X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another bad galvanized kitchen line!

I hate this...40' 2 inch galvy line, vent tees (no sweeps). I try the K50 from under the sink, 1-1/2 90 going right into a tee. Try the drop heads cannot get it down the line. Go in the crawl, see the 2 inch tee, runs about 15 feet, then takes a turn (this is newer Pvc only on the bend previous problem?) then it continues galvy 25 feet to the drop then 4 inch C.I. I pull the cleanout that was installed and the WHOLE line is full of mucK. I push it a foot then I rod all the way to the main 25 feet. Run water, still backs up. About two hours has passed and the homeowner wants it fixed, permanately! Ok, give an estimate to replace the line. Monday appointment.

No carpet, no wood floor, no soffits, and hopefully no ghost!

Re: Another bad galvanized kitchen line!

Ridding the world of stopped up galvanized pipes, one house at a time

Comment

Sounds like you've run into some bad luck lately NIP. My boss and I had to dig up a sewer today that we couldn't snake. Had it cameraed and located to where the blockage was . Couldn't see it on the camera so we just started digging. We were adding a laundry to an existing line on a house built in the 1920's. This existing plumbing has had very little use in the last few years as it is a guest room. The power company replaced lines in this subdivision a couple of years ago according to the homeowner. What we found in the old 4 inch concrete pipe was the powerline conduit. It wasn't crossing the sewer but running right down it! I guess they thought it was a conduit conduit! Luckily our machine didn't break through it or we would have been knocked on our arse! Or worse. Will post pics when I get them.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
        I hate this...40' 2 inch galvy line, vent tees (no sweeps). I try the K50 from under the sink, 1-1/2 90 going right into a tee. Try the drop heads cannot get it down the line. Go in the crawl, see the 2 inch tee, runs about 15 feet, then takes a turn (this is newer Pvc only on the bend previous problem?) then it continues galvy 25 feet to the drop then 4 inch C.I. I pull the cleanout that was installed and the WHOLE line is full of mucK. I push it a foot then I rod all the way to the main 25 feet. Run water, still backs up. About two hours has passed and the homeowner wants it fixed, permanately! Ok, give an estimate to replace the line. Monday appointment.

Have you noticed that since you added "the Techno Viking" as your avatar, your luck has gone down hill?
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

NIP, AND ALL OTHER PLUMBERS OUT THERE,

YOU MAY BE VERY GOOD JOURNEYMAN AND MASTER PLUMBERS,
          BUT YOU DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT DRAIN CLEANING I HAVE BEEN " SUCCESSFULLY "
          SNAKING 11/2" AND 2" GALV. DRAINS FOR OVER 30 YEARS AND I BET THOSE MUCH DERIDED
          DRAIN AND ROOTER PEOPLE OUT THERE CAN SAY THE SAME THING, !
          THE ONLY TIME I HAD TO CUT OUT AND REPLACE GALV. DRAIN PIPES IS WHEN THE BOTTOM WAS ROTTED OUT !
          YOU GUYS GET THE BIGGEST CABLE YOU CAN FIND AND " SHOVE " DOWN A HOLE AND IF IT WON'T GO YOU REPLACE THE PIPE
          I MADE MY MONEY BY GETTING THE DRAIN OPEN WITH A 60, 90, OR 180 DAY WARRANTY
          TO STAND BEHIND THE WORK I DO
          AND I ACCEPT ALL E-MAILS OR P.M.'S ON HOW TO SNAKE DRAINS,
          ALSO COME JUNE 2009 I WILL BE GIVING FACTORY TRAINING ON DRUM MACHINES, JETTERS, AND CAMERAS
          JERRYMAC
          E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
          CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
          FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
          SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post

SNAKING 11/2" AND 2" GALV. DRAINS FOR OVER 30 YEARS AND I BET THOSE MUCH DERIDED
            THE ONLY TIME I HAD TO CUT OUT AND REPLACE GALV. DRAIN PIPES IS WHEN THE BOTTOM WAS ROTTED OUT !
            YOU GUYS GET THE BIGGEST CABLE YOU CAN FIND AND " SHOVE " DOWN A HOLE AND IF IT WON'T GO YOU REPLACE THE PIPE
            ALSO COME JUNE 2009 I WILL BE GIVING FACTORY TRAINING ON DRUM MACHINES, JETTERS, AND CAMERAS
            why have you never piped in when ive asked how you guys properly clean 1 1/2 galvy lines?
            Mike
            Clark County Plumbing And Drain
            www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

see your p. M. Mail
              JERRYMAC
              E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
              CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
              FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
              SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

O.K. NIP lets see if the new avatar changes your luck.
                By the way, what the he11 is his name? At first I was thinking a young Kevin Bacon but I know thats wrong.
                INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Years ago from an article in Plumbing and Mech.Mag this tip was given. Many times It's wise
                  to just sawsall out the old Galvy. slimed line and replace with PVC OR ABS.
                  Works for Me,and I feel You've served the customer best in the long run!
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post

Love the aviator,is that the infamous Gov.?
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                      O.K. NIP lets see if the new avatar changes your luck.
                      By the way, what the he11 is his name? At first I was thinking a young Kevin Bacon but I know thats wrong.

Michael Bolton?

Comment

Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post

I used a K50 machine and rodded the cable to the main (not the biggest). The pipe was still completely blocked. I could have spent a lot more time and effort (customers money)...but to do it right, and remedy the issue, it will get cut out. I guess it all depends on what you charge...this customers money is better spent by mean replacing the line. If I did it for $49.95, then he would have had me stay there all day. I have freed many a drain...i actually dont enjoy doing the cut-outs.

Comment

NIP's avatar is from the scene in Office Space where the copying machine gets theirs. Awsome movie, every time I watch it, I get demoralized and don't come to work for a couple days.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                            NIP's avatar is from the scene in Office Space where the copying machine gets theirs. Awsome movie, every time I watch it, I get demoralized and don't come to work for a couple days.
                            Thanks Ben,
                            Its been driving me nuts. I'll have to check out 'Office Space' as even that is not ringing a bell

Comment

Well, I cut the pipe out yesterday. Completely blocked, what a mess. Flows like a clean colon now. 90 day clog free warranty. Happy homeowner. It figures though, this was so clogged there was hardly any dripping or mess! Not like the other cut out. Cant win'em all.

Comment

Working...
                              X