Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water jetter, hard choice

Hi Guys

I'm about to open a drain cleaning company and I'm having a difficult time chosing the right machines! I've been told the holding of a water jetter is very crutial as it tends to completely clear drains especially when there are firmly bonded grease deposits or mud debris. I honestly don't know much about jetters and which one would be most suitable for my work.
    I've been surfing the intrnet for some time lately, and all jetters above 3gpm seem to come with gasoline engines. That scares me because I am not a professional in using jetters and I'll be spending 95% of my time cleaning indoor drains ( 1.25" to 6") in buildings with confined spaces and inadequate ventilation ,so i;m afraid extra fumes could be causing explosion hasards, not to mention the related health issues due to inhaling the CO2 all the time!

The only good electrical jetter I believe to have found is that of Rothenberger, it's an HD 17/190 (17 liters = 4.49 gallons and 190bar = 2755 psi) but i am not sure whether thats enough for cleaning drains up to 6'' and 7''. What do you suggest? shall i buy it or do I go for a gasoline jetter What kind of jetter do you guys own?

I would be very thankful for your answers and help
    Gary

Re: water jetter, hard choice

US Jetter or Harben. There are other brands and companies out there too though. Either trailer mounted unit or van/truck mounted (with whole lot of extra hose on a remote reel that you can take inside with you) unit would be my choice. Since you say you're dealing with up to 6"-7", you'll need a powerful jetter. An electric powered unit just ain't gonna do it. For the 1.25" drains, an electric unit might cut it.
    IMO, anything from 3"-8" requires at least 4K PSI and 18 GPH using a 1/2" diameter hose in order to properly clean and flush the line. Beyond that, it's a whole different ball game. Larger unit, Higher PSI, more GPH, flushing capability etc.
    But before I go any further, it requires a good deal of skill and experience to properly and effectively run a larger jetter like the one I think you'll need. Also, you'll need a well rounded bunch of cable machines first. If you're primarily working from inside as you say, a jetter is only going to make a bigger mess unless you first use a cable to initially clear the line and get it draining. Only then can you proceed with jetting. Outside or areas where the back flow can be contained with no chance of damaging property or if the line is already open is when the jetter can be used as first resort. If you're simply doing preventative maintenance on semi clean lines, then yeah, the jetter is great for that. Do yourself a favor though and try to hook up with someone with some jetter/drain cleaning experience first (I don't know just how easy that may or may not be in Lebanon). Academics are one thing, but application is another.
    Last edited by Twicepipes; 01-05-2009, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Hi Gary,

I am not sure about the specs you mentioned. 1st I can`t imagine a Rothenberger blaster giving that amount of water at that pressure, it`s either one only as electric water blasters can have a maximum of app. 3 kW, and that definetly wouldn`t give you these numbers.

And I thing in 6" or 7" (never seen that size) it is a total waste of time and money, apart from the hassle when on site maybe the customer being present and it ain`t unblock and the emberrasment when it happens repeatedly and it surely will.

2nd if you would be able to get a decent waterblaster inside, the fumes are burnt gasoline hence no explosion can occur you may fall unconsious and pass away, that`s all.

Get a waterblaster with a hose to a foot pedal which you have inside. From there it feeds to the reel which goes into the drains. So you keep the waterblaster outside and no fumes inside, it`s that easy

Hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by Twicepipes View Post
        US Jetter or Harben. There are other brands and companies out there too though. Either trailer mounted unit or van/truck mounted (with whole lot of extra hose on a remote reel that you can take inside with you) unit would be my choice. Since you say you're dealing with up to 6"-7", you'll need a powerful jetter. An electric powered unit just ain't gonna do it. For the 1.25" drains, an electric unit might cut it.
        IMO, anything from 3"-8" requires at least 4K PSI and 18 GPH using a 1/2" diameter hose in order to properly clean and flush the line. Beyond that, it's a whole different ball game. Larger unit, Higher PSI, more GPH, flushing capability etc.
        But before I go any further, it requires a good deal of skill and experience to properly and effectively run a larger jetter like the one I think you'll need. Also, you'll need a well rounded bunch of cable machines first. If you're primarily working from inside as you say, a jetter is only going to make a bigger mess unless you first use a cable to initially clear the line and get it draining. Only then can you proceed with jetting. Outside or areas where the back flow can be contained with no chance of damaging property or if the line is already open is when the jetter can be used as first resort. If you're simply doing preventative maintenance on semi clean lines, then yeah, the jetter is great for that. Do yourself a favor though and try to hook up with someone with some jetter/drain cleaning experience first (I don't know just how easy that may or may not be in Lebanon). Academics are one thing, but application is another.

Hi,

thanks for your helpful information.

The 6"-7" are very rare, I think I'll be doing 2"- 4" drains most of the time unless I get some jobs in industries or hotels, where they ought to have larger drains.

Unfortunately there is just one company with 1 van here in Lebanon who does drain cleaning. But on the other side its not that bad hehe.I guess this way I won't run into much competition, especially that I would be new to this kind of job and won't have enough skills at the start.

THE 4K PSI and 18 GPH seems to be really enormous, and as a start up I’ m not sure I’m ready to spend more than 5K on a jetter. I don’t even know yet how things will turn out with this new job.

It's a good idea to put the jetter outside though, I haven't thought of it before. Would it take more than one person to do the job then? What alternative jetter can you think of that is best for me? maybe a 3190psi and 5.27 gasoline?

Comment

Originally posted by dabbi View Post
          Hi Gary,

I am not sure about the specs you mentioned. 1st I can`t imagine a Rothenberger blaster giving that amount of water at that pressure, it`s either one only as electric water blasters can have a maximum of app. 3 kW, and that definetly wouldn`t give you these numbers.

And I thing in 6" or 7" (never seen that size) it is a total waste of time and money, apart from the hassle when on site maybe the customer being present and it ain`t unblock and the emberrasment when it happens repeatedly and it surely will.

2nd if you would be able to get a decent waterblaster inside, the fumes are burnt gasoline hence no explosion can occur you may fall unconsious and pass away, that`s all.

Get a waterblaster with a hose to a foot pedal which you have inside. From there it feeds to the reel which goes into the drains. So you keep the waterblaster outside and no fumes inside, it`s that easy

Hope that helps

Hi dabby,

You're right. I've checked on the Rothenberger jetter once more, and it ain't just a normal waterblaster, it's a 5KW, 400 Volts!! hehe
          I've read the electrical part and overlooked the part that says three-phase alternating current!! well.. lets just say I was about to make the BEST purchase of the year!

Btw, can you please tell me what the foot pedal stands for and briefly explain how a jetter is used?

Now don’t laugh at me but I’ve heard that the cable is driven into the drain by the thrust caused by a propulsion nozzle. It sounds like this already does most of the work.. so where’s my part of the job?

Thank you for your help

Comment

Just starting out there are choices to make of course, buy too small and you will not be effective. Trailer jetters cost a lot and you have not built up the business yet. 3-4 inch lines with a 6 inch every now and then well buy a 18-22 hp honda motor, a pump that does 12 gallons per minute at 3000 psi and that will take care of your needs, you will need a water tank as well. If this is beyond you then get a 5-8 gpm pump and 13hp honda a very common pressure washer and buy some jetter hose and a few other items and your ready to go on a budget.
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by sunseeker View Post
              Hi,

thanks for your helpful information.

The 6"-7" are very rare, I think I'll be doing 2"- 4" drains most of the time unless I get some jobs in industries or hotels, where they ought to have larger drains.

Unfortunately there is just one company with 1 van here in Lebanon who does drain cleaning. But on the other side its not that bad hehe.I guess this way I won't run into much competition, especially that I would be new to this kind of job and won't have enough skills at the start.

THE 4K PSI and 18 GPH seems to be really enormous, and as a start up I’ m not sure I’m ready to spend more than 5K on a jetter. I don’t even know yet how things will turn out with this new job.

It's a good idea to put the jetter outside though, I haven't thought of it before. Would it take more than one person to do the job then? What alternative jetter can you think of that is best for me? maybe a 3190psi and 5.27 gasoline?
              Well, a trailer jetter is expensive and probably not in your interest right now. I was hung up on the fact that you would be cleaning 6"+ lines. A little tiny 3/8" hose @5 or 6 GPH isn't gonna clean diddly crap in that case. A lot of manufacturers of cart-mounted jetters advertise up to 10" pipe cleaning capability. Don't believe it. 3"-4" max. 4" is even pushing it IMO. I agree with Cuda too. I'll PM you a couple links.

-Twice

PS- Aren't you're just about in the middle of a sh*t storm over there in Beirut?

Comment

Originally posted by Twicepipes View Post
                Well, a trailer jetter is expensive and probably not in your interest right now. I was hung up on the fact that you would be cleaning 6"+ lines. A little tiny 3/8" hose @5 or 6 GPH isn't gonna clean diddly crap in that case. A lot of manufacturers of cart-mounted jetters advertise up to 10" pipe cleaning capability. Don't believe it. 3"-4" max. 4" is even pushing it IMO. I agree with Cuda too. I'll PM you a couple links.

-Twice

PS- Aren't you're just about in the middle of a sh*t storm over there in Beirut?
                Thx for the info! A jetter seems to be a real complicated thing, and making the right choice about it an exhausting process and non attainable end. I think I'll start with an electrical jetter @ 3 GPM just now and gradually add more powerful ones according to demand.

Beirut is fine. This is a mixed place. The name "Petit Paris" meaning little Paris used to be attributed to it until people decided to screW it up.
                Google Lebanon if interested. I guess you'll learn some worth knowing stuff

Comment

Working...
                X