Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Machine Recommendations for small drains

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
    I did not realize Rick was a cheapskate.. Though I should have known by the way he makes his millshakes
    Okay Rick is only half as cheap as I thought he was. He has agreed to pay Joey's way to Disney World as long as she goes with Brenda and I and he doesn't have to go.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I think I would look around the rental places and see if one of them has the machine you would like and rent it and give it a try first. You can stick a lot of money in buying equipment then find out it wont work for you. I have seen a lot of folks try the same thing they buy a machine to save money. I have a shed full of machines that I traded cleaning work for because it didn't work out. Some times it was because it was too heavy ,one customer got rid of his because it broke his little finger when it caught his glove. another got shocks when he run on a basement floor, and I have one with a big dent in it caused when the guy who had it fell from the roof. I have one that did work for the guy but he sold it because he didn't like working Sundays holidays or going out in the middle of the night in the ice and snow, plus every one of his relation and friends thought it would be nice to have him do there drains for free too. So the first thing to ask your self do I know how to keep this from happening to me. cleaning a drain is a skill. I have heard people talk, some even on this forum that anyone can do it it's not rocket science . Well I hope the people on the forum are just joking around because anyone who say's that is just some one who wants to sell you a replacement job they have never truly tried to get a drain clean. It takes skill to know why the drain is not open even when the other end is sticking out of the pipe, what to do if the cable wont go the right way. What to do if you got a basement filling with water and waste, how not to break an elbow when you drill, how to keep that machine from killing you. And there have been a lot of men get killed with them. yes the new ones have safety devices built in but that is no guarantee I have had GFI's fail, handles get stuck and not disengage, cables snap under tork, or a peace break off and hit you like a bullet. I had one machine explode when the home owner put something down that was flammable to try to clear the drain. And if there is any thing going around your going to catch it. So lets see you have to know what will blow up. how not to get killed with gases or get yourself electrocuted what is in a basement that might be dangerous when mixed with water. Just about what you would need to know to oh say ah build a rocket' plus maybe a little more look it up your self on the web. Well this is getting a bit off subject but if you can be comfortable with all that is involved and spend some time learning and some money then I say find a rental try it out, if it works for you then you will know. If that model don't you will have saved your self a lot of money and headaches

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
        Yes, I eluded to that on that posting of mine where the guy cabled through a toilet.

Now "I" personally would not perform the task that way, but then again it was rental property so maybe that task fits the job well.

I don't think I could poke 5/16" through a basket strainer, forcing me to lose all top down clog removals on kitchen sinks.

I don't like the weight of the 81, at all. Too much and lopsides my body carrying it. I'm all for lighter materials, even if it means less longevity of those replaceable parts.

I'd like to say I have an "open mind" about the K-50. I see the drum attachment as an answer to some problems I've encountered with the 81 and the 100 when I'd rather lump the machine onto a shelf, laundry washing machine or what have you.
        I borrowed / rented that K50 over the weekend. I love the total light weight and the last job it was sitting on top of a washing machine-very handy-. It still needs 20' of guide hose and 3 of them full and it might be perfect. The cable flies down the pipe- pulls out easy but those crappy 7' sections are a pain. My knees hurt from moving around so much putting sections together from other jobs. I could make that thing awesome I think, but not 7' at a time. I was at another job I thought was a soft blockage, so I thought I would give it a try. Big cement area so I connected 3sections together at a time. it worked fine like that.

What the heck is this thread about anyway. I hope I'm not giving advise to a nonplumber /nondraincleaner.
        Last edited by saysflushable; 01-03-2009, 08:03 PM. Reason: wrong word

Comment

The K-50 is my number one favorite machine.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by gtmerkley View Post
            I think I would look around the rental places and see if one of them has the machine you would like and rent it and give it a try first. You can stick a lot of money in buying equipment then find out it wont work for you. I have seen a lot of folks try the same thing they buy a machine to save money. I have a shed full of machines that I traded cleaning work for because it didn't work out. Some times it was because it was too heavy ,one customer got rid of his because it broke his little finger when it caught his glove. another got shocks when he run on a basement floor, and I have one with a big dent in it caused when the guy who had it fell from the roof. I have one that did work for the guy but he sold it because he didn't like working Sundays holidays or going out in the middle of the night in the ice and snow, plus every one of his relation and friends thought it would be nice to have him do there drains for free too. So the first thing to ask your self do I know how to keep this from happening to me. cleaning a drain is a skill. I have heard people talk, some even on this forum that anyone can do it it's not rocket science . Well I hope the people on the forum are just joking around because anyone who say's that is just some one who wants to sell you a replacement job they have never truly tried to get a drain clean. It takes skill to know why the drain is not open even when the other end is sticking out of the pipe, what to do if the cable wont go the right way. What to do if you got a basement filling with water and waste, how not to break an elbow when you drill, how to keep that machine from killing you. And there have been a lot of men get killed with them. yes the new ones have safety devices built in but that is no guarantee I have had GFI's fail, handles get stuck and not disengage, cables snap under tork, or a peace break off and hit you like a bullet. I had one machine explode when the home owner put something down that was flammable to try to clear the drain. And if there is any thing going around your going to catch it. So lets see you have to know what will blow up. how not to get killed with gases or get yourself electrocuted what is in a basement that might be dangerous when mixed with water. Just about what you would need to know to oh say ah build a rocket' plus maybe a little more look it up your self on the web. Well this is getting a bit off subject but if you can be comfortable with all that is involved and spend some time learning and some money then I say find a rental try it out, if it works for you then you will know. If that model don't you will have saved your self a lot of money and headaches
            Said with the wisdom of Solomon!

Comment

$200.00? sounds like you've been using rip off rooter. I charge less than that (but more than a handy man or Home Depot parking lot attendant) I'm based next door to you in Kenner.

...or you can go to Home Depot, or Harbor Freight on Airline, they sell a small machine with (I think 3/8 cable which sounds like what you need) don't know what brand it is, but it's cheap (think $250.00) and small enough to bring on the roof.

let me know or good luck, Lenny

Comment

Also, there is a guy in the classifieds of the Times Picayune second page Dial a Pro section that claims "$39.95 Drains Unclogged"

Comment

Working...
                X