Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
How do you handle a hot head ? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How do you handle a hot head ?

    Yesterday we were called to clean out a toilet line. while we were working the HO got a call from another driller he had called to clean it. there was quiet a shouting match going on. there is a lot of that here they call every body in town and who ever gets there first gets the job. If I know they called another cleaner ill tell them they will ether have to call the other guy back and cancel or I am going to let the other guy have it. I have showed up to meany times and found someone already working on it with out canceling the job. But to my question I have got them calls where the customers have called up half drunk complaining about the price even when they know it up front or I find parts that are bad and replace them with high quality parts. They go to wail- Mart and see some junk cheapos for half the price. I tell them I wont put junk in I put it in to last. When they call You can tell they had a few to meany and they start yelling I try to explain but it is no use (you've done nothing when you have bested a fool) I will talk to them as long as they are just yelling but at the first cuss word I hang up. Sometimes after they think it over and call around and find that the price from everyone else would be the same or more, they will call back and apologize but you can bet they wont get me to come back if they don't, and just about all have called me back who never apologized. I remind them that they were not happy with me last time and they should call someone else. How do you handle them?

  • #2
    Re: How do you handle a hot head ?

    Perfect example yesterday:



    Customer, from africa, strong accent that makes it very hard to understand, but I try not to discriminate. He asks me what I'd charge to replace a burner assembly on whirlpool water heater, told him $85. He says, "No less?" to which I ignored him when he said that. I wouldn't state a price if I was going to do it cheaper.


    I put the burner assembly in, turn the gas valve on, flame pattern is way too much, flames shoot out of the bottom of the heater. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm aware "now" that I was supposed to change orifices from burner to burner assembly, right? Anyone have good background knowledge of this?


    Anyway, I tell him it's the gas valve that needs replacement, only to which I stated that for the obvious reason that the gas valve was allowing gas to enter the chamber without a standing pilot..........!!!! How dangerous do you think that is?


    So on that context alone, I tell him I'm heading to Lowe's for a faucet, I'll see if they'll set me up with a new gas valve. They didn't have one, guy calls me the next morning after I told him to call whirlpool. He states whirlpool wants to talk to me and I figured what the hell, laying in bed at 8 am why not?!?! I like on hold music to sleep by.

    I talk to the guy at whirlpool, explain the situation, asks me if I switched orifices on the burners to which I said no, and explained to him about the ability to turn this valve ON with no flame indicating to the thermocouple to open the gas valve. He puts me on hold for 5 minutes comes back, tells me he's going to send the valve overnight to the customer.

    Great.


    Call the customer back, tell him that I cannot do the job for him friday because I'm booked (which ended up changing with 2 jobs canceling today) and to let him know that I have to charge more than last time, like 2 hours figuring the drain down of the tank, changing the gas valve and reconnecting the burner assembly, firing back up and doing a test on it.

    $85 was the charge I agreed to which was 1.5 hours time for the first visit which isn't making money.

    I'll be damn if I'm going to have 3-3.5 hours in a job with 2 visits to the home for a ridiculous $170.00. That's not how you make money.


    When I mentioned this price, this guy automatically gets pissed off on the phone with me like I just **** in his wheaties.


    When you think about it, the charges in total for my time equate closely to a water heater replacement which I stressed HEAVILY from the go letting this guy know that you've got nothing but junk for a water heater, and this won't be the last time you have to deal with issues concerning the operation of the heater.

    He goes on telling me that it shouldn't take that long to do the job. ???

    What? Am I all the sudden who's not a plumber? From what I was gathering, since the part I put on the heater didn't fix the problem and I detected 2 things wrong with the operation of the valve, he feels that I should come back for that initial $85 and get the heater operational like he paid me to do..

    Oh Really.


    His last words were "I'll call you when the valve comes in" and that's the last I heard of him. His situation was that he was unemployed and they was managing off his wife's income, kids in the house as well. He's been unemployed for a couple years due to health and he wasn't too keen on replacing the heater given the costs endured to do so.

    I have a heart, but I'm not the fool. He cares nothing but having hot water,

    I care nothing but making money, like I'm paid to do when performing a task for service.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: How do you handle a hot head ?

      anymore I wont change the burner assembly on whirlpool water heater with out changing the gas valve.
      I`m gonna get to where I wont even work on em as they are JUNK.

      There should have been a red sticker on the burner plate telling you to change orifices on the burners

      whirlpool water heater SUCK!!!!!!
      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: How do you handle a hot head ?

        i usually ask for the invoice back, like i'm going to change the price, and quietly walk to the van and leave. if they start questioning what i'm doing i explain that obviously the quality of my work is not up to their standards and there is no charge. and i always add, "next time call Andre". invariably they ask who he is and i just say, "your next drain cleaner. i'm not comming back here"

        BTW, Andre is a very old man that wants to sell his business so bad but no one wants it. he has a bad rep and is way too expensive. they deserve each other.

        steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: How do you handle a hot head ?

          i did a bathroom rough-in in a shop last week for a refferal of a friend of
          mine (my friends cousin in law twice removed or something like that) hes
          50 some years old and still lives with his folks but has a real nice harley
          one of those guys! toilet, lav, shower, buildings already framed, roofed,
          and concreted, normally i would like to do a ground work in the ground but
          whatever. did the job punched the vent through the roof told the guy to
          get the roofer out to put the roof vent on 2 story with a A framed second
          story that was 9/12 pitch i told him me and my insurance company dont
          do those. 1 week later (yesterday), my friend calls and says there is a
          small leak on the shower valve and asked if i copuld go look at it. i said sure and went up about 5:00 last night and the guy was out there i fixed the leak it took 1 minute and he continues to ask me about the vent pipe i tell him the same thing about getting a roofer out and he just flips on me says my work is $h!T that im a piece of $h!t and i tell him im sorry he feels that way and walk to my van he walks up to my van and starts hitting my window saying "dont think i cant find you in the streets" and that im a worthless chicken $h!t and once again i tell him to have a nice day and he starts hitting the hood of my van as i back out of his driveway than he gets in his truck and follows me for a few miles.

          this was a first for me this guy is a nut job

          i have a feeling karma is gonna get him the shop is not insulated and the wind blows about 20 miles an hour up there on a normal day and we are supposed to have a week of nothing above 20 deg
          Mike
          Clark County Plumbing And Drain
          www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: How do you handle a hot head ?

            Originally posted by haycad View Post
            i did a bathroom rough-in in a shop last week for a refferal of a friend of
            mine (my friends cousin in law twice removed or something like that) hes
            50 some years old and still lives with his folks but has a real nice harley
            one of those guys! toilet, lav, shower, buildings already framed, roofed,
            and concreted, normally i would like to do a ground work in the ground but
            whatever. did the job punched the vent through the roof told the guy to
            get the roofer out to put the roof vent on 2 story with a A framed second
            story that was 9/12 pitch i told him me and my insurance company dont
            do those. 1 week later (yesterday), my friend calls and says there is a
            small leak on the shower valve and asked if i copuld go look at it. i said sure and went up about 5:00 last night and the guy was out there i fixed the leak it took 1 minute and he continues to ask me about the vent pipe i tell him the same thing about getting a roofer out and he just flips on me says my work is $h!T that im a piece of $h!t and i tell him im sorry he feels that way and walk to my van he walks up to my van and starts hitting my window saying "dont think i cant find you in the streets" and that im a worthless chicken $h!t and once again i tell him to have a nice day and he starts hitting the hood of my van as i back out of his driveway than he gets in his truck and follows me for a few miles.

            this was a first for me this guy is a nut job

            i have a feeling karma is gonna get him the shop is not insulated and the wind blows about 20 miles an hour up there on a normal day and we are supposed to have a week of nothing above 20 deg
            I hear you I got called to a job where the Y was put in backward and could not get the cable to head the rite way. I told her the plumber put the pipe in wrong and it needed to be replaced. she said no your going to get it open. I told her that I didn't put it in so blame the plumber who put it in not me. She said who ever put it in has been dead a long time so she said she had only me to blame she had to blame someone for this mess so she said I am going to hold you to blame and your not leaving till it works then she blocked me from walking out. I told her holding me against my will is kidnapping and she could go to jail for that she said your going to clean that line and get it working before you leave here. I knew this gal was nuts so I said there is one more thing I can try let me get something out of my van she let me get to my van I hoped in cranked it up ant got the he## out of there. what I got out of the van was me out of her house. I could write a book on the nuts I have come across. How about them calling up saying you stole there watch or Rx glasses then later calling back and saying they found it. If something is gone we took it. what am I going to do with her glasses. It would be stupid for us to steal something we would get the blame no one else in the house but us and them . there out there boys keep a watch out I make every one of my men get there cw permit and everyone carry's a gun in there van. That way I get a no cost back ground check and know my drivers were safer I only had one driver pulled over and beat up and that was because he was to young to carry a hand gun . The next day I bought him a can of mace all drivers carry mace for dogs. I thought he was too young 17. they never caught the two who did it

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: How do you handle a hot head ?

              OK,I have only had to do this two times in 30 years. If you start to laugh while your doing this you could be a dead man. Most people that are nuts feed on the fact that you are a stable individual If you can convince them within one minute that you might be more nuts than them they can be instantly cured. Some of us older guys can smell the nut when we walk into the house, you younger guys will develop this ability as you get more years under your belt. You have to know going in that you will never win any argument that comes up or be able to convince some of these people to your way of thinking, some of these people are pros and others are for real. Knowing that you will never see these people again in your life or that when they tell someone what you did it will be like the pot calling the kettle black and no one will listen.






              and that's how I solved my problem.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: How do you handle a hot head ?

                my buddy steve, had a customer that called the shop wanting to talk to the boss about the plumber they sent over.

                the girl in the office told the customer to turn around, you're looking at him

                we have a deal, if he refers me to a crazy person, i send him 2 back

                rick.
                phoebe it is

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: How do you handle a hot head ?

                  Thats funny !!

                  I used to work for a small sprinkler company, was a mom and pop type operation, with the son working out in the field. Did mainly government work. One day Jack (the son) and Gary (his helper) were on the job in a large machine shop with a high crane bay. Water was dripping from the roof onto a sprinkler pipe and then to the floor. The man that was over the building came to Jack and told him they had a leak on a sprinkler line. Jack informed him that is was the roof since they had already checked it out. Well this pissed the fella off and they had a few words and it finally came down to "I am going to call in on you and get you off this job". Jack just smilled and laughed and told him "When you call in tell Mom I said hello". Then him and Gary went back to work.

                  G3

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: How do you handle a hot head ?

                    That reminds me of being in the lawnmower store a few months ago. There was this old man who started yelling and cursing at the guy behind the counter; and starting saying he wanted to fight. He then says, you can't be in charge here, I want to speak to the boss. At this point, the guy says "Dad, there's someone who wants to talk to you." I started cracking up at that point.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: How do you handle a hot head ?

                      That reminds me of this time my brother who is like 285lbs and stands 6`4" and I was in a bar drinking a beer. My brother is a BIG RED NECK and an ex Army MP. Well there was this little kid like maybe 12 years old running around the bar. He ran by us many times and my brother was bothered by this. This kid had a ponytail half way down his back. Now keep in mind I`m also a long hair but not that long
                      Anyway, my brother told that kid he should go find his dad and ask him for a hair cut because he looked like a little girl.
                      Well next thing I knew his dad came to our table and said who has the problem with my kid. My brother was slid down in his seat and said I think your little girl should get a hair cut and she should not be in a bar at her age. This guy was only like 5` 10" and maybe 190lbs and thought he was king kong. He looked at my brother and said "well you want to go out side and say that?" I brother smiled at me and said hold my beer and watch this! He stood up and looked down on this guy and said "SURE"....lol The guy said well I`ll just get you kicked out of here and my brother said "OK" and set back down. The guy walked over to the bar and told the bartender his problems. The bartender walked over to us and said "hey boys, you need another beer" my brother said "Sure uncle Charley" That guy was pissed as hell and took his kid and left
                      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: How do you handle a hot head ?

                        Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

                        we have a deal, if he refers me to a crazy person, i send him 2 back

                        rick.
                        so my buddy steve is getting 2 back as of tonights emergency.

                        i covered for his company and got the crazy lady

                        i was trying to figure out a stoppage on a 4 story building and was shown 2- 6'' outside c/o by the manager the met me there. the c/o's were at a higher elevation than the c/o in the rear of the garage.

                        i went outside and ran water with a hose into the 6'' c/o. i walk inside the garage to see if the 4'' end of line c/o is spilling. i hear no water. i go outside and the hose is off.

                        repeat this 2 more times. the crazy lady shut the hose on me 3 times. i finally turned the handle so hard that it breaks off and she can't shut it

                        then she comes down in the garage and tells me in english that her unit is flooding into the hallways. i run up there and she opens the door. the unit is dry and i ask where it's flooding. she takes me to the kitchen opens the cabinet door. then in non english she points to the disposal. the place is bone dry.

                        i run back into the garage and determine that the stoppage is just the 4'' branch line. i snake with my 1.25'' cable as the line is 7.5' off the ground. hit a hard spot and continue to 44'. bring back roots and wipes.

                        go back upstairs to find her talking to a neighbor who has a screwdriver and pliers trying to shut off the hose

                        like i said, steve is getting 2 in return

                        rick.
                        phoebe it is

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: How do you handle a hot head ?

                          Quart of Oatey and a Turbotorch. Ever heard of Napalm?

                          J.C.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: How do you handle a hot head ?

                            Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            so my buddy steve is getting 2 back as of tonights emergency.

                            i covered for his company and got the crazy lady

                            i was trying to figure out a stoppage on a 4 story building and was shown 2- 6'' outside c/o by the manager the met me there. the c/o's were at a higher elevation than the c/o in the rear of the garage.

                            i went outside and ran water with a hose into the 6'' c/o. i walk inside the garage to see if the 4'' end of line c/o is spilling. i hear no water. i go outside and the hose is off.

                            repeat this 2 more times. the crazy lady shut the hose on me 3 times. i finally turned the handle so hard that it breaks off and she can't shut it

                            then she comes down in the garage and tells me in english that her unit is flooding into the hallways. i run up there and she opens the door. the unit is dry and i ask where it's flooding. she takes me to the kitchen opens the cabinet door. then in non english she points to the disposal. the place is bone dry.

                            i run back into the garage and determine that the stoppage is just the 4'' branch line. i snake with my 1.25'' cable as the line is 7.5' off the ground. hit a hard spot and continue to 44'. bring back roots and wipes.

                            go back upstairs to find her talking to a neighbor who has a screwdriver and pliers trying to shut off the hose

                            like i said, steve is getting 2 in return

                            rick.
                            I love those people that always shut off the water on ya. You tell em to leave it on and you walk back to the C/O and they shut it off .....errrrr

                            I had one lady ask me if I was gonna pay her water bill....lol... I said "NO" but I`m gonna leave if you shut off the water one more time
                            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: How do you handle a hot head ?

                              Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                              I love those people that always shut off the water on ya. You tell em to leave it on and you walk back to the C/O and they shut it off .....errrrr

                              I had one lady ask me if I was gonna pay her water bill....lol... I said "NO" but I`m gonna leave if you shut off the water one more time
                              sometimes it's just impossible to explain the differences between USING water and WASTING water

                              steve
                              In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X