Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: K50?

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
    The drum is what I use but the 5 times I've used a k50 I can see some advantages in certain situations. Like stxrus did I measured wrong and didn't go in far enough so I had to run further out the next time. My fault. I think having to hook and unhook less would make it that much better. I'm betting 5/8 open wind spinning 400RPM's would clear most kitchen blockages on the 1st pass. I don't always do that with my drum.

I'm just thinking it could be easier and faster with the long guide hoses
    Yep, as discussed here many times before, there is a time and place for drums and sectionals. My view - if you have a liftgate (or a painless way to get it off he truck) and access is fast and easy for the drum, then use the drum. Everything else gets the sectional.

There, it's out... I came out of the closet! Now everyone knows what the drain cleaning apprentice spodelee thinks about the ol' sectional vs. drum debate... ducking for cover now!
    spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
      My k-380 is WAYYYYY faster than using a k-50. I did two drains with it today in record time. Gotta love the auto-feed. I just set the drum in front of the sink, step on the foot-switch, and push the auto-feed lever. Go in 50' or whatever is needed, pull the auto-feed lever to "reverse" and step on the foot-switch. Drain is cleared in seconds and there is no mess. Just wheel the K-380 out to the truck...done.
      I have plenty of K-50 experience in the past, and doing kitchen sinks with it is a total nightmare in contrast to the ease of K-380. Don't get me wrong, sectional cables are great at cleaning and they have their place. But in most scenarios I'd rather use a drum with auto-feed and save a ton of time.
      I can see that. today the k50 was no benefit, but if I had to go upstaires the sectional was easy enough to use I would pick that verses a drum. A sectional would be an extra for me just for when it would make life easier

Comment

Carl is your 380 now the 400?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Yes and no. My K-380 has the hand-truck with wheels and the auto-feed! The lazy man special! It is no longer available, and the K-400 doesn't have the same features as the model I have.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Thanks. I did not know if maybe it was the 3800. Get confused.

So.... I started a thread asking opinions of both.

J.C.

P.S. They might still have AF for the K400. Thought I saw it in the catalog I can't find.

Comment

K400 is the closest relative to the K-380. If my K380 ever dies, I will likely replace it with the K-400. I didn't really like the K-3800, the one I used at my old shop didn't have an auto-feed and no hand truck. it was heavy and awkward. If the K-3800 was the only kitchen drum available, I would rather just use a K-50.
              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                What kind of drum are you using? Which do you like better, the k-50 or the drum? Just curious.
                I use a Mytana M81 for lavs and mains. I just swap drums of 3/8s or 11/16 cable. It's a huge machine but very narrow so I can get it in most bathrooms without taking doors off. beats keeping 2 drum machines on the van. If I did drain cleaning only it would be no trouble to keep 2 machines at the ready, but you know about space constraints.

I haven't used the K50 enough to say which I like better. it is light thats nice

Comment

I bet you would like this better then the K-50
                  This is my cordless machine

Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 12-26-2008, 08:26 PM.
                  http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

ACS, does it have a good ball bearing on the drum? Or is it just what I call a grease sleeve?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                      I bet you would like this better then the K-50
                      This is my cordless machine
                      I think that is the wip. Now for the big Question If a cordless drill works and a few guys are spinning 1.25'' cable with right angle drills, why do all the machines have such big heavy motors? I think you guys prove smaller lighter motors should work. Maybe

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                        I think that is the wip. Now for the big Question If a cordless drill works and a few guys are spinning 1.25'' cable with right angle drills, why do all the machines have such big heavy motors? I think you guys prove smaller lighter motors should work. Maybe

Nope! We won't know until rick shows up, gives the final word. Hell we might get 6 more K-60 threads started with him in the picture!

We certainly can't have all these drum machines on this site, this is just WRONG. It's 80/20 here and never forget it!!!

Quick, somebody nominate another thread!
                        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                          ACS, does it have a good ball bearing on the drum? Or is it just what I call a grease sleeve?

Thanks.

J.C.
                          It`s just got a grease sleeve
                          http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Back to the original question-If I need an extention hose, I use a piece of pvc pipe. Don't care to much for plastic dropcloths because the last section can grab the plastic. They do make a longer guide hose for the 5/8 10' cable. I'm fortunante to have the old style hose which is metal lined. Much better than the plain rubber hose of today.

Just had a thought-why don't you drum guys put 1 section of sectional cable on your drum cable to act as a flexible leader? You wouldn't have the speed or the lightweight factor involved but you would have the better cleaning action of the sectional cable.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                              Nope! We won't know until rick shows up, gives the final word. Hell we might get 6 more K-60 threads started with him in the picture!

We certainly can't have all these drum machines on this site, this is just WRONG. It's 80/20 here and never forget it!!!

Quick, somebody nominate another thread!
                              still waiting for the very first picture of dunbar.

you know they make panoramic cameras now

i use the timberwolf that's an 11 amp motor with a clutch spinning at 300 rpms. i doubt there is anything that can out power that drill.

even my general 88 has a gearbox direct drive with a 3/4h.p. motor and slip clutch. problem is it's heavy and rolls on the ground. has no way to do overhead work.

my 1500 has only been used a few times and it's sitting. sure it's the safest of the sectional big machines, but a timberwolf in the right hands is the trick.

then i have a 750 drum that's 12 volts and draws 40 amps. it's a good portable machine, but it's a drum and has the added battery weight.

the trick would be a 5.5 honda with gear box, reverse and with a safety clutch. that's something i've put a little thought into.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Name:  f36947b9b3fe1d200d3d524a81687a3c.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  29.3 KBName:  22398f0a74de18c5a42ff992697b24c1.gif
Size:  46.6 KB

Take that!

And here's when I was attractive:

I'm the tall dude in the back

Name:  64e52a69c30ab3bcb4370fe96b43e609.jpg
Size:  35.6 KB
                                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                                X