Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
K50? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: K50?

    as ben mentioned the newer rear k-50 guide hose sucks.

    it's too rubbery and it never lays out straight.

    just go buy some 3/4'' electrical water proof flex with the metal core. not the all plastic one. the trick is to keep the metal flex oiled so it doesn't rust stiff.

    as long as the rear guide hose is fairly straight, then you could load lots of sections. problem is it's not worth the effort to lay out the long, straight guide hose.

    a 5 gallon bucket is what i typically use indoors and it's fast and clean.

    keep in mind that a kitchen sink is by far the dirtiest fixture to clean and unless you're running water, there's a good chance that the cable ids going to be nasty, gunky.
    an outside c/o or roof vent prevents the indoor hassles.

    the christmas eve kitchen / shower stoppage was a 2'' line for 69'+ that took 2 runs of 7/8'' cable with water running to clear and clean it. the first pass cut the hole for the water to flow. the second pass cleaned it out with flowing water.

    depending on the total distance, and muck, a jetter is the best bet for kitchens, but also can be the messiest.

    rick.
    phoebe it is

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: K50?

      Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
      Stxrus, how did you deal with the smelly sludge that comes out of the drain pipe? I've never used a sectional and always wondered how do you keep the kitchen clean with those loose cables? Especially if you have to go back in with an already wet, sludgey cable.
      when retrieving i put a towel on the bottom of the cabinet and a 3 gal Rubber Maid pan under the stub. the carrier is also on a towel. i move the machine out of the way and pull back the cable as one piece and wind it into the carrier as i go. (Rick's 5 gal bucket trick doesn't work for me) i also try to wipe the cable with a rag as i go.

      if i have to go back in with a dirty cable i try to wipe it again and will use the guide hose (just not attached to the machine)to help contain any mess. i also have a spray bottle of Simple Green and a rag handy to get any spots that might occur.

      everytime someone mentions their problem is in a sink i just cringe. give me a tub/shower or a toilet anyday

      steve
      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

      Comment


      • #33
        Re: K50?

        Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        still waiting for the very first picture of dunbar.

        you know they make panoramic cameras now

        i use the timberwolf that's an 11 amp motor with a clutch spinning at 300 rpms. i doubt there is anything that can out power that drill.

        even my general 88 has a gearbox direct drive with a 3/4h.p. motor and slip clutch. problem is it's heavy and rolls on the ground. has no way to do overhead work.

        my 1500 has only been used a few times and it's sitting. sure it's the safest of the sectional big machines, but a timberwolf in the right hands is the trick.


        then i have a 750 drum that's 12 volts and draws 40 amps. it's a good portable machine, but it's a drum and has the added battery weight.

        the trick would be a 5.5 honda with gear box, reverse and with a safety clutch. that's something i've put a little thought into.


        rick.
        Mytana has a gas powered unit it's the M98. 4 hp kohler I don't know about all the extras. I don't have enough outside c/o to even consider it.

        Comment


        • #34
          Re: K50?

          Originally posted by stxrus View Post
          when retrieving i put a towel on the bottom of the cabinet and a 3 gal Rubber Maid pan under the stub. the carrier is also on a towel. i move the machine out of the way and pull back the cable as one piece and wind it into the carrier as i go. (Rick's 5 gal bucket trick doesn't work for me) i also try to wipe the cable with a rag as i go.

          if i have to go back in with a dirty cable i try to wipe it again and will use the guide hose (just not attached to the machine)to help contain any mess. i also have a spray bottle of Simple Green and a rag handy to get any spots that might occur.

          everytime someone mentions their problem is in a sink i just cringe. give me a tub/shower or a toilet anyday

          steve
          Sounds like to much work to me. I just stick a Rubber Maid pan under the stub and go to work with my machine when working in a cabinet. I try to do most of em from the roof vents but sometimes I have to drain the sink and pull the trap out and work it through the cabinet.
          I was thinking about getting a K-50 but I really dont want to have to take that much time just to clear a sink drain.
          http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: K50?

            All Clear, whatever works for you. i find the total cleanup from a nasty kitchen sink takes about 5 minutes and i almost always leave the cabinet cleaner than when i started.

            i explain to the client what i'm doing and quite often why i'm doing it. they like the information and it builds a nice bond between the client and myself.

            steve
            In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

            Comment


            • #36
              Re: K50?

              Most of our kitchens are on outside walls with outside clean outs. For those that aren't the trucks carried drop cloth runners (36" X 144") which were long enough to protect the floor by the kitchen and fit under the K-50 and cage. Generally for under the sink I would just lay down one of the plastic bus trays we carried on the truck.

              Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

              I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

              Comment


              • #37
                Re: K50?

                i don't care what machine you use.

                a kitchen sink with no water running and trap removed is the worst stoppage to do.

                i try to either do a vent or of course an outside c/o if they have one.

                out here most kitchens and laundry share the same 2'' line.

                i've done kitchens with 3/8'' drums and 5/8'' sectional from indoors.

                personally, i prefer the sectional in a kitchen. it's more flexible and the dirty cable goes into a bucket or bus tray to be washed outside.

                a tight wind drum cable is a mess inside the drum and stays nasty until the next time.

                i know that the sectional does a better job at cleaning than the drum.

                in fact even without a cutter on the sectional, it will still perform excellent.

                rick.
                phoebe it is

                Comment


                • #38
                  Re: K50?

                  I'll take all your messy sinks. I love sinks. I wish I had 10 sinks a day 4 days a week and nothing else. Or better yet 4 sinks a day; I could carry everything I need on a bicycle, get some exercise, and sell off all the other stuff.

                  This is it. I'm going to get a camcorder; they should be cheap right now. I'm going to make a vid for y'all of jetting a sink. I would never think of a cable in a sink unless I'd already tried and failed with the jetter, or it was threaded bends.

                  The sludge get liqified and runs out the roughin into your bucket; no muss, no fuss. Food and such floats back with it. I've jetted over 50 full double peanuts in the shell out of a vanity sink line (squirrel, roof vent). How long would you grind on those with a cable?

                  You know when you pop the clog; the water stops coming back. No going in 20 feet and pulling out and reassembling to find out you need to go 21 feet.

                  No swirling the grease around and getting drainage but leaving it still in there and having a comeback a few days later. I've followed more than one who got it open a few days earlier with a cable.
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Re: K50?

                    Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                    I'll take all your messy sinks. I love sinks. I wish I had 10 sinks a day 4 days a week and nothing else. Or better yet 4 sinks a day; I could carry everything I need on a bicycle, get some exercise, and sell off all the other stuff.

                    This is it. I'm going to get a camcorder; they should be cheap right now. I'm going to make a vid for y'all of jetting a sink. I would never think of a cable in a sink unless I'd already tried and failed with the jetter, or it was threaded bends.

                    The sludge get liqified and runs out the roughin into your bucket; no muss, no fuss. Food and such floats back with it. I've jetted over 50 full double peanuts in the shell out of a vanity sink line (squirrel, roof vent). How long would you grind on those with a cable?

                    You know when you pop the clog; the water stops coming back. No going in 20 feet and pulling out and reassembling to find out you need to go 21 feet.

                    No swirling the grease around and getting drainage but leaving it still in there and having a comeback a few days later. I've followed more than one who got it open a few days earlier with a cable.
                    The jetter sounds good. I like kitchen or lav drains also. for the sole reason of not having a heavy cable to carry around, almost the same money, and no chance of getting a cable stuck under a road!!!

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Re: K50?

                      Alex,
                      Put up the video along with the specs to your electric jetter. I can't wait to see this in action. If you impress me enough, I may go out and but an electric jetter just for kitchen sink stoppages. It seems all I'm doing with a cable is poking holes in the grease and not really washing it away.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Re: K50?

                        Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                        I'll take all your messy sinks. I love sinks. I wish I had 10 sinks a day 4 days a week and nothing else. Or better yet 4 sinks a day; I could carry everything I need on a bicycle, get some exercise, and sell off all the other stuff.

                        This is it. I'm going to get a camcorder; they should be cheap right now. I'm going to make a vid for y'all of jetting a sink. I would never think of a cable in a sink unless I'd already tried and failed with the jetter, or it was threaded bends.

                        The sludge get liqified and runs out the roughin into your bucket; no muss, no fuss. Food and such floats back with it. I've jetted over 50 full double peanuts in the shell out of a vanity sink line (squirrel, roof vent). How long would you grind on those with a cable?

                        You know when you pop the clog; the water stops coming back. No going in 20 feet and pulling out and reassembling to find out you need to go 21 feet.

                        No swirling the grease around and getting drainage but leaving it still in there and having a comeback a few days later. I've followed more than one who got it open a few days earlier with a cable.
                        OK, you have my attention and interest. now impress me.

                        steve
                        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Re: K50?

                          I think Ace uses an AR small electric jetter. Can be hand carried. About the size of a good tankless compressor. Could carry it in one hand. I found it one time Googling around. You should be able to find it.

                          Good luck.

                          J.C.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Re: K50?

                            Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

                            a tight wind drum cable is a mess inside the drum and stays nasty until the next time.
                            Not if you work for me You better be hitting the car wash asap. I never want to see a dirty machine in my truck or shop

                            I wash every thing once a week and if they get dirty between time, they will get washed as well

                            you cant ((Shouldn`t)) take a machine inside someones house with crap left on it from the last job


                            Rick I`m still waiting on the Video of the K-50 and the bucket ????
                            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Re: K50?

                              Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post


                              Rick I`m still waiting on the Video of the K-50 and the bucket ????

                              keep waiting as i've posted tons of photos of my k-60 and k-50.

                              video is not what i'm going to play with.

                              it took me a while to master the posting of photos. you can forget videos.

                              the sectionals are always clean either in the drain or with a hose if i go outside. they stay a lot cleaner than my drums ever could. nothing to collect inside of.

                              rick.
                              phoebe it is

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Re: K50?

                                OMG

                                Hey Rick
                                I bet my dog is bigger and meaner then yours


                                If you machines are so clean then you must not use em much.
                                I`d like to see you keep your K-60 clean clearing something like this

                                BTW ....I have seen your k-60 and it dosent look so nice

                                Heres your K-50 and looks like a mess on the flooring to me
                                Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 12-28-2008, 12:47 AM.
                                http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X