X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new machines

well, budget is done and i figured in 5 new compact snakes-----problem is the guys want to toss the k50's NOW!!!! open to all comment---please include why and which machine---also i only buy ridgid so please dont suggest general or mytana junk----we need to toss our old k50's and replace with new small machines----as u know i dont like sectional mess ---i like to make money fast and no mess, so im a drummer, but convince me otherwise and i may go back

i cannot have a messy machine---this new snake will work indoors under sinks and in tubs and such----i like the k400, but i have 2 weeks to be persuaded otherwise---also cost is not important, mess is

thanks
    jason

Re: new machines

If you don't like sectionals, why don't you get a k-39 for your tub and lav lines, and a k-400 (or k-380 if you can still find them) for the kitchen sink lines? That is the setup I use, and it is a very fast and clean setup. I was going to get the k-3800 and a couple different drums, but the k-3800 doesn't have an option for wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
      If you don't like sectionals, why don't you get a k-39 for your tub and lav lines, and a k-400 (or k-380 if you can still find them) for the kitchen sink lines? That is the setup I use, and it is a very fast and clean setup. I was going to get the k-3800 and a couple different drums, but the k-3800 doesn't have an option for wheels.
      Exactly what I use also.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

it's only a mess when you don't know how to use it and do it.

i don't even use the guide hose indoors on my k50.

knowing how to stay clean is what separates experience from inexperience.

i remember the early days with abs glue. all over my hands and clothes.

now not even a drip on the fittings.

experience counts.

try to get your 5/8'' cable into a 1.5'' line and i'll show you how i get my 5/8'' cable into the same line.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

superplumber, running a service dept means i have more than myself to think about----i cant be on every job with the guys, and not every job is a mess with the k50---its just the fact that our k50's are very old and dont work well.
          i like that its versatile and can be used for many apps, the problem is some drains are really nasty and u dont always have a way to run water to clean the entire cable and even if u do, the cage drips as u leave, and with white or light carpet, its not good. i think the k50 is great, just looking for a good replacement. my 6200 gets heavy use and never makes a mess, like the 1500 can. experience does not mean that your cable comes out sparkling clean every time. i have cleaned many lines with sectionals and if you claim that you have never had a mess with one, u are a liar. all it takes is a little sludge on the cable to fling it all over. its also a pain setting up several dropcloths and using lots of shoptowels to cleanup after using a sectional and takes more time to be extra cautious not to drip on carpet, when a drum means none of the above and less time.
          once again, im not against sectionals, as i own a few(1500's and k50's), i just want to get 1 replacement for each k50 in each truck. i have no problems with mess, but some guys that are less experienced may. and being able to avoid a po'd client and a big carpet clean bill would be prefferred.

once again, id like to know what works for you guys.we see lots of old galvy and cast lines here

Comment

I used to own the k3800 and I liked it but it takes up the more floor space that a k50 w/ cages. I had the autofeed attachment which I liked. It has the gear reduction motor and takes apart so you can take it on the roof if need be. I will say that just because it's a drum machine doesn't mean drop cloths are to be forgotten about. About the 3rd time you trip in, you get a nice mist splashing around. It does have a cart attachment(never had one). When carrying it, you probably want to break it done because it's extremely akward to carry, has a weird weight distribution.

I would say buy it(if that's what you want) around the spring fling promotion time frame. You'll get the sink drum free(I had it but never used it, had a k39af). I ended up selling it because I wanted to buy a locator and I really couldn't warrant a machine taking up that much space to be used 1 or 2 a year.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

well i guess the white carpeting in the beverly hills condo thursday doesn't count

all i had was a 5 gallon bucket to carry my k-50 and 3 sections of 5/8'' cable rolled up inside. 2 -12'' x 12'' rags to cover the controls of the washer and top lid. no guide hose.

guess what no mess and the carpet and machine is still clean.

tell me how you would move that washer with white carpeting on the floor so you can set your drum machine down in front of the 2'' drain. i rather doubt you will set the 400 on the machine.

remember a 5/8'' cable with cutter cleans the 2'' line and trap.

a 5/16'' cable with no cutter just plays in the pipe.

by the way, i've never had to have any carpets cleaned. that's 33 years of snaking. 4 years more than you've been alive

i can't ever remember seeing a carpeted kitchen.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I carry both a K 50 and a 3800 with wheals it works good for me. I get a big roll of cheap plastic garbage bags and tape them where I'm working it don't take long and unlike a tarp the bags are always clean. I have used the front end hose from my 1500 to work over washers and other things I cant move.The power feed helps keep the mess down too. I bought a K 40 at a charity auction off E-Bay but never used it the hose on front was broke. And I would probable just grab the 39 but it can get heavy if you hold it at a bad angle and my wrist always gets an Indian burn from the drum.

Comment

Hey Rick
                  can you do a video of you doing the K-50 and the bucket thing? I`ve heard about this but cant see how it works in my mind.
                  I`m getting a K-50 and wanted to see just how the bucket and cable deal works so as not to make a mess.
                  http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

I can see where the K-50 would be great for smaller drains, especially with the drum attachment. I use the General Super Vee for my smaller 1/4" and 3/8" cables and that's for tubs and basins.

I use the K-60 for everything else. I ran a kitchen drain with it today, with lots of bends - luckily it was all 2" after the 1-1/2" adapter and bushing. It was totally effortless.

If there is white carpet (or any other color), I use canvas runners to cover it all, or at least plastic runners. The canvas under my machine is lined with plastic. I use an old plastic water heater shipping cover or visqueen inside the cabinets to keep from spraying the sides. A little prep saves a lot of cleanup. I have one tub in the trailer loaded with canvases and tarps.

In the summer at least, I can use a hose and Pine-Sol to clean the tarps between uses. Harder to dry them in the winter.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      it's only a mess when you don't know how to use it and do it.

i don't even use the guide hose indoors on my k50.

knowing how to stay clean is what separates experience from inexperience.

rick.

Okay, we'll see about that.

No more clear water clogs FOR U.

Next time you post a video, it HAS to be mucked up greased kitchen sink clog or a main drain line that runs flat for 30' that has old sewage in it.

Or a K-60 cable wrapped with everything it cleared in that same drain and how methodical it is to cut and clean that cable of hair and gunk, roots, everything.

That's the reality I deal with every day that I pull back on the end of my tight wound cables, not the entire length.

I got a story to tell about a job today, just need to find the thread I want to hijack to do it.
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

how about the indoor 3'' main line c/o from a bar sink cabinet with white carpeting today 75' with a 2.5'' spiral root saw.

on the 7/8'' x 15' cables indoors with carpet, i do use a rear hose and a cardboard box to set the machine and cage on.

with 5/8'' x 7.5' i use the bucket.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          how about the indoor 3'' main line c/o from a bar sink cabinet with white carpeting today 75' with a 2.5'' spiral root saw.

on the 7/8'' x 15' cables indoors with carpet, i do use a rear hose and a cardboard box to set the machine and cage on.

with 5/8'' x 7.5' i use the bucket.

rick.

Pictures! Video!

Live Feeds via Satellite!

I'll send the news stations over to catch you "Live!"
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

funny you say this.

as today i did an amazing catch with my k-50 5/8'' sectional and a 2'' laundry line.

even better was the academy award winning producer who i had take the photos of me and my find

i'll wait to post them in a day or so

trust me, you'll be impressed

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Rick was showing me the 'bucket trick' with the K-50 when we were at Josh's parents house snaking a drain. Wasn't working for me. Maybe we were just out of rhythm. Maybe I'm just lame. Rick said the bucket was too tall?

Doesn't matter to me now. The bones of the K-50 are in the landfill.

R.I.P. Suzy

Comment

Working...
                              X