Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Machine Recommendations for small drains Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Machine Recommendations for small drains

    What's the best drain cleaning machine to use through a roof stack and for small bathroom drain lines. I have rental houses and they're all old - at least 50 yrs and I'm thinking it might be cheaper to do the drain cleaning myself, as it seems to be a never-ending problem. What would be the most affordable one that would still do a good job? Appreciate any replies.

  • #2
    Re: Machine Recommendations for small drains

    what's your budget


    what size line and what do you pull out of it?

    rick.

    toss up between a k-50 or k-60.
    phoebe it is

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Machine Recommendations for small drains

      It's for residential kitchen and bath lines. Right now there are two bath room vanities with inch and a quarter drains that are real slow drains. I can pay a plumber $200 or maybe get a used machine for $400 I was hoping. I have 7 houses counting my own, so it won't be used too frequently I hope. I already have a K6200(5/8" line) for sewer lines that I was lucky enough to get for $300 on ebay (pick up only so not many bids)so I just need something for the small lines. Thanks for answering.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Machine Recommendations for small drains

        No disrespect intended. You own 7 houses. You have drain problems. I would get a better plumber or drain person.

        I don't have to go back to a drain I've worked on for a looooooong time.

        J.C.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Machine Recommendations for small drains

          Maybe you should include the other six houses in your drain cleaning budget instead of just one. Then it might be a realistic budget.
          I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Machine Recommendations for small drains

            As a novice I would say stay away from sectional machines (K50 not so much but the K60 for sure) IMO they should stay outdoors but the pros that use them everyday after alot of trial and error can use them and not make a mess


            Look for a small drum machine like the Ridgid K-380 or 400 for lighter duty use... The drum will "help" control the mess and the learning curve is not as steep.


            Self property management is tuff but be careful and know your limitations there is a reason we have licenses (Devine and a few others excluded) A machine without the proper training and experience WILL get you into trouble it is just a matter of time....

            When that happens you will have to call me and I will charge you even more to get that cable out and clear the stoppage. Take a look at this post and see what a homeowner started
            http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20834

            Of course you can try to say that you won't do this.... You will




            Okie
            Last edited by OkieBill; 12-31-2008, 09:58 PM. Reason: Had a bit more to say

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Machine Recommendations for small drains

              k-39 for indoor drain traps. 5/16'' x 35'

              k-50 for the rooftop with 5/8'' sectional. no roots.

              a 380 or 400 on a sloped roof is not the easiest to controll.

              rick.
              phoebe it is

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Machine Recommendations for small drains

                Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                k-39 for indoor drain traps. 5/16'' x 35'

                k-50 for the rooftop with 5/8'' sectional. no roots.

                a 380 or 400 on a sloped roof is not the easiest to controll.

                rick.
                And a 50 or a 60 is? Remembering that this is a novice we are talking to..

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Machine Recommendations for small drains

                  A Spartan 81 would be ideal for your situation, given it is variable for all situations on 1.5 drains and sometimes 2" for laundry tubs.


                  Can turn it up on its legs or sideways for sitting iside a tub and hitting an overflow. Contained and 1/4" cable with a bent open hook end will get the drain open without a major issue of damaging pipe along the way.

                  If you buy a drum, buy one with powerfeed as it makes the work simplistic. Hand pulling the cable in and out of the drum isn't the funnest thing to do, and my 81 has no powerfeed. I do however love the option of having a full sink, any sink with nasty water and hitting the clog top down and using the wastewater to clear the obstruction, instead of getting underneath the sink and taking piping apart, bending over, fighting the upturn of the trap if it is glued in.

                  You have to have the "right" scenario for the task, must be the right sink strainer along with end outlet waste.


                  My 81 I can sit on the toilet on a rubber mat and go down the overflow of the tub whether it is full or not, sitting on the ledge of the tub and get it open without dumping out the tub by hand or running the machine inside the tub. Pretty nice.


                  Any cables hitting porcelain is NOT good for the finish and you have to watch that with certain equipment.
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Machine Recommendations for small drains

                    Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                    A Spartan 81 would be ideal for your situation, given it is variable for all situations on 1.5 drains and sometimes 2" for laundry tubs.


                    Can turn it up on its legs or sideways for sitting iside a tub and hitting an overflow. Contained and 1/4" cable with a bent open hook end will get the drain open without a major issue of damaging pipe along the way.

                    If you buy a drum, buy one with powerfeed as it makes the work simplistic. Hand pulling the cable in and out of the drum isn't the funnest thing to do, and my 81 has no powerfeed. I do however love the option of having a full sink, any sink with nasty water and hitting the clog top down and using the wastewater to clear the obstruction, instead of getting underneath the sink and taking piping apart, bending over, fighting the upturn of the trap if it is glued in.

                    You have to have the "right" scenario for the task, must be the right sink strainer along with end outlet waste.


                    My 81 I can sit on the toilet on a rubber mat and go down the overflow of the tub whether it is full or not, sitting on the ledge of the tub and get it open without dumping out the tub by hand or running the machine inside the tub. Pretty nice.


                    Any cables hitting porcelain is NOT good for the finish and you have to watch that with certain equipment.
                    It seems if you like the Spartan 81 (nice machine BTW) you would like the K-50. The both weigh about the same and are both about the same size. However, where the Spartan runs 1/4" and 5/16" the K-50 runs 5/16", 3/8" and 5/8" cables. The 5/16" and 3/8" are used as a drum machine while the 5/8" is used as a sectional machine.

                    Mark
                    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 12-31-2008, 10:57 PM. Reason: oops
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                    I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Machine Recommendations for small drains

                      Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                      It seems if you like the Spartan 81 (nice machine BTW) you would like the K-50. The both weigh about the same and are both about the same size. However, where the Spartan runs 1/4" and 5/16" the K-50 runs 5/16", 3/8" and 5/8" cables. The 5/16" and 3/8" are used as a drum machine while the 5/'* is used as a sectional machine.

                      Mark
                      Where can I buy some 5/'* cable?

                      Thanks.

                      J.C.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Machine Recommendations for small drains

                        Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                        Where can I buy some 5/'* cable?

                        Thanks.

                        J.C.
                        -Sorry I am babysitting Matea and Baylee tonight so I am posting between sprints.

                        Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                        I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Machine Recommendations for small drains

                          Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                          It seems if you like the Spartan 81 (nice machine BTW) you would like the K-50. The both weigh about the same and are both about the same size. However, where the Spartan runs 1/4" and 5/16" the K-50 runs 5/16", 3/8" and 5/8" cables. The 5/16" and 3/8" are used as a drum machine while the 5/'* is used as a sectional machine.

                          Mark

                          Yes, I eluded to that on that posting of mine where the guy cabled through a toilet.


                          Now "I" personally would not perform the task that way, but then again it was rental property so maybe that task fits the job well.


                          I don't think I could poke 5/16" through a basket strainer, forcing me to lose all top down clog removals on kitchen sinks.


                          I don't like the weight of the 81, at all. Too much and lopsides my body carrying it. I'm all for lighter materials, even if it means less longevity of those replaceable parts.



                          I'd like to say I have an "open mind" about the K-50. I see the drum attachment as an answer to some problems I've encountered with the 81 and the 100 when I'd rather lump the machine onto a shelf, laundry washing machine or what have you.
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Machine Recommendations for small drains

                            Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                            -Sorry I am babysitting Matea and Baylee tonight so I am posting between sprints.

                            Mark
                            "We don't allow no Post fixin' 'round here" (Voice from the chain gang boss from Cool Hand Luke)

                            J.C.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Machine Recommendations for small drains

                              The funny part is while I was writing that post my printer with 30 lb bond in it was going crazy. It turned out Baylee (7-year old grand daughter) decided to print her WebKinz Adoption Certificate and while the printer was calibrating she kept hitting print. So.....does anyone have any need for 17-Webkinz Adoption Certificates?

                              Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                              I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X