Drain clean machine combo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drain clean machine combo

Funny thing I should post this thread last night. Today we ran a call for a plugged WC in a very small print shop, which is next door to a donut shop.

The WC is stuffed in a very small closet (see attached fuzzy pic) . No clean out available and had to pull the WC. My plumber pulled out the K400 and went to work but couldn't clear the line. He then ran a camera down the line and found a grease ball 23' out at a tee to the lateral. At this point he calls me and I tell him to use the K60 with a spade. He begrudgingly says, OK, and I decide I better head that direction.

By the time I got there he cleared the line and was in the process of running the camera again. The attached fuzzy pic demonstrates how tight the space was and I have to say, the idea of trying to manipulate 15' cables in such a tight space really doesn't make allot of sense (at our skill level anyway).

Next we ran the lateral that the WC tied into at the tee, which serves the grease and sugar producing donut shop (that does not have a grease interceptor). This time we work from the parking lot with the K60 and that cleaning went wam, bam thank you pam!

Needless to say... I ordered a K7500 today. Thanks for all of your input!
    Attached Files
    spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      since i'm the only one up with you

here is my real life answers.

for a pro, get pro equipment. the 750 is good, but the 7500 is for the pros.

the 400 is the last machine i would use.

here's the reason.

it either runs 3/8'' or 1/2'' cable.

the machine's capabilities are limited to non root stoppages. only good for soft stoppages in 1.5''- 3''.

i have a general 1/2'' x 100' machine that was the least used machine i owned.

i do hard stoppages with my k-60 using 7/8'' cable in lines from 1.5''-6'' it does roots and does a great job on sludge.

there is no other machine that is as universal as the k-60.

skip the 400 as it's too small for the big stuff and and too big for the small stuff. go with a 7500 if you want a large drum.

or better yet. have the guy learn the tips and tricks of the k-60 and he'll appreciate it's speed,adaptability, cleanliness, and portability.

honestly, the issues he's having is from lack of experience in using this type of machine.

remember if home depot is selling the k400, it's for lite duty use. it's not a commercial machine and it's a size that is just too small to be good.

a k-60 will eat a k-400 for breakfast, lunch and dinner, 7 days a week.

there's a reason the 400 is $400. and the 60 is $1500.

rick.
      Plumber Rick, Sir, Plumber Extraordinaire, Master of the K60 and so much more... I have to say that you make me proud <tear>!

You did an excellent job at providing a fair analysis (as per my request) while resisting with all of your might to glorify the that mighty machine that you so adore. You slipped a little near the end, but none the less, you definitely made Joey proud. I'm sure of it!

Now, next week I will be in Disneyland on Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday and you can expect a call from the same on one of these days. I have concocted an exceptional plan to plug a water closet with such an atrocity that only the mighty K60 can handle. Don't ask why Mickey is going to call you, but you can be assured that he will, because it has been "arranged".

Why would I go to such trouble you ask? I want to see you in action, in the flesh, K60 in hand and ready to rumble!
      spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Originally posted by spodelee View Post
        Plumber Rick, Sir, Plumber Extraordinaire, Master of the K60 and so much more... I have to say that you make me proud <tear>!

You did an excellent job at providing a fair analysis (as per my request) while resisting with all of your might to glorify the that mighty machine that you so adore. You slipped a little near the end, but none the less, you definitely made Joey proud. I'm sure of it!

Now, next week I will be in Disneyland on Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday and you can expect a call from the same on one of these days. I have concocted an exceptional plan to plug a water closet with such an atrocity that only the mighty K60 can handle. Don't ask why Mickey is going to call you, but you can be assured that he will, because it has been "arranged".

Why would I go to such trouble you ask? I want to see you in action, in the flesh, K60 in hand and ready to rumble!
        My family is planning a trip to Disneyland on Saturday. Maybe I should go and scope out which water closet to plug.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          My family is planning a trip to Disneyland on Saturday. Maybe I should go and scope out which water closet to plug.

Mark
          That is a pregnant idea as you have in depth knowledge of Rick's skill sets and more importantly... his limitations!
          spodelee

Comment

That is a pregnant idea as you have in depth knowledge of Rick's skill sets and more importantly... his limitations!
            By the way as you travel through Santa Clarita wave towards the north side of the freeway. If you don't see me wave back, I might not have seen you.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
              My K-380 does a better job because I use 3/8" cable instead of that dinky cable steve uses.
              I have and can stuff 50` of 1/2 cable in it
              http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                here's the issue i see with steves set up.

how do you control the drill to start and stop. do you need a hand on the switch, or a zip tie? if there was a remote switch to free up the switch hand, then it's safer. Hand on the drill

the drill motor either has a high speed low torque or low speed higher torque range.

i know that the drill trying to start and stop a 75' cable requires a lot more torque to get it up to speed. the ideal range of speed for a drum is approx. 200 rpm. a 380 spins at 190 rpm under no load with a 1/3 h.p motor. how do you maintain the required speed without your hand on the drill? that only leaves 1 hand to feed and retrieve the cable. Yep only one free hand just like your so loved K-60 and any other sewer machine I use. I always have one hand on the power feed and one on the cable when using my K-7500, K-380 and so on

my 12 volt 750 machine is a true 1/2 h.p motor and draws 40 amps under load. has a foot control and reverse. still maintains the auto feed.

of course i run a deep cycle battery to power this up.

rick.
                Drill Specifications
                (4.8 lbs.)
                1/2" single sleeve ratcheting chuck
                Dual speed ranges of 0 to 500 RPM
                0 to 1,700 RPM
                High performance frameless motor delivers maximum power of 410 UWO (unit watts out)

Power is one thing it`s not lacking
                Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 01-01-2009, 02:36 AM.
                http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

The attached fuzzy pic demonstrates how tight the space was and I have to say, the idea of trying to manipulate 15' cables in such a tight space really doesn't make allot of sense (at our skill level anyway).
                  Glad you got a 7500 but that space wasn't really that tight. In case it happens again, the roof vent wasn't a possibility?
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                    Glad you got a 7500 but that space wasn't really that tight. In case it happens again, the roof vent wasn't a possibility?
                    Thought about that, but being new years eve and the roof being 20' up and then 6' down the parapet wall... naghhh

I am definitely a creature of comfort
                    Last edited by spodelee; 01-01-2009, 12:08 PM.
                    spodelee

Comment

Working...
                    X