X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain clean machine combo

Ok, in my quest to roll out our plumbing division, I have purchased two k60s, two k39s and one k400. We started with the 39 & 60 and recently added the 400 on a whim while browsing in HD (puke)

I seem to have created a new financial burden as my plumber has fallen in love with the k400. Consequently, he is using the 400 when he should be using the k60 and I guess I need to fix that. Now that he is spoiled, I figure the easiest way to solve the problem is to buy a k750. Question is - does he really need to carry the 39, 60, 400 & 750 on his truck? Or, maybe the 39, 60 & 750 are enough? I know if I pull the 400, he'll favor the 750 and will tend to use it where he shouldn't. On the other hand, he is using the 400 now when he should use the 60 or a 750. Bottom line is that realistically the k60 will be reserved for rooftops and tight spaces. So what is your experience, is their value in having every machine on the truck, or is there a combination of drum and sectional that works for you.

Since everyone knows what Rick is going to say, he is hereby relieved from responding to this post <grin>

Correction, Rick can post in this thread but he must say at least one positive thing about drums and one negative thing about a k60 (for mental balance Joey, I figure you can appreciate that) LOL
    Last edited by spodelee; 12-31-2008, 03:44 AM.
    spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Re: Drain clean machine combo

since i'm the only one up with you

here is my real life answers.

for a pro, get pro equipment. the 750 is good, but the 7500 is for the pros.

the 400 is the last machine i would use.

here's the reason.

it either runs 3/8'' or 1/2'' cable.

the machine's capabilities are limited to non root stoppages. only good for soft stoppages in 1.5''- 3''.

i have a general 1/2'' x 100' machine that was the least used machine i owned.

i do hard stoppages with my k-60 using 7/8'' cable in lines from 1.5''-6'' it does roots and does a great job on sludge.

there is no other machine that is as universal as the k-60.

skip the 400 as it's too small for the big stuff and and too big for the small stuff. go with a 7500 if you want a large drum.

or better yet. have the guy learn the tips and tricks of the k-60 and he'll appreciate it's speed,adaptability, cleanliness, and portability.

honestly, the issues he's having is from lack of experience in using this type of machine.

remember if home depot is selling the k400, it's for lite duty use. it's not a commercial machine and it's a size that is just too small to be good.

a k-60 will eat a k-400 for breakfast, lunch and dinner, 7 days a week.

there's a reason the 400 is $400. and the 60 is $1500.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I would keep the K400 we use it on all our sink and laundry jobs. I would go with the 7500 over the 750 we have both and the stair climber alone on the 7500 is worth the extra investment. Leave the K60 as well. Rick is right. We use the 7500 only on soft blockages. The sectional will always do the hard blockage with out a problem.

Comment

I use my K-380 (the old version of the K-400) for almost all of my kitchen sink and washing machine clogs. There is nothing wrong with the machine. You shouldn't worry that your employee is using one machine more then the other. My sledge hammer almost never gets used, should I find a way to use it on every job? It sounds silly when I say it like that, but it's the same thing with sewer machines. Put as many sewer machines on the truck as you have the space to allow for, so you know that you have the right machine for that job.

I don't own one, but from looking at them at the store, I would pick the K-7500 over the K-750. I went with the K-60 myself because it fit better on my truck then the K-7500 would have.

Now I know what I'm going to say next can be fighting words around here, so go easy on me. The drum versus sectional debate gets irritating reading about every other day. The reason Ridgid and the other companies make so many different drain machines that can do the same thing is that different people will have different preferences. I think people tend to forget that around here.

Comment

My 380 (400) now sleeps in the shop as I found that I never use it any more.
          All you`ll need is the 7500 and the 39 on most jobs.
          If you think you spoiled him with the 400, wait till he gets a real drum machine
          Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 12-31-2008, 12:21 PM.
          http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
            My 380 (400) now sleeps in the shop as I found that I never use it any more.
            If you think you spoiled with the 400, wait till he gets a real drum machine

we agree

must be a new years resolution

or you liked what i said

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

LOL Rick, I didn`t even see what you said...lol
              Think I`ll go back and look at it now

Comment

It was ok but I see your still pushing the K-60....rotflmao
                Other then that

Comment

Wrong. How do you clean a 75 foot kitchen or laundry drain with a 39? I use the K-380 all the time.
                  Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I would go with the 7500 as it sounds like he just wants to carry one thing in and start drilling not walk to the van two or three times and get the stuff , the 7500 is kind of the lazy mans machine. It puts the cable in for you and pulls it out. I never had any problem with it having a lack of power but it is heavy so if there is any going down stairs you will ether need 2 men or put less cable in the drum and adding more cable is a hassle. I liked the K 60 plenty of power I could carry it anywhere and it was good on mush. The problem I had was when I ordered mine the K 60 had just changed from the old style to the new style and there were a few bugs that they hadn't worked out yet the back bearing would always freeze up If you didn't take the back off and clean it every day. Isn't it back to Ridgid and they retrofitted it with grease zerks but it still had to be cleaned some times after every job. The second problem I had with it was the customer would look at it and ask don't you have a bigger machine. I tried to explain that it was all motor just trimmed of all unneeded wight but the motor was just as big as one you wheel in, They still didn't like it being so small. I have pulled out on one drain a 31' a 27' and a 19' root. but that didn't mater they wanted a big machine so they started calling the guy's with the 75's. but what my point is if the K 60 has not changed is he going to be the type that will maintain it. once you get the K 60 set up you can drill faster with it, but the 7500 you can sit down and let the machine do the hard work. I had to retire my K 60 and put my 1500 back in service I did buy an older suitcase type off Ebay but it was wore out and after fixing it I never carried it as I got my 7500 by that time but if your man isn't going to do a drain right with a K 60 or a 7500. Then I think it is time to replace the man and not the machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                      Wrong. How do you clean a 75 foot kitchen or laundry drain with a 39? I use the K-380 all the time.
                      With this

Comment

With this

Ok so which is better? A K-380 or Steve's setup?

J.C.

Comment

My K-380 does a better job because I use 3/8" cable instead of that dinky cable steve uses.
                          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

here's the issue i see with steves set up.

how do you control the drill to start and stop. do you need a hand on the switch, or a zip tie? if there was a remote switch to free up the switch hand, then it's safer.

the drill motor either has a high speed low torque or low speed higher torque range.

i know that the drill trying to start and stop a 75' cable requires a lot more torque to get it up to speed. the ideal range of speed for a drum is approx. 200 rpm. a 380 spins at 190 rpm under no load with a 1/3 h.p motor. how do you maintain the required speed without your hand on the drill? that only leaves 1 hand to feed and retrieve the cable.

my 12 volt 750 machine is a true 1/2 h.p motor and draws 40 amps under load. has a foot control and reverse. still maintains the auto feed.

of course i run a deep cycle battery to power this up.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              here's the issue i see with steves set up.

how do you control the drill to start and stop. do you need a hand on the switch, or a zip tie? if there was a remote switch to free up the switch hand, then it's safer.

the drill motor either has a high speed low torque or low speed higher torque range.

i know that the drill trying to start and stop a 75' cable requires a lot more torque to get it up to speed. the ideal range of speed for a drum is approx. 200 rpm. a 380 spins at 190 rpm under no load with a 1/3 h.p motor. how do you maintain the required speed without your hand on the drill? that only leaves 1 hand to feed and retrieve the cable.

my 12 volt 750 machine is a true 1/2 h.p motor and draws 40 amps under load. has a foot control and reverse. still maintains the auto feed.

of course i run a deep cycle battery to power this up.

rick.
                              I don't know about the torque necessary for what he does with it. But it must be adequate as he is making it work.

As far as one hand on the cable, it doesn't seem that much different than running a K-60.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X