X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Clean-out

How many of you guys come a crossed a sewer that has no Clean-out above ground but the guy before you has dug up the line outside and busted a hole in it for access and just put a tin or what ever patch over the hole?

How many of you guy`s will do this?

I`m working on some stuff for the class tomorrow and just wanted to know if this is only stuff I run a crossed or am I not alone?
    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Re: No Clean-out

Lookout for the toad!!! I have seen those Rube Goldbergs...

Comment

I think the toad likes the feel of the warm sewer in the winter as his home was right next to it
      Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 12-21-2008, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Yes, I've seen the "hole knock" many times. I don't think it's malicious all the time. Sometimes they just don't know any better.

J.C.

Comment

your not alone All Clear, I come across it all the time, thats when I sell a two-way clean out and a riser. Its just lazy plumbing.
          The Other Rick

Comment

I've seen it a couple times. A buddy of mine down in Georgia does it all the time.

Man I have been tempted. you know when it's a pain to dig down to the pipe let alone all around it and big enough for a wye and fernco's. Lord how I've been tempted!

Comment

I see a lot of that in basements
              People like to cover them with sand bags.
              They usually say something like " we just had the last guy do this because we're going to have line replaced."
              UMM... But its been like this for 5 years

I did see one (in basement. cast iron) that was drilled with a hole saw and had an expanding plug installed. That seemed to work ok.
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

i've done it a couple times to access the line and come back the next day to install a proper c/o.

i've also seen a few clamps with u-bolt and cast iron patch in the past.

seen dozens of the knock a hole in the pipe. especially with a camera.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Any drain line in the ground, I'll never knock a hole in it.

But when I'm in a situation on a laundry tub where I have the kitchen sink tieing into the same stack and the clog is holding both up?

I'll either drill a hole, cut a square and bend it back or cut it in half and access top down with the machine.

I don't always have mission no-hub couplings on the truck so I'll either cut a piece of a rubber fernco and clamp the vent with the rubber for easy access next time or when I cut it in half, mission coupling it back together.

But I've cut pieces of fernco's before and double clamped the pipe knowing it's wrong, but I got my drain cleaning cap on knowing that I'm there to clear the drain and move on, not make it a big ordeal.

It's wrong, of course, but I sure do love it when the last guy did the same thing and all I need is a screwdriver to gain access to the pipe to clear it.

Cleanout caps are soooooooooooo overrated folks; I've broke so many, had so many cross thread, leak, you name it and never do I have the luxury of the last guy making sure there was teflon dope on it so it would easily come out.

You can really injure yourself trying to break one free, short of a torch trying to heat it out.

I like simplicity in drain cleaning. Would never patch clamp anything other than a vent pipe that never sees wastewater.
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I find the pipe with a probe dig down with a post hole digger use a well drillers rock cutter on end of gas post hole digger place the clean out pipe over the hole pore in risen over sewer pipe and clean out pipe and its done. fast, simple, no roots can get in and it wont deteriorate and I can go both ways. If it is deeper then 3' then I dig and put in a double clean out.But I have seen the can lids. Before they had those couplings and plastic pipe it was a common practice put on a coffee can lid and pour cement over it. And down in the basement they used 1 1/2" clean outs all they had were poking rods and that was all they needed. We bought the first electric machine in the county and we did a lot of digging to get a bigger hole. I wish they had Fast Cure, back then, you can cover that stuff up before you leave. but if you get it on you or a tool good luck getting it off. So I can see some of them using cement yet.

Comment

i've used my coring machine to drill a nice round hole for a c/o on a live line with no way to shut off the flow. and i do use a gas post hole digger to soften up the soil and make some entry holes for digging.

do you have a photo of that post hole digger and rock cutter bit?

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

When I see this sort of thing I insist a proper cleanout tee be put in immediately in place of the broken pipe. If the customer won't do it, I won't work for that customer. But most of the time the customer is upset that the last company did the hack-job and they are happy to have me install a proper cleanout.
                        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                          How many of you guys come a crossed a sewer that has no Clean-out above ground but the guy before you has dug up the line outside and busted a hole in it for access and just put a tin or what ever patch over the hole?

How many of you guy`s will do this?

I`m working on some stuff for the class tomorrow and just wanted to know if this is only stuff I run a crossed or am I not alone?
                          That is pretty standard stuff. I can see doing it in an emergency to get someone through the weekend but there is no way I would leave it like that.

Good luck with your class tomorrow. Make sure you take plenty of photos to share with us.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mark
                            it`s pretty standard around here for Roto Rooter. They always do these holes because they cant install Clean Outs as they dont have any plumbers on staff.

Comment

Yup, I call them roto rooter cleanouts. Its hilarious when all they left over the opening to seal it off was a plastic bag and roots have grown in through the hole and caused the blockage

Comment

Working...
                              X