entire cost of a cable on any call where there are chemicals used.
                    With this theory , you are saying that a brass trip lever is tougher then a Ridgid cable?

Liquid plumber tells you to have the stuff SIT in the trip lever for 30 minutes............come on ......I don't think "running it through"

In fact here is a TRUE story.

I used to be a pump mechanic for a shop that pulled ejector pumps for NYU in Manhattan.

I have SEEN chemical pits that had acid in them because they would eat the crap out of the brass shaft sleeves but that would take MONTHs and that was a pit with super high acidity.

And like I said that liquid plumber stuff sits in brass traps / trip levers all the time.........

Maybe I am completely wrong....but those are my thoughts
                    Last edited by PlumbingSkool; 12-05-2008, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Usually when it's acid (drano) the cable gets tiny little white specks or pits.
                      If those are not there then it was a bad weld. Get it replaced if local supplier.
                      On inner core repairs you order a sleeve end and weld it on. Or drill out the inner cable and use a cork screw type repair end.
                      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
                        Acid.......wow , that would be some serious acid to melt the tip off
                        I'm not saying it actually melted off. That's just dumb.
                        Anyone that's been around cable that's been passed through sulfuric acid, knows how brittle it can become if not rinsed immediately with HOT water while spinning in the drain. It gets in between the coils and sits. That where it usually snaps.
                        Any thin, flat spots or an already worn cable are especially susceptible.
                        In my experience, It's almost ALWAYS the first couple of inches that snaps off. Presumably because of the constant bending and twisting that this area is subjected to. Maybe that's the case here, maybe not.
                        Last edited by Twicepipes; 12-05-2008, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Twicepipes View Post
                          I'm not saying it actually melted off. That's just dumb.
                          Anyone that's been around cable that's been passed through sulfuric acid, knows how brittle it can become if not rinsed immediately with HOT water while spinning in the drain. It gets in between the coils and sits. That where it usually snaps.
                          Any thin, flat spots or an already worn cable are especially susceptible.
                          In my experience, It's almost ALWAYS the first couple of inches that snaps off. Presumably because of the constant bending and twisting that this area is subjected to. Maybe that's the case here, maybe not.
                          I understood what you meant,

I was just surprised that any acid could melt a cable, thats all

Comment

BTW, whatever you do, be sure to cut off another 6". You don't want it to break again after only 2 or 3 jobs.

Comment

There looks like there was no penetration in weld I never seen this sloppy of weld on factory cable, looks like welder was set to low if welder was to high cable would have broke away from weld but after 3 months they might balk at replacement the seller might go for a fix but unless you bought it locally it would cost more to ship. I would try to find someone to silver solder a new one on call your dealer he will know what part you need

Comment

Working...
                              X