Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Oldest pump truck???

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Oldest pump truck???

    Could this be the oldest pump truck? It's my dad's!

    1961 Chevrolet. (I think this is right. Put on a different hood he liked better) Estimated about 500,000 miles. Not sure though. 1 new engine back in the early 70's. Then rebuilt in the late 80's. The mechanic said when he dropped the oil pan you could see daylight around the pistons. Yep, she was a refinery by then.

    Big inline 6. Four speed with a 2 speed axle. Transmission & rearend has never been touched to my knowledge since it was bought used in the late 60's. Why do new ones give problems???

    Been a pumper since about 1970 so I guess you could say my Pop has been pumping before pumping became "cool".

    The first pump/tank combination was ran by a Wisconsin pony engine on the back. If it got wet Jesus with a can of ether couldn't get it cranked.

    This is a more updated PTO driven system.

    You know those big Kodiak, Kenworth, etc with the Cat engines you see that pump now? This truck does the same thing.

    Just thought it might interest some.

    J.C.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-18-2010, 11:43 PM.

  • #2
    Re: Oldest pump truck???

    It still looks pretty sharp considering the age.
    It's amazing how long things can last if you take care of them, well..back when they built things to last anyway.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Oldest pump truck???

      It's great to have that kind of history behind you. Don't you dare sell that off! Restore it one day and use it as a marketing tool.
      spodelee

      Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Oldest pump truck???

        Mines old but not that old...cool truck
        I have a ford 9000 with a 3300 tank Thats a lot of crap
        I`m getting ready to paint mine this spring.
        Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 12-27-2008, 08:21 PM.
        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Oldest pump truck???

          What do you guys charge for pumping a septic and what do you do with the crap when you're done?
          spodelee

          Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Oldest pump truck???

            Originally posted by spodelee View Post
            What do you guys charge for pumping a septic and what do you do with the crap when you're done?
            Don't discuss prices 'cause I get tired of the debates about it being too much or too little. No offense.

            Here you are required to take it to the local approved treatment facility. In short, the city sewer treatment plant. Then they treat it and turn it back into the water they drink.

            You can handle it privately but that is regulated enough that I don't think it would be worth it here.

            J.C.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Oldest pump truck???

              When I was a pipelayer we did a huge job in a town. I'd be in the hole and all of a sudden I'd have a huge surge of sewer like some one forgot about a pump station. Made a mess of my trench and it really sucked when I was bricking a SMH.
              A few years later the sewer dept happened to hear a pumper turn on and then noticed the increase flow. They walked up the guys driveway and found him hooked to a 6" clean out he installed at his home. He'd been dumping like this for at least 5 years that I know of but the town could only prove a short time. He ended up paying $3000.
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Oldest pump truck???

                Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                It still looks pretty sharp considering the age.
                It's amazing how long things can last if you take care of them, well..back when they built things to last anyway.

                Isn't that the truth. I had a 67, 71, 72, and 68 chevrolet trucks back in the late 80's, early 90's.

                The parts were "reasonable" but once it went into 1973, the engineers should of had their heads cut off, one by one.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Oldest pump truck???

                  Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                  When I was a pipelayer we did a huge job in a town. I'd be in the hole and all of a sudden I'd have a huge surge of sewer like some one forgot about a pump station. Made a mess of my trench and it really sucked when I was bricking a SMH.
                  A few years later the sewer dept happened to hear a pumper turn on and then noticed the increase flow. They walked up the guys driveway and found him hooked to a 6" clean out he installed at his home. He'd been dumping like this for at least 5 years that I know of but the town could only prove a short time. He ended up paying $3000.
                  BIG NO NO! Someone here has done that in the past but never caught. Last I heard they've stopped as word of the big fines have been told.

                  J.C.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Oldest pump truck???

                    Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    Don't discuss prices 'cause I get tired of the debates about it being too much or too little. No offense.

                    Here you are required to take it to the local approved treatment facility. In short, the city sewer treatment plant. Then they treat it and turn it back into the water they drink.

                    You can handle it privately but that is regulated enough that I don't think it would be worth it here.

                    J.C.
                    what does it cost to dump in your area? You know, there in in "Nunya"
                    spodelee

                    Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Oldest pump truck???

                      Originally posted by spodelee View Post
                      what does it cost to dump in your area? You know, there in in "Nunya"


                      Here, the charge is $300 to pump a tank.


                      Disposal fee is around $175 to dump.



                      That guy who was dumping for years into his main sewer?


                      That guy made an absolute KILLING!


                      Truth be told, that sewage ended up the same place it was intended to go, he just beat the rap of all those fees.
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Oldest pump truck???

                        Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                        Here, the charge is $300 to pump a tank.


                        Disposal fee is around $175 to dump.



                        That guy who was dumping for years into his main sewer?


                        That guy made an absolute KILLING!


                        Truth be told, that sewage ended up the same place it was intended to go, he just beat the rap of all those fees.
                        Thanks DB - it would take a long time to pay for a pumping rig wouldn't it? I think I'll pass on any aspirations to buy a rig!
                        spodelee

                        Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Oldest pump truck???

                          here we dump at the city sewer treatment plant and the cost is 15.00 a truck load

                          We charge any where around a 100 to 150.00 to pump up to 1000 gallons. If you have 2 tanks then we charge another 85.00 for the 2nd one.
                          http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Oldest pump truck???

                            All of the companies here charge $270-300 for a 1000 gallon tank. There is an extra fee in increments of 250 gallons, and they are all within 10%. Most everyone in the north of the county has septic, it gets dumped in a sewer manhole in the south of the county.

                            The other add ons are digging by the cu ft (I think $30 if I remember correctly) and bioclean @ $65/gallon.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Oldest pump truck???

                              Originally posted by spodelee View Post
                              what does it cost to dump in your area? You know, there in in "Nunya"
                              I believe Nunya is a suburb of F'In Bidness.....

                              Although most people mistakenly think it's the capital of MuthaF'In Business...

                              I'm thinking of moving to Dayum, Skippy........(say it slowly)....
                              I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X