X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain question

Just bought a K 60 last month and love it outside but any ideas on clean, safe ways to use indoors. Thanks
    You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Re: Drain question

Ask Rick.

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingParamedics View Post
      Just bought a K 60 last month and love it outside but any ideas on clean, safe ways to use indoors. Thanks
      I've heard of using a bucket, but Plumber Rick would have to chime in on that one...........
      I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingParamedics View Post

All clear sewer can tell you all about it
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

rick it is

keep in mind that a sectional machine and drum machine both will have exposed cable going into the drain opening. the sectional will also have the rear of the cable to contend with.

so the real issue is protecting the rear cable from slop

most importantly is actually clearing the drain and being able to wash off the muck from the cable prior to retrieving the cable.

the nice thing with the sectional is the cable spins much faster 3x (625 rpm) and being open wind there is little area for water to stay caught. so actually the cable will come back much dryer as it's spun faster and open wind

a simple trick is to run the guide hose to the outside and retrieve the cable from an open door assuming it's not more than 15-30' this way any muck is contained in the hose and diverted outside to drip.

once again if the drain is cleared and water was flushed down, the cable should be pretty clean and dry.

also if the cable will pull straight out without having to run the machine. a guide hose can be used to sleeve the section right outside. the cable will stop in an instant when the clutch handle

i've worked on white carpets to access cleanouts and have yet to need to clean any carpets. this goes true for both the years i've run drums and sectionals the last 2 years.

experience and foreseeing the potential issues will protect you and the customer.

5/8'' x 7.5' cable are real easy. they can easily be run back into a 5 gallon bucket or a mixing tub like used for mortar. in fact i keep the machine inside the mixing tub.

i use a rubber backed entry carpet that is water proof and protects the floor around my work area. these are usually 30'' x 60''.

hope this has helped.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
            I've heard of using a bucket, but Plumber Rick would have to chime in on that one...........
            And remember a cloth to put on the floor.

Tony

Comment

I'm not Rick so I'm not sure if it's alright for me to answer but here's some of the things I do:

-Bring the cage inside wrapped with a drop cloth and postion next to the cleanout.
              -unwrap the drop cloth and bring in the k60 on the drop cloth.
              -When you put the guide hose down, loop the end back towards you.
              -the cable is all left together with the male end coming out first.
              -feed the cable straight into the back end of the guide hose and disconnect the first section.
              -Put your cutter on and feed directly by hand into the C/O
              -when you can't feed anymore disconnect from the reel and attach to cable in the k60
              -add more cable from back end. The most cable you'll have exposed is 2' at any given time.
              -When you retrive the cable, pull directly from C/O into reel.
              -wrap your drop cloth around everything, including k60 and guide hose, and take out side.

Cardboard from WH make for great splash guards. I use them all the time. If there's even a remote possibility for me to go on the roof, I go on the roof. Screw snaking from inside.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                I'm not Rick so I'm not sure if it's alright for me to answer but here's some of the things I do:

Cardboard from WH make for great splash guards. I use them all the time. If there's even a remote possibility for me to go on the roof, I go on the roof. Screw snaking from inside.
                just like i would do too

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...light=k60+cart

This is what I use the majority of the time. My little giant goes on it and I can cart the entire schebang right to my work space.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thanks guys i didnt know it comes with the guide hose the one i bought didnt have one nor did any one i ever used. But with that it makes more sense. Most of my drain cleaning experiance is with the k6800 but sence i opened up i wanted to try a better machine so i got the k60 and love it so far.
                    You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                      If there's even a remote possibility for me to go on the roof, I go on the roof. Screw snaking from inside.
                      DING DING DING!!! We have a winner

Comment

it`s a sectional machine, so just make your mess and tell em thats the best I can do
                        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

I get into a lot of tight places with the K-60, and looping the guide hose back toward me isn't always a good option. But I usually feed the cable from the front of the machine anyway. If using 5/8" cable, I can put two of them into the guide hose at a time.

And I always try to rinse the cable good before bringing it back. I have Ridgid snake oil in a spray bottle and as soon as I get it outside I spray the cable to keep it from rusting. Easy to do in the open cage.

Have to admit - I still haven't figured out how to do overhead drains with it . . . but should the need arise, I bet I can come up with something.

Comment

Originally posted by Herk View Post
                            Have to admit - I still haven't figured out how to do overhead drains with it . . . but should the need arise, I bet I can come up with something.
                            herk, i've set mine ontop of a little giant ladder. a good bungy or ratchet strap will secure it nicely.

the little giant works good as the top of the "a frame" ladder is adjustable every foot.

i've had it as high as 8' off the ground. a trash can also works good for 4' wall openings.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

its a sectional, so you will have a mess, and you will most likely never see a bathroom drain or any, for that matter that is 7 foot away from the drain your cleaning atleast around here in ohio you wont!!! you will miss the drum machine

if you never used a sectional and are starting, it will take a few for you to understand what precautions to take so not to make a mess--noone snakes the same way, so u will know what works good for you----sectionals just take a little more setup and cleanup

Comment

Working...
                              X