Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: And the oscar goes to

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    In this case you're probably wrong. Most septic tanks here are withing 20' of the house. A septic tank contractor only has to be told the tank is too high. They'll know what to do if a camera was never even present.

Oh, by the way Carl, chances are the whole system will have to be redone.

J.C.
    Yes, I know. The customer understood before I even explained it. He was actually a very smart guy, he even knew what a new drain-field might run him since he has dealt with this sort of thing in previous homes.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Herk View Post
      Although I'd love to get a camera, I fear that most of my customers would never pay for one. Another local cleaner got a camera less than a year ago and it's spent a lot of time back at the factory - at about $1500 per repair. They've spent a lot more on repairs than they've made with it.

Nobody mentioned this true, actual statement that I'm fully aware of when purchasing such equipment.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

you should have saved your money and and just bought a monitor only with no recording feature if you don't plan on making a tape.

that what separates me from the rest.

i do jobs for the other guys. a tape is the only proof that what your selling is the truth. i don't care if the drain is pitch black. the tape will show it and the audio will describe what i'm/ they're looking at and where it is and what recommendations i have.

what happens when the customer is not there to look at your 5'' lcd screen do you take out crayons and draw them a picture or is the etch-a-sketch ok, as long as you don't shake it.

carl, i hope you can afford a $1.00 tape.

if you're going to do a video inspection, the customers expects a video tape/disc.

believe me, i've had this conversation hundreds of times with the customer.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

If they request a tape, I tape it. Most of my customers don't want one. They just want the problem solved. Trust me, if I thought they wanted a tape, I would tape it. I use the camera to find the problem and I fix it. It is just another tool and a very effective one. I understand that a video-recording can be helpful in some situations, but your argument (that every time you put your camera in a drain, it needs to be recorded) is nonsense.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            i guess the job cost didn't take into account $1.00 for a tape.

the next guy after you is not going to know what the customer is describing.

rick.
            The next Guy needs to spend his money like I did and buy his own video system
            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

you should have saved your money and and just bought a monitor only with no recording feature if you don't plan on making a tape.

i do jobs for the other guys. a tape is the only proof that what your selling is the truth.
              rick.
              Your right Rick as I`m a Trusted Professional and I don`t have to have proof that I`m telling the truth. They called me out because they already trust me
              http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

wow.

this thread has gone from praising the drain cleaning machines to sh!t chucking.

why can't we all just get along?

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                  The next Guy needs to spend his money like I did and buy his own video system
                  So he can charge the customer again...Nice.

We have a problem in my community.Guys trying to replace sewers and not leaving proof of their findings.I've had to go on one last month.No marking,no video.His price was through the roof for the repair.He charged $300 for the 10 minutes of camera.
                  He is a piece of ****.Scamming.
                  The people needed a second opinion.

Comment

i do jobs for the other guys. a tape is the only proof that what your selling is the truth. i don't care if the drain is pitch black. the tape will show it and the audio will describe what i'm/ they're looking at and where it is and what recommendations i have.

what happens when the customer is not there to look at your 5'' lcd screen do you take out crayons and draw them a picture or is the etch-a-sketch ok, as long as you don't shake it.

carl, i hope you can afford a $1.00 tape.

if you're going to do a video inspection, the customers expects a video tape/disc.

believe me, i've had this conversation hundreds of times with the customer.

rick.
                    Drawing a layout of property and problem areas are far better/lasting than
                    marking property.As long as they're legible.

Comment

Originally posted by service guy View Post
                      if they request a tape, i tape it. Most of my customers don't want one. They just want the problem solved. Trust me, if i thought they wanted a tape, i would tape it. I use the camera to find the problem and i fix it. It is just another tool and a very effective one. I understand that a video-recording can be helpful in some situations, but your argument (that every time you put your camera in a drain, it needs to be recorded) is nonsense.
                      x2

Comment

If you are doing free camera work for your own benefit I could see an argument for not making a video. However, if you are charging a client for a sewer inspection there is no reason for not supplying them with a video. I personally do not camera for free and every inspection comes with a video.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                          If you are doing free camera work for your own benefit I could see an argument for not making a video. However, if you are charging a client for a sewer inspection there is no reason for not supplying them with a video. I personally do not camera for free and every inspection comes with a video.

Mark

x2
                          rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                            Your right Rick as I`m a Trusted Professional and I don`t have to have proof that I`m telling the truth. They called me out because they already trust me
                            i wish that was true with everybody.

problem is 90% of the people that call me out and said they had their line camered by others, so called pro's is a joke.

either there is no tape. or the tape is useless.

a new customer sent me over a cd, not a dvd. she could play it and neither could i. she called them and they delivered another cd. i still couldn't play it. she had to download software for her mac to view it. i go to her house to view it and it turns out to be a 10' total video inspection. no audio, no marks no nothing. oh i forgot a $10,000 estimate to fix what they taped. that was 6 months ago they taped it and i saw it 2 weeks ago. guess what, it's still working fine.

i told her not to spend, waste anymore money on it. wait till it backs up and i'll snake it myself.

maybe this doesn't go in in your little communities, but realize every tom, dick and harry has a camera out here. and in all the years of watching others tapes, if they existed 90% of them were useless and a waste of money.

what separates me from the other camera guys is i'm not there to sell them anything more than good advise. what i would do at my house, if this was my property. most are a wait and see, some are to install a proper 4'' outside c/o. and less than 1% need a new sewer.

not trying to sell is why i keep busy and am able to work for other companies. it's also why i personally have over 1200 customers and add new ones every couple of days. it's also why i get calls from strangers on angies list that i've never worked for and don't want to be on it.
                            this being from a plumber who has never advertised, and only drives 5-6k miles a year. when you have to compete with companies that spend more in advertising than i make all year. yellow pages that are 40 pages of plumbers in the local community.

why, because i give them what they paid for

i have nothing to hide and i would rather wait than jump. sewers don't go bad overnight. rome wasn't built in a day. think about it.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
                              wow.

this thread has gone from praising the drain cleaning machines to sh!t chucking.

why can't we all just get along?

Vince
                              Me too Vince. Two things don't make sense to me:

1. The side of things saying to leave a video & diagram for the next guy. If it's a good job the homeowner's not going to call me anyway. If they call another person then they don't completely trust the other company either.

And why would I trust that video? More than once it's been posted that different companies would give a fake video.

It almost feels like some think that the competitor before them owes them a good video to make their job easier.

2. If I have a camera system, it's none of my business what the guy before me did. He's not great if he leaves a video. And he's not a bad person if he doesn't. And it's ok if they operate their business differently.

Now I have to go to a fish fry.

J.C.

Comment

I bid on additions and remodels ,Based on a set of plans ,paid for and supplied by the owner. other contrs. are also bidding on the same exact details. The home owner gets a
                                square deal this way. Imagine if pages and specs. were missing!
                                The Archt. would be in court. Why should a drain Customer receive less??
                                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                                X