And the oscar goes to

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And the oscar goes to

now that the year is coming to an end, i figured i would save some of the best for last

i don't get stuck that often. but last week i was stuck for 2 hours at a medical building. i have a track record there, but nothing beyond 52' from the outside clean out.

so when i hit 60' with my 1.25'' innercore cable and timberwolf, i was stuck and still plugged up

could go 4' in and 1' back. the low gear power of this drill is tremendous and the cable was not freeing up.

it was a friday, and the building was going to be closed on the weekend. i didn't want to wait for the weekend. and i didn't want to run another section of 1.25'' cable into the 4''c/o and 6'' main.

so i chose the 1 machine that has been my go to machine.

the k-60

knowing that the 1.25'' was at 60' with a 4''x 3'' cutter on it. i installed a 2'' pear cutter on my innercore k-60 cable. i had no problem with the open wind cables threading onto each other. at 60' i worked it for 30 seconds and the line drained removed my 7/8'' cable, clean.
    then powered up my timberwolf and got it out too perfectly clean and cutter intact

going back this week to camera the line and see what's up at 60'. i do know it's in the street and a 6'' line. what i don't know is why i was stuck and what was plugging the line

the oscar goes to the k-60 for best drain cleaner in a supporting role

rick.

Attached Files
    phoebe it is

Re: And the oscar goes to

and the oscar goes to

saturday i actually did a job for an academy award winning producer

his newly remodeled home was having stoppage issues at his downstairs laundry room. the 2'' stand pipe and floor drain were sluggish and had backed up on him.

so i go with my k-50/ 5/8'' cable and go for it. first i tried my bulb auger and was binding at 7.5' in. finally getting past it and continue to 21'. pulling back a cable with a missing bulb. no the whole head, just the bulb as the female coupler was still connected.

so i try my retriever end and fight it at 7.5'. i felt like i hooked the bulb and bring it back out the 2'' floor drain. what i didn't expect to see is the strainer basket from the laundry sink. i actually managed to hook the retriever into a 3/16'' hole in the strainer basket

how did it get there well my best guess was during the remodel 18 months ago, they had open lines and the floor drain was a catch all.

what the owner doesn't realize is just how lucky i was. as you can see from my photos, the floor is slab on grade with black granite and gold inlaid corners.

the oscar in a lead role goes to the k-50.

rick.

Attached Files
    phoebe it is

Comment

You don't carry the camera with you so you can inspect right there? Why come back next week? Interesting head on the 7/8 cable. From drain cable direct?
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

rick,

not trying to change the subject, but have you dumped a bunch of weight?

nice pics by the way.

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          You don't carry the camera with you so you can inspect right there? Why come back next week?
          A pro keeps it with em on every job as you just never know when it`s gonna be needed.

Maybe it`s because it`s in a drum that he dosent carry the camera
          http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
            A pro keeps it with em on every job as you just never know when it`s gonna be needed.

I knew I wouldn't have to wait long for you to come up with a line.

Comment

http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

you da man.
                Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
                1-920-284-7471

Comment

unlike others that see the need to attack when the customer is desperate. i give them options and let them decide what they want to do.

i don't force a camera inspection on them. i don't camera for free and i don't screw around and give them false impressions of their situation.

what i do is give them choices to think about. the line is running and the emergency is over. the owners and management of the building was already gone for the weekend and i already sneaked in this favor of a job for them.

if you haven't forgotten. i have 8 cameras and 3 are always on the truck with 3 different locator's and 2 different recorders. not to mention the hundreds of invoice notes and records of past camera inspections including this one from 02.

and yes the owners gave me the ok to camera the line last monday. just waiting for the opportunity to get there and stay dry. being the job is 3 miles from me, it shouldn't be long to sneak it in.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

clean the legs with alcohol, let dry, spray legs with hair spray, slide the bumpers on

Comment

I video-inspect almost every job. It gives me and the homeowner a better understanding of the situation. How is that "attacking" anybody? The camera is the ultimate Impressionator.
                      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post

I wanted to say something about all the extra space in the trailer, but I decided to keep quiet instead.....
                        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                          I video-inspect almost every job. It gives me and the homeowner a better understanding of the situation. How is that "attacking" anybody? The camera is the ultimate Impressionator.
                          if you're doing it for free, that's 1 thing. if you're charging for it that's another thing. do you tape the findings and leave them with the owner who is paying for your camera? do you locate the issues and flag the property. if not, then you're not actually inspecting the line. like the owner has ever seen the inside of a sewer before.

90% of all video tapes i see from others are useless and a waste of money. no audio/ narration, no locations, just a boring silent movie.
                          if your going to charge for a video, then make it useful. make it so the owner can understand their problems and options.
                          but then again another 75% never get a tape, all they get is an estimate/ contract for more work.
                          a tape/dvd cost a dollar. you're already there with the camera and locator. give them a dollars worth of proof and let them decide.

it's always works for me and i'm usually the last guy on the job.

what was wrong with snaking a line like you did 3 months ago prior to owning a camera?

i don't camera a line unless there is serious issues or a long track record.

every time you go to the doctor/ dentist, do they x-ray you?

looking at a line for free to show the customer is up to you. charging for a camera every time you snake is a waste of someones money. somebody is paying for your time and camera.

i always snake the line and camera less than 5% of all jobs.

but then again i spend 2 hours camering and locating, discussing and documenting with the customer.

every sewer has issues when you look with a camera. it's knowing what are the real issues and what is not an issue. unless you have a track record of the line, you have no way to know what were the real issues of the past, present and future.

it's not all about how much money you can generate on every call. it's about building reputations
                          when other contractors and plumbers hire you for their work. it all speaks for itself.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

I totally disagree with your opinion on this. I don't tape unless the customer requests it. I let them see the inspection and I show them the location of any trouble-spots (using flags) after I use the locator. If I can see what's going on in the pipe, it helps me do my job. It also helps the customer. My customer's love to see the screen and see what's going on, and they are more than happy to pay for the technology. I felt crippled on sewer jobs before I got the camera as I couldn't accurately assess what and where the problem was.
                            I don't camera if I am on a job that I have already inspected in the past, or if the customer declines for whatever reason. I give options. Customers want options.
                            Last edited by Service Guy; 12-22-2008, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Rick, we are still wondering why you didn't video-inspect this particular job? Why reschedule, when you are already there with the cleanout open?

Comment

Working...
                              X