X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Drain Cutter

What do you use on the end of your cable for your final pass?

Or for roots? Do you prefer something that cuts them or grabs them?

Links & pics help.

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Last Drain Cutter

Spear first if I don't know what I'm into yet or haven't done the drain,

then I use the appropriate cutter after that, 2 to 3 passes as needed as the drum machine does it all.

Ain't no damn way I'd connect disconnect cables leading out to 30,50,90 feet 3 damn times. My black handled wonderjoy fixes all that.

Ba-Ding! Send it home sonny.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

For the last pass I use a cutter as big as the pipe and run to the end. I use to use the 3 X 6 cutter but when it hits roots it just folds up and expands again after it passes the roots. I still use it on grease or soap clogs. If I cannot get a head as big as the pipe I use a retrieval head that I bend bigger around. But if I cant get a cutter as big as the pipe down I don't guarantee it. The first time I go back I don't charge If I get the full size head through for 30 Days, and I don't like redoing a job for free. So I work it out the first time when I am getting paid for it.

Comment

I do almost the exact same as Gtmerkley.
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

for a main sewer 4'' clean out, i run a 4'' x 3'' offset pear cutter. or a 3.5'' spiral root saw.

if the issue is in the 6'' lateral/ sidewalk to center of street, i'll run a 4'' x 6'' expanding cutter. usually this is after i've done a video of the line before. then i know exactly what the line looks like and the total distance to the problems and city main saddle.

i always try to run a full size cutter on my first pass. if i've been there before, i have all my job notes in the computer and know what works and what didn't.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I use a 3" double blade on the first pass and if it wont go I step down then go back with the 3" again.
            Most of the time I only have to make one pass if I can get the 3" double blade down on a 4" sewer.
            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Get this,

When I was a union service plumber, my boss recommended using the spring retriever attachment on "known" toilet paper packed lines.

It would work, given the idea it would close up right behind the attachment.

That's where the blow up sack made work sooo easy.

Comment

I like to start with a 2 1/2" single arrow head then run a 3" C cutter Then go to the next size up till I get to the last C cutter that will fit. Running a big cutter first always got me stuck and them round spiral cutters would get roots around them and hang in a tight spot I only use them if a C cutter wont go down since I started using the C cutters I haven't been stuck once that I couldn't get unstuck. I use the 2 blade arrow if there is cement in the trap or the pipe is rusted shut under the floor or need to steer the cable up the line from a clean out. I have trouble with a 2 bladed cutter holding them big soap chunks back. But every job is deferent my box is full of cutters I made to get through a certain drain every shape and size. I got one I made out of an old coal furnace auger to get wet corn out of corn bins so the bins auger could be put back in to get the corn out. This is one job that calls for a person to use there imagination and You got to think up a solution or invent something in about 15 minutes that would take a team years to come up with. I love that part it puts you to the test.

Comment

I go with a 4 bladed cutter first then go with either the spiral saw blade or the G17 3x4 cutter.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                    I use a 3" double blade on the first pass and if it wont go I step down then go back with the 3" again.
                    Most of the time I only have to make one pass if I can get the 3" double blade down on a 4" sewer.
                    Great avatar picture. you do us other Neanderthals morons proud. What is he saying?.

Comment

Originally posted by gtmerkley View Post
                      Great avatar picture. you do us other Neanderthals morons proud. What is he saying?.

http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

I always wondered what it said. I nominate it grand poo-bah of avatars.

Comment

Good one

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                            I go with a 4 bladed cutter first then go with either the spiral saw blade or the G17 3x4 cutter.
                            ben it's only a g17 when no one else knows what it is

i start with the spiral root saw or 3x4''.

the 4 blade i save for mush. roots are the most common here for sewer stoppages.

just made up a g17 2x3''
                            phoebe it is

Comment

I like going in 1st with the 4 bladed cutter because they skip over offsets and are hard to get stuck. I can feel the line's condition then decide what cutter to go from there. Kinda a exploratory cutter. The 4 bladed cutter will still grab enough so I know the cause of the stoppage. If I don't feel any offsets, then it goes to the spiral saw and the G17 if I do.

The first rule of the G17 club is that you don't talk about who's in the g17 club.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X