Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grease Trap Gaskets

Would you spend a great deal of time looking/locating these or

try to make your own, save the dead end hassles and make it a go otherwise?

I want to make it easier for this guy I'm friends with: he takes care of me by sending out advertising with his pizzas from time to time @ no cost. That is massive when you think about how many people that reaches.

He's got 3 grease traps I deal with, and using silicone is out of the question, completely.

Every 3 months is the norm for cleaning, and I was going to make him some new bolts for the lids with wing nuts welded to the heads so he doesn't have to use tools to take the lid off.

Good idea or no?

The gasket material I was going to use that medium red gasket material that comes in different thicknesses.

It's waterproof and I feel I could make it to where they hold up considerably longer than the ones they make for these traps, and possibly use a double stick tape to the lid to secure the gasket so there's no dealing with alignment of the gasket when the lid is put back.

Fighting that gasket on those lids, especially where they cram those damn things is just too hard to deal with when there's got to be a better way.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: Grease Trap Gaskets

I think your way is a better way. Probably a better gasket too than that thing that falls apart the first time you open the thing.

J.C.

Comment

The wing nut is a good idea but make sure you use a heavy duty stainless bolt. The top is always used to store big pots and pans and subject to damage.

What special tools does it take to remove the lid?

What's it cost to have a few extra factory gaskets on site?. Can't be much more than a custom made?

I can't work on a open grease trap without

I did melt out a urinal flange yesterday with a heat gun without even a gag

Comment

Dunbar

Sounds like a good idea to me, You can use silicone to keep the gasket in place on the lid. It will hold up better than double sided tape. Clean the cover/gasket surface good and if you can leave the covers off while the gasket/silicone dries it will prevent it from sticking to the base. Use an Automotive grade silicone from an auto parts store. I like to use permatex black RTV silicone which is also an adhesive. It's grease/oil resistant so it will hold up well.

Comment

it's funny you mention this dunbar.

last year i cleaned a grease trap. the person before me ruined the gasket. as a temporary fix until i could find proper material, i used a wax seal, although it doesn't last very long.

i got ahold of some material almost like neoprene with an adhesive on one side. i used a degreaser to clean the lip on the trap and applied the gasket. i had to cut 4 lengths of it and apply. the compression when the lid was installed closed up the corners real nice.

it was about 5/8" thick. seems to be working, haven't heard anything from the manager since.

Vince

i charged $50/hr for cleaning the trap. nobody else in town would touch it, including the hacks

Comment

Most of the grease traps I see the gaskets have long since disappeared, to little detrimental effect. If there isn't a smell problem, why worry?

agree make the fasteners out of something that won't corrode, ss or brass
            Last edited by Ace Sewer; 01-04-2009, 10:11 PM.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Vince at $50/hr you would be the cheapest guy here by half or more.

I charge $225 for a small trap (45gal or less). Takes me about an hour not counting getting rid of the junk.
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                Most of the grease traps I see the gaskets have long since disappeared, to little detrimental effect. If there isn't a smell problem, why worry?

agree make the fasteners out of something that won't corrode, ss or brass

Because he's telling me it's overflowing when they dump a sink.

You know as well as I do what that means...line is clogged leaving the trap. This is a 2 part problem and I've already mentioned this to him.

I have 3 of these to take care of. I'll post pics as this is my work detail this week.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	cd1a8af30231144eaf94c29fd5d49646.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	555.7 KB
ID:	5226

Name:	0b2ac2d5f20b56b8617d8917b3e1f485.jpg
Size:	551.2 KB
ID:	5227

Name:	6932165d5ebadac66596e52af9acbb19.jpg
Size:	549.8 KB
ID:	5228

Can anyone tell me where to find gaskets for these models?

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                    Vince at $50/hr you would be the cheapest guy here by half or more.

I charge $225 for a small trap (45gal or less). Takes me about an hour not counting getting rid of the junk.
                    i moved south for a while (following a woman, never do that again) than back 6 years later, people forgot that i am a plumber.

i was trying to get my foot in the door but was having a problem with a couple of "southern" die hards.

at the time i was homeless (living in a cabin) and was very desperate for work. i not proud of the predicament i had gotton into (depression can be overwhelming), but i had to feed myself and try to help support my kids.

i guess i have the wrong skin colour because the hotel hired a full time guy from the south. now they're paying through the nose to house him and keep him working.

this "guy" thinks he can clear a frozen sewer service with a drain cleaner.

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post

Can anyone tell me where to find gaskets for these models?
                      Just make them yourself. Used to make my own gaskets on car parts all the time. Place your gasket paper on the surface with a little grease to hold it in place and tap the edge around with a ball peen hammer(round side). Just tap it lightly. Make a gasket for a water pump in less than 5 minutes, bolt holes and all.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

sorry to open this can of worms, but how can prep sinks with no air gaps not get dinged by health inspector?

as to the gaskets i've got to agree; you'll spend more time finding them than you will making them, and the ones you make will actually fit.
                        Last edited by Ace Sewer; 01-07-2009, 12:23 AM.

Comment

I was supposed to go over there tonight and pull the one metal one off, make a gasket, but my body is killing me from being in a crawlspace and didn't want to stand for a time cleaning, making that new gasket.

I've put this off till tomorrow, got a good excuse; the gasket material didn't come in.

Comment

The correct gaskets for grease traps are about $13/ ft. from Zurn. I buy the same stuff from the custom window shop three doors down for $1.33/ft.
                            Just make your own.
                            Mike
                            Last edited by myakka; 01-07-2009, 06:58 AM. Reason: to complete the thought

Comment

I always have a little 45 mil rubber pond liner left over from my koi ponds

it makes good gasket mat..

Comment

Working...
                              X