X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K50?

I just opened 2 drains with a K50 today. I have a couple questions. Why such a short guide hose why not 20' curled up? Why not two 20' guide hoses. Full of cable ready to go? I'm telling you I could get that thing working faster that way.

Both jobs went good. One was hole house blockage but not in the main. I sent the k50 through the shower drain to clear it. Nothing I wouldn't have done with the drum but it did carry in the house easier.

Re: K50?

the guide hose on the k-50 is a total joke/POS. i very seldom use it and when i do it isn't attached to the machine. it's just a buffer to not damage something.

the quality of the job NOT the speed in which it is done is more important to me. so it takes me almost 30 seconds to uncoil from the carrier a section, hook it to the existing section and start the push again. 6 sections takes almost 3 minutes to make the attachment.

today i cleared a blocked kitchen line that had food sludge and grease. i thought it was cleared at 21 feet but it wasn't. it took longer to reset the trap assembly and run water than it did to finally attach and push 6 cables and retrieve them.

BTW i'd much rather round up turds that deal with a kitchen sink. that stuff is just pure nasty

steve
    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
      the guide hose on the k-50 is a total joke/POS. i very seldom use it and when i do it isn't attached to the machine. it's just a buffer to not damage something.

the quality of the job NOT the speed in which it is done is more important to me. so it takes me almost 30 seconds to uncoil from the carrier a section, hook it to the existing section and start the push again. 6 sections takes almost 3 minutes to make the attachment.

today i cleared a blocked kitchen line that had food sludge and grease. i thought it was cleared at 21 feet but it wasn't. it took longer to reset the trap assembly and run water than it did to finally attach and push 6 cables and retrieve them.

BTW i'd much rather round up turds that deal with a kitchen sink. that stuff is just pure nasty

steve
      I do agree about quality verses speed, but am I wrong in my thinking with a couple of 20' guide hoses loaded with cable? It would be the same quality. you proved the 3 minutes is no big deal, but I would have to move around less. Those things matter to me and my knees and back.

It's just a thought.

By the way I would rather deal with a kitchen drain just because the money is almost the same and the 3/8 cable is way lighter then the 11/16. But I do dislike the smell of grease

Comment

Why don't you make yourself a long guide hose? All kinds of hose & couplings are around. You could probably come up with something.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          Why don't you make yourself a long guide hose? All kinds of hose & couplings are around. You could probably come up with something.

J.C.
          Why not just use a drum. Seems like a tone of hassle for a simple job.
          spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Originally posted by spodelee View Post
            Good question. Why not use a drum?

Maybe this is his only machine right now. Or maybe it's just what he prefers.

What say you saysflushable?

J.C.

Comment

J.C.
              I rent this k50 because I lost a very important part for my drum machine. I sure would make one if it was mine. I might do it anyhow

Comment

The guide hose was made for the 7.5' cables so there is no reason to have it longer. That said it would be easy to extend it to how ever long you want it with a piece of poly.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Stxrus, how did you deal with the smelly sludge that comes out of the drain pipe? I've never used a sectional and always wondered how do you keep the kitchen clean with those loose cables? Especially if you have to go back in with an already wet, sludgey cable.
                  "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                    I rent this k50 because I lost a very important part for my drum machine. I sure would make one if it was mine. I might do it anyhow
                    Hope you don't take this the wrong way but why don't you get the part? Pay extra for shipping and get it moving? If I had a moneymaker down that's what I would do.

J.C.

Comment

Hope you don't take this the wrong way but why don't you get the part? Pay extra for shipping and get it moving? If I had a moneymaker down that's what I would do.

J.C.
                      Or run down to home depot (puke) and buy a K-39 or K-400. You could pay for half of a k39 with the materials you will have to buy to rig up a long guide hose. Well, maybe not half... but then there's all your time and effort... you get the point.
                      spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Originally posted by spodelee View Post
                        The drum is what I use but the 5 times I've used a k50 I can see some advantages in certain situations. Like stxrus did I measured wrong and didn't go in far enough so I had to run further out the next time. My fault. I think having to hook and unhook less would make it that much better. I'm betting 5/8 open wind spinning 400RPM's would clear most kitchen blockages on the 1st pass. I don't always do that with my drum.

I'm just thinking it could be easier and faster with the long guide hoses

Comment

My k-380 is WAYYYYY faster than using a k-50. I did two drains with it today in record time. Gotta love the auto-feed. I just set the drum in front of the sink, step on the foot-switch, and push the auto-feed lever. Go in 50' or whatever is needed, pull the auto-feed lever to "reverse" and step on the foot-switch. Drain is cleared in seconds and there is no mess. Just wheel the K-380 out to the truck...done.
                          I have plenty of K-50 experience in the past, and doing kitchen sinks with it is a total nightmare in contrast to the ease of K-380. Don't get me wrong, sectional cables are great at cleaning and they have their place. But in most scenarios I'd rather use a drum with auto-feed and save a ton of time.
                          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

J.C.
                            oh boy the part is on the way! I know this K50 is always available to me and I was hoping the part would turn up. So I waited a few days. I don't like renting the machine but it is nice trying before I buy.

Comment

What kind of drum are you using? Which do you like better, the k-50 or the drum? Just curious.
                              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Working...
                              X