X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just had to walk off

My helper and I were working late last night when a 9:00pm call came in.
    They had no C/O and said that they had cleared it from the Stool in the basement before. I said OK I`ll just have to come over and take a look at what you got to see how to clear it.
    Well I got there and looked over how the stool was plumbed in and said there is no way I can clear your main line from the Stool, I wouldn't even do it if I pull the Stool.

I couldn't believe what I saw. No combo, not even a T they just hacked a hole in the side of the stack and welded a pipe to it so they could connect the stool that was set on a platform up off the floor.

I looked at the HO and said I`m sorry but I`m thinking to myself that I shouldn`t even try this job. With out the right access I could get stuck trying to get a root ball out that welded joint. If you would like to install a C/O in the morning I`ll be clad to help but I`m just gonna have to pass as of right now.

Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 12-19-2008, 08:26 PM.
    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Re: I just had to walk off

I was told to walk away from a job yesterday, some guy always hooks a garden hose to those rubber dongs that blows up,

well the end broke off and shot it 3' feet into the drain, 2" cast.

I used my micro-seasnake and located the dong, now I need to go back today, cut the pipe nearly at the bottom of the stack and at the same time I'm cameraing the line, hook it, pull it out and charge a good dime.

Otherwise it's a bust the floor up job.

I need extensions for my micro seasnake. Anyone know the best place to get them? Last time I remember, they're around $50 per 3' extension....?

I don't think I would of done that one either.......but what if it's just a soft matter clog? I heard service guy's K7500 run and didn't realize those machines were so loud when operating.

You can barely hear my 300 operating, 1065's especially the older ones hurt your ears when they wound up to full rpm.
    Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 12-19-2008, 11:20 AM.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
      I was told to walk away from a job yesterday, some guy always hooks a garden hose to those rubber dongs that blows up,

well the end broke off and shot it 3' feet into the drain, 2" cast.

HAHA- YEA , see sometimes its better to walk away the first time, cause when you walk back its more money
      Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
      New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Ah yes! The old screaming 1065's. I am slightly deaf in my right ear from running those things for so long. Thank God for the permanent magnet motors they have now. I still think the old gear reduction motors had more power.

You can barely hear my 300 operating, 1065's especially the older ones hurt your ears when they wound up to full rpm.[/quote]
        www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
          My helper and I were working late last night when a 9:00pm call came in.
          They had no C/O and said that they had cleared it from the Stool in the basement before. I said OK I`ll just have to come over and take a look at what you got to see how to clear it.
          Well I got there and looked over how the stool was plumbed in and said there is no way I can clear your main line from the Stool, I wouldn't even do it if I pull the Stool.

I couldn't believe what I saw. No combo, not even a T they just hacked a hole in the side of the stack and welded a pipe to is so they could connect the stool that was set on a platform up off the floor.

I looked at the HO and said I`m sorry but I`m thinking to myself that I should even try this job. With out the right access I could get stuck trying to get a root ball out that welded joint. If you would like to install a C/O in the morning I`ll be clad to help but I`m just gonna have to pass as of right now.

I love them. How about when they do have a good clean out and some DIYS decides hey that's a great place to hook up my new line. No new clean out just's plumbs it in solid.

Comment

I just had a call,
            caller:
            "My sewer is backed up and I need it rooted out where the line goes under the house, can you tell me how much that would be?"

me: "Is there an outside cleanout?"

caller: "The cleanout is in the crawlspace, there is about 2 feet of clearance."

me: "I charge a flat-rate for drain-cleaning, and with the crawlspace access, the price will probably end up around $225."

caller: "I'll have to get back to you."

I hung up, I really didn't want this call as I am Christmas shopping today. If he had said, "ok, come on out", I would have scheduled him for later, but honestly I was happy that he couldn't afford me, because I really hate crawling under trailers, especially with heavy sewer equipment (the k-60 would have been used of course).

Some jobs are better left to the competition. Especially if he gets some bozo to do the job for less money.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

wow, sg----thats all u charge for sewer cleans in confined area????

no wonder it took you so long to save up 4 a camera!!!!!

time 4 a price hike!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post

me: "I charge a flat-rate for drain-cleaning, and with the crawlspace access, the price will probably end up around $225."
                OMG - $225 . I want to drain clean now

Oh wait we already have that thread going

Oh ps , yea going under trailers sucked when I used to plumb in NC
                Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

$225 for main line snaking? I'm sure you will stay busy but here that's very cheap

Double that is pretty standard here

Comment

I need to move to Ohio or Dc.
                    $250 will buy you a snaking and camera with me.
                    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Snaking AND camera will cost you $750 here

There's easier money to be made doing other things

Comment

Originally posted by plumberjr View Post
                        wow, sg----thats all u charge for sewer cleans in confined area????

no wonder it took you so long to save up 4 a camera!!!!!

time 4 a price hike!!!!!!!
                        Yes, but for this area that is apparently a lot of money, because this guy immediately wanted to get off the phone when I gave him the quote. It is a rural area, and in general I have noticed southerners are cheapskates. (I am a northern yankee originally!)
                        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

$750? WHAAAAAAT?
                          PC I'm moving in!! At $750 a pop I could easily afford the rent, even during inauguration week.
                          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                            Yes, but for this area that is apparently a lot of money, because this guy immediately wanted to get off the phone when I gave him the quote. It is a rural area, and in general I have noticed southerners are cheapskates. (I am a northern yankee originally!)
                            Southerners are cheapskates!?! Yeah, that's true alot of the time. I think I've proven myself to be Southern a time or too.

You can tell a real cheapskate/homeowner/hack when you go on a call and they've made drain repairs or additions with black roll water pipe. Up and down roller coaster installation of course.

J.C.

Comment

Around here they even manage to install the rollerr coaster with PVC.
                              I guess that makes us, upper class Rednecks

Comment

Working...
                              X