X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a Drum Auger???

I was working at a job today changing out fixtures. Noticed the toilets wouldn't flush right etc. etc.

So when I pulled them there was standing water at the bottom of the CI elbow on both. BUT you could not make the line back up with water. Poured several buckets in as fast as you could. Hmmmm..... I go get the General Wire I95. I know-it's not Ridgid.

I run the open wind 7/8" with the double cutter past both W/C in the plumbing. Still, water in the 90's.

So I go beat the brass C.O. into submission that's about mid way in the main line underneath. It's about 3/4 filled with paper & crap. I estimate about 20'-25' of this mess. So I have someone operate the drain machine while I watch in the C.O. I watched the cable move right through this mush 'til it reached about a 3' drop in the plumbing. It DID NOT move much with it. I tell them to pour a bucket of water in the drain and just let the cable sit in one place and run. I watched the open wind sectional auger the material down the line to the drop and get things moving.

I've been checking drums out with autofeed lately. Will use both types as I think necessary. My question is:

Can a drum be setup to auger like this?
    Would putting a section of open wind on the end work? In this situation I needed about 20'.

Thanks for all input.

J.C.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 12-29-2008, 08:09 PM.

Re: Can a Drum Auger???

if you got one of these then "YES"
    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

I have been having good luck with the bulb head on mush too. But some times I will put on some 1 1/2" cable to work it up faster, but you need enough of it to reach both ends of the mush so as you push out the mush you will be bringing in water to mix with the mush. I clean down to the mush with the drum cutter or as long as the 1 1/2" cable is then shove it down and hook it up to the machine and when the water starts to go I let it there till the water stops and then run it in farther till it opens then run it ahead on down. The bulb has been working good so I might not need the other cable anymore, but I will keep it for now.

Comment

The double-cutter was the wrong head to use on paper mush. A large paddle-bit (4-blade cutter and K-60 is one of the best) works really well on mush. Or a large auger head.
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

j.c. what all clear seems not to mention is that a drum only spins at 200 rpm. a sectional k-60 spins at 625 rpm. the cable is a continuous auger plus the bulb head. not just a 4'' long bulb on a 200 rpm tight wind cable.

when you have sludge, a jetter or a sectional is the best choice.
          i prefer a 4 blade cutter over the bulb for sludge.

i will give you a prime example of todays stoppage.

3'' branch line affecting the downstairs office toilet. backs p when the second floor kitchen or third floor guest bathroom is used.

no cleanout and the toilet is full. not to mention that this is a very expensive black toilet on a very expensive floor that i was not too keen on touching.

so what can i do

remove the trap in the lav sink and run my k-60 with reverse auger into the 2 x 1.5 x 1.5 abs san tee not 5/8'' cable, but 7/8'' cable

after i saw the toilet level drop at 38' in, i continued to 60' and pulled it back clean. because of the potential disaster of this toilet overflowing 3 times in the past 1.5 years, i camered the line. what did i find?

the upper floor tie in appears to be a san tee on its back and is causing the waste to enter into the horizontal main and splashes both up and downstream. this is creating a sludge stoppage in the lower level that is not getting flushed out downstream.

by the way, this was my first time snaking this area of the house.

the last time was a couple weeks ago when i removed the strainer from the 2'' laundry line. see "and the oscar goes to"

so to sum it all up, any person who knows what they're doing should be able to clean a drain.

having the best equipment for the particular job is what makes the job go smoothly and leaves the customer pleased to know what caused his movie screening room to get flooded in the past.

a jetter is best for sludge, followed by a sectional, followed by a drum.

they can argue all they want, but the ones who own all these different machines will agree with me 100%. and the ones that don't will come up with every excuse why they don't

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

j.c. what Rick seems not to mention is that a drum in the right hands will make him look silly

I`ve never had trouble clearing mush @ 200 rpm, maybe I know what I`m doing
            Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 12-30-2008, 03:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post

I`ve never had trouble clearing mush 200 rpm maybe I know what I`m doing
              Thats not what my son said ....you know I luv you ......right and Rick

He said you needed a long sweep to make that cable work better

Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
              New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

I think that one run`s a little faster then 200 rpm. I`m sure Rick will look it up for us

Comment

I think that one run`s a little faster then 200 rpm. I`m sure Rick will look it up for us
                  I can hear him calculating the speed now on his calculator
                  Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                  New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                    The double-cutter was the wrong head to use on paper mush. A large paddle-bit (4-blade cutter and K-60 is one of the best) works really well on mush. Or a large auger head.

j.c. what Rick seems not to mention is that a drum in the right hands will make him look silly

I`ve never had trouble clearing mush 200 rpm maybe I know what I`m doing
                    if you don't trust me, you don't trust carl either

funny part he also owns your machine of choice and my machine of choice.

i guess you know more than real licensed plumbers. not to mention you defy the laws of physics.

maybe sell a tire off that monster truck and buy a k-60.

i'll tell you what. if you don't think it does a better job and is a keeper, i'll buy it from you. you have nothing to lose but your pride.

you're not the first person i've made this offer to. and guess what?

no one has asked me to buy it back.

you'd be a fool not to try it.

cash limit of $1300. as new condition. does not include shipping or tax.

that's the fine print

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

your not what ((( I ))) would call a Real licensed plumber, Mr Contractor

Thanks for the offer on the buy back but I piss off more then the cost of a K-60 in just one weekend of racing so the cost is not keeping me from buying one.

3 things are holding me from trying one

#1. You. cant let you have that

#2. I have never came a crossed a job that required a change in machines

#3. I like to make money, not wast time

Well I gotta go do a sewer install for some poor people, (They dont live on the coast line)

Comment

then why did it take so long for you to buy a new 7500 especially when it was broken?

if all i did was sewers, i would certainly have more than 1 working main line machine in stock.

it's called a back up. so it's a back up for a back up

i'm glad you see the need to replace than repair.

funny as rich people or poor people get the same treatment from me. straight real answers.

i guess if you own 2 excavators you're interested in replacement and not service. maybe that's why you don't want a k-60

happy digging

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

your not what ((( I ))) would call a Real licensed plumber, Mr Contractor

Thanks for the offer on the buy back but I piss off more then the cost of a K-60 in just one weekend of racing so the cost is not keeping me from buying one.

3 things are holding me from trying one

#1. You. cant let you have that

#2. I have never came a crossed a job that required a change in machines

#3. I like to make money, not wast time

Well I gotta go do a sewer install for some poor people, (They dont live on the coast line)
                          Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          then why did it take so long for you to buy a new 7500 especially when it was broken?

if all i did was sewers, i would certainly have more than 1 working main line machine in stock.

it's called a back up. so it's a back up for a back up

i'm glad you see the need to replace than repair.

funny as rich people or poor people get the same treatment from me. straight real answers.

i guess if you own 2 excavators you're interested in replacement and not service. maybe that's why you don't want a k-60

happy digging

rick.
                          Both of you guys need to learn to grow up just a bit. I'm sure a lot of this bantering back and forth is in fun but it's not fun for the rest of us. It is okay for reasonable people to disagree without adding personal attacks.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I honestly just wanted to know if you could get a drum to auger like open wind sectionals.

As I watched the cable go through, it didn't look like any type of head would have move the stuff and the only thing that did was the open winds augering.

Just thought it might be handy to be able to do it with a drum if possible.

J.C.

Comment

One of the advantages of an open wind cable is it will act like a screw conveyor and move the stuff. The disadvantage (or advantage) is it will also collect all of the stuff if it is thick enough. A drum cable will not have the same effect but they both will clean drains.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                              X