Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The heck is wrong with me?

13 hours in a clogged tub.

2 1/2 by meself, failed.

Came back with helper, spent 5+ the two of us.

Finally gave up and whacked a wall.

mixed commercial/residential multi unit building, cast iron no hub, snake keeps getting diverted up vent. tried all sorts of 2" stacks in garage below, never found right one (there wasnt one, it hits a 4" before dropping) jetted the hell out of it, getting cast iron back, never got through it. Finally cut wall, disassemble, got a long sweep 90 packed full end to end with chunks o cast iron, about a foot of horizontal beyond it the same.

Then, like 2 days later, 4 3/4 hour on a clogged shower. two showers, back to back, 3 stalls each with 2 drains each. snakes all four holes, just go into another drain, crawled up to the attic, cut the only likely looking vent, not it. tried jetting, finally got it open but just by running jetter across the back to back, never got anything thru clog.

I can take an *** whupping once in a while, but 2 in 3 days?
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: The heck is wrong with me?

alex, once i a while i get the stoppage from hell.

the ones that piss me off are the side by side lavs that are dirty armed in the wall and they used a cross and not a figure fitting.

snake keeps going from 1 to the other. finding a vent is the way out.

same issue with a double 1/4 bend.

problem is no one is thinking about the guy that needs to eventually clean this line

sometimes a camera up the line gives you a clue to what is happening.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

OUCH Ace,
      Rough couple of days. Don't doubt your self over two jobs.
      Grab some C-4 and head for the woods. 1 KA POW for the first tough job,
      one BOOM for the 2nd tough one, and a third KA BOOOOOOOOM for the 3rd one that is sure to come

GOOD LUCK!
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Dude,

One time I was doing a stoppage call in a supermarket and I was unclogging the meat drains in the meat section, wanna talk about nasty

But yea, there are some tuff stoppages .
        Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
        New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          alex, once i a while i get the stoppage from hell.

the ones that piss me off are the side by side lavs that are dirty armed in the wall and they used a cross and not a figure fitting.

snake keeps going from 1 to the other. finding a vent is the way out.

same issue with a double 1/4 bend.

problem is no one is thinking about the guy that needs to eventually clean this line

sometimes a camera up the line gives you a clue to what is happening.

rick.
          You mean to tell me they did that somewhere other than a military base? I work at a 50's vintage Air Base with two dormitories, 24 unit apartment complex and 16 duplexes. If there are two sinks-they are connected "dirty armed" (a new but applicable term to me). The dorms have a sink in each room, back to back, each apartment has two bedrooms/sinks and the duplexes have two sinks in each bathroom.
          I call myself a "don't-wannabe plumber" (good enough for CBC, but thats it), so I have some sinks in the apartments that don't get used, cause the plug is after the dirty arm in the floor somewhere.
          In the dorms, after the dirty arm is a six inch drop to a twelve inch horizontal connector to the main. I have cut quite a few pipes/inserted a cleanout behind the mirror/over the dirty arm (more involved than is worthy of this post) in order to get to the clog in the connector.
          In the duplexes I have to cut the three inch drain in the basement (quite the mess) in order to run back up the line and pull the clog from below the dirty arm.
          Your post was an encouragement to me. I really didn't think they could be that stupid elsewhere in the country. Not that we have a lock on stupid here in KC
          God Bless You Super Good!!!

Comment

Can someone show a dirty arm?
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

tool, i just needed to do it

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

a dirty arm is the section of pipe that extends from the san tee across the wall, that's unvented. it's max length under the upc is 3'6'' for 1.5'' pipe and 5' for 2'' pipe.

it has a 45 or similar offset in it.

prime example is when you stub out on the other side of a window and need to extend the waste across the wall to center the trap.

the extended pipe is a dirty arm.

if it just came out of the wall to the trap, we call that a trap arm.

a back to back is easy to see the drop of the cable down the stck. a dirty arm is pretty much impossible to see the drop and if they install an illegal fitting. the cable will go straight and not down.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

tool, i just needed to do it

rick.

Wow . , thats a pretty decent shot ,
                  Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                  New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Originally posted by davevb View Post
                    You mean to tell me they did that somewhere other than a military base? I work at a 50's vintage Air Base with two dormitories, 24 unit apartment complex and 16 duplexes. If there are two sinks-they are connected "dirty armed" (a new but applicable term to me). The dorms have a sink in each room, back to back, each apartment has two bedrooms/sinks and the duplexes have two sinks in each bathroom.
                    I call myself a "don't-wannabe plumber" (good enough for CBC, but thats it), so I have some sinks in the apartments that don't get used, cause the plug is after the dirty arm in the floor somewhere.
                    In the dorms, after the dirty arm is a six inch drop to a twelve inch horizontal connector to the main. I have cut quite a few pipes/inserted a cleanout behind the mirror/over the dirty arm (more involved than is worthy of this post) in order to get to the clog in the connector.
                    In the duplexes I have to cut the three inch drain in the basement (quite the mess) in order to run back up the line and pull the clog from below the dirty arm.
                    Your post was an encouragement to me. I really didn't think they could be that stupid elsewhere in the country. Not that we have a lock on stupid here in KC
                    Watch them military bases. Before they call a cleaner there suppose to pour battery acid in the line to see if it will open it. Some they keep a guard with a gun on you.

Comment

Boy I think we all get them slumps. It makes you feel like a beginner and shakes the old confidence in your self and your equipment. But just about every time it is because of the way the pipe is put in. When I get these lines I go back to the basic's sometimes it is because you are doing it right that it don't open Ill try doing it backward's run the machine in reverse use the wrong head go in the wrong clean out place. And this about always will get it open. If it is put in wrong you have to clean it wrong. I don't like to do it that way but sometimes you got no choice. But it sure don't make you feel good when one of them clogs win the fight when you use every trick you know and spent all that time and hard work

Comment

Working...
                      X