And the oscar goes to

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: And the oscar goes to

Sounds to me like this camera deal is a touchy one. I can see both sides of the story though.

1. If I call you out and ask for a camera inspection and want a video copy of it then you need to supply it to me, and of course charge me for it. Now if I want to show this to a couple other plumbers for pricing so be it, it is my piping and my video, remember I paid for both.

2. I can see where some would get mad if the customer price shopped the job using the video, feeling like you did all of the leg work for others to just follow. Sounds to me like you did not charge enough for the camera inspection to start with, hoping to make up the difference in the actual job to be done. I think I would charge a little more for the inspection and then be a little cheaper on the job or tell the customer that the price of the inspection would be deducted from from the price of the job if they go with me.

Thats kind of like buying a dvd at wally world and them telling you no one else but you could watch it, yeah right!

I for one know that tools are not cheap to purchase but they will pay for themselves in short order by labor savings alone. Never let your tools be the reason for falling short on a job. I will agree with rick in having doubles of some of the more important tools or at least repair parts on hand for things you know are weak links.

G3

Comment

Re: And the oscar goes to

Holy cow! I can't believe whats going here. Every one of us has our own game plan on how to run our businesses. What we are supposed to do is take a little bit from Service Guy to Mark and Rick and everybody in between and incorporate it in to our way of thinking where possible.There is no "absolute" here but when you start to hear from a lawyer, documentation on tape can be very helpful. Los Angeles can be a very litigious environment. Our shop could sometimes do 50 jobs a day but we had no camera. Having seen the sewer inspection videos from just about every guy in town, what I discovered was a lack of information, training, knowledge and the ability to properly evaluate. These were guys that were more interested in making a sale than solving a problem.What we did was find a guy that did a great job of locating, diagnosing, documenting and assisting us with an independent opinion in regards to what should or should not be done. The tapes he gave us were full of details and we were able to take his information and return to the job site to provide an estimate. The only drawback we encountered was the fact that this guy loved to be on TV so his tapes were so long winded that I often time found myself falling asleep. When I would drop the tape's off to my customer's home along with an estimate I found the same to be the true with them. My camera guy had this amazing ability to put people to sleep so it's possible that the reason we got almost every job was due to a good nights sleep. Some of you yougsters will discover that what Mark said is so true, he "never needed to sell a job". Being honest and straightforward will do all the selling for you and I feel that the majority of our forum members fall into that catagory. 2009 will bring a whole bunch of newcomers into our playing field, don't be too quick to dismiss some of what you have heard from Rick, think about how you can do something to seperate your established business from the rest.

Comment

Working...
      X