X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So you want to be a plumber?

In light of all the posts recently about guys thinking to get into the drain business, I'll post this. Sure, drain-cleaners can sometimes make ok money, and the job is virtually recession-proof, which I guess is why so many people are thinking to get into it lately, given the current global recession.
    But think carefully...very expensive and heavy equipment, a lot of liability, unsanitary working environment, very late hours, and of course the endless exposure to human waste!

So you want to be a plumber? (actually the title is "drain-cleaner" technically speaking, licensed plumbers do a hell of a lot of things besides unclogging drains.)
    Here is the afternoon job I did, I was standing in a pile of human waste and toilet paper while cleaning the sewer drain. Keep in mind that I am simply posting this photo as TODAY'S AVERAGE DRAIN CALL. This is not the grossest job by any stretch, this is just your average, run-of-the-mill sewer-drain backed up in the basement. Luckily the lighting is pretty bad so you don't get a real clear view of the sh!t-logs.

Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Re: So you want to be a plumber?

Snaked main through flange, could not pass 30'. started looking around.

Pic #1
    Huh.. I wonder why no snow in this area? It's about the distance I'm out.

Pic#2
    Grabbed the shovel, as being a septic system I knew it should be shallow. Remove 3 shovels full and the "debris" started puking up from the ground.

Pic#3 when it finally stopped
    Attached Files
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Today I was on my back under a trailer house. It`s 18 degrees here with a wind chill of -4.
      Then I went to a house and cleared a kitchen sink drain full of old rotten food and hair. The stench is still with me 5 hours later.
      I then went to a Wendy's hamburger joint and pulled a stool that was full of poo. While my helper cleaned up the mess I went up and ordered my lunch. Yea thats right, we have to eat even after working in the poo.
      If you like poo and you like the smell of it after it`s set for a few days and if you like to get called out every hour of the day and night my class starts Monday

BTW.... you better have a nice bank account because your gonna need a truck load of money to buy all the RIGHT equipment needed to do this new job you think you want.
      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

i don't know way, but seeing poop pics cracks me up everytime.

guess i was born a plumber.

Vince

ever heard the saying "cleaner than sh!t in a wind storm"?

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
          Snaked main through flange, could not pass 30'. started looking around.

Pic #1
          Huh.. I wonder why no snow in this area? It's about the distance I'm out.

Pic#2
          Grabbed the shovel, as being a septic system I knew it should be shallow. Remove 3 shovels full and the "debris" started puking up from the ground.

Pic#3 when it finally stopped

I'll claim that one! That's a heavy diet of big macs!!!

I see sesame seeds! (look closely)

and corn too!
          Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 12-21-2008, 11:59 AM.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Were i live (southeast Louisiana) I was told by a few master plumber friends of mine that, Louisiana state plumbing board is trying to pass regulations that require plumbing liscense to do drain cleaning. I know a few people who are pissed about that.

Comment

[QUOTE=DUNBAR;195300]I'll claim that one! That's a heavy diet of big macs!!!

Did He say Tool's CORN ?

and corn too QUOTE]
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
              X